Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS 15 can no longer connect locally to energy gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a problem with the energy gateway or an issue on Tesla’s side. If others are seeing the following, then it may be an iOS 15 bug.

Prior to iOS 15, if I went to the ip of my energy gateway I would have to go through some hoops and click to ignore warnings to proceed to the site. This is because the gateway is using a self-signed certificate. On iOS 15 I am greeted with a gray page with no text. There is no warning or ability to proceed to the site.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Apple I think is enforcing ATS for all web site that Mobile Safari connects to. If you have an MacBook Pro with Big Sur, you can run a command to test out ATS compatibility on the self signed certificate in the Powerwall Gateway. I'm guessing it's failing on multiple ATS posture checks which might explain why Safari is failing to connect.

Alternatively, have you tried Chrome for iPhone to see if it has the same issue. I think Chrome is more forgiving when it comes to posture checks against SSL certificates...

/usr/bin/nscurl --ats-diagnostics --verbose <put_in_URL_of_your_Powerwall_gateway_here>

I was going to say the same, use another browser :) . I'll test this when I get my new phone tomorrow, but I'm assuming there are no options to disable any of the 'new security'. Thanks, Apple! At least we CAN load FF or Chrome....

I used to connect locally all the time when the updates blew up the wifi or other issues, but recently it seems they've made it pretty seamless.

That is not the case. I can’t access my firewall by name that matches the name on its self-signed cert. I guess the cert just needs to be trusted on the device. I could go through the trouble of doing that, but I’m just going to use Chrome.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_
For what it’s worth, I just tried and I had no problems connecting to my system using safari on my iPhone 12 with iOS 15. It came up with the normal warnings about the cert, but I was able to bypass them and connect.

D72D6E1B-03EE-4323-971B-FE1261CF85FC.png

Reactions: morph3ous
Prior to iOS 15, if I went to the ip of my energy gateway I would have to go through some hoops and click to ignore warnings to proceed to the site. This is because the gateway is using a self-signed certificate. On iOS 15 I am greeted with a gray page with no text. There is no warning or ability to proceed to the site.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Just logged in to my Gateway2 with iPhone 12 & iOS15 and got the usual warning dialogs and was able to click on "See Details" and follow up with passwords to get in successfully.

Reactions: morph3ous
Just logged in to my Gateway2 with iPhone 12 & iOS15 and got the usual warning dialogs and was able to click on "See Details" and follow up with passwords to get in successfully.

That’s so weird. When I first noticed the issue on both my iPhone and iPad, I asked a friend if he was having issues connecting to any of the devices on his network with self-signed certs using Safari on iOS 15. He told me it was working fine for him as well.

Maybe it is related to some way I have set something on both my devices. Is anyone else experiencing the problem? It may only be me.

Were you able to figure this out?

I cannot connect to the teg2 on my iPhone 13 pro on iOS 15.5 using safari, but I can on Firefox

I can also still connect to the teg2 on my iPhone X on iOS 15.2 on safari

As far as I can tell all my settings are the same on the X and 13 pro (other than the iOS version)