Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IOS 13 not working with Tesla App [Update: check Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth > Make sure that Tesla is enabled

You may have dismissed it on accident when it asked upon first app launch after upgrade. Apple is tightening privacy controls for apps that request bluetooth access.
Yup, to the point that the OS will ask you if you want to continue allowing an app to use Bluetooth if it has been using it a lot in the background. Make sure you respond appropriately; allow it to do so.

Reactions: Lakeshow24
Yup, to the point that the OS will ask you if you want to continue allowing an app to use Bluetooth if it has been using it a lot in the background. Make sure you respond appropriately; allow it to do so.

Indeed. It's a great step forward for privacy, but may cause some issues up front if people don't understand what's being asked.

Of the 6 apps that have asked for Bluetooth access on my phone so far, Tesla is the only one that makes sense for me to allow access. It's shocking how many apps ask for it that don't need it/don't add value to the user by enabling it.

I was wondering about why Apple added the check, and why so many apps were trying to use Bluetooth.

It turns out Apps were using Bluetooth to identify you when you entered a store or other location and do who knows what with that information.

Here’s why so many apps are asking to use Bluetooth on iOS 13

Reactions: N.Y.R.
Are the doors supposed to unlock if the app is NOT running in the background? I have never had that happen. Only time the doors will unlock is if the app is running in the background. If I totally close the app it does not work. Id love to know what is supposed to happen
  • Model 3 LR RWD
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iOS 13
  • 3.10.0 app version
  • Location set to always
  • Bluetooth access allowed
Let me know! Thanks!

Are the doors supposed to unlock if the app is NOT running in the background? I have never had that happen. Only time the doors will unlock is if the app is running in the background. If I totally close the app it does not work. Id love to know what is supposed to happen
  • Model 3 LR RWD
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iOS 13
  • 3.10.0 app version
  • Location set to always
Let me know! Thanks!

Tesla suggests leaving the app open in the background, but the key functionality should work regardless.

Apple recommends to never close (force close) apps unless one is having a problem. Not had a problem with iOS 13 at all (was on 13.1 (beta 4) from day 1 with new phones).

If Tesla app issues, best to delete app and redownload as mentioned. Note that even logging out and back on in will reset some app notification settings, so be sure to check everything (car and energy).

I just updated my iPhone X to iOS 13. I then went into Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth and noted that the Tesla app was not shown there. I opened the Tesla app and it immediately displayed a message asking me if I wanted to enable Bluetooth access, and I indicated I did.

I exited the Tesla app, went back to Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth and it showed the Tesla app listed.

Went to my garage and my Model 3 opened without my having to open the Tesla app on my phone (of course it was running in the background).

My Tile app also requested Bluetooth access. As noted above, this is a new thing with iOS 13.

• Model 3 LR RWD
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iOS 13
  • 3.10.0 app version
  • Location set to always
Let me know! Thanks!
The manual says you must remain logged to your Tesla account with the correct car selected - totally closing the app means that isn't the case. The phone isn't a key when it isn't logged in. Bluetooth maybe allowed, but if there isn't an app running it doesn't do any good.

iOS really has a different concept of "background" then some people think. There are only a few scenarios where an app is able to operate in the background, and functionality is restricted to those scenarios. Call-based apps (Skype, WhatsApp, etc) are examples of one scenario the iOS allows.

To demonstrate that the Tesla app is not really running in the background, force close the app (double tap the home button or long slide up from the bottom home bar). Then scroll to the Tesla app and close it. Now walk up to the car. It will unlock. This assumes that you were logged into the Tesla app and, if you have multiple cars, that the car you are trying to unlock was the last one selected. This all happens with Bluetooth handshaking, which then activates the Tesla app functionality to confirm the unlock process.

The technical process of unlocking the car using the unlock icon in the app goes over the LTE connectivity. The process for unlocking the car with proximity goes through Bluetooth.

Reactions: liuping