Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS app 2.5 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a very nice update.

How nice it would be if (all) in-car software releases had current release notes as does the smartphone app.

Even that one single line about bug fixes and minor enhancements is helpful. Why? Glad you asked. Well, in part, because if that's the only release note, then one need not expect other, perhaps more substantive changes to the user experience from that release.

They have been getting better with the in car release notes showing incremental changes on the latest releases instead of regurgitating the point release notes.

I've been afraid to press this thing. Is there at least a confirmation to avoid accidental mass emails?

Yes. Once you press it, it displays the message and a list of your contacts from your phone. Presumably if I continued, it would have opened a usual email sheet like when emailing a photo. Among other things, that would have to let you pick which email address to send the invite from as I have like 10-12 emails on my phone.

They have been getting better with the in car release notes showing incremental changes on the latest releases instead of regurgitating the point release notes.

Perhaps, although the last 3 releases at least that I've received have all had the same copy of release notes, so there's really no idea whatsoever of what it is we're changing, if anything functional at all, before driving down the road.

For example, that security patch that was recently sent wouldn't alter user experience at all - should be completely unnoticeable and the 1-liner referenced above would entirely suffice for the public. However, recent TACC changes have been significant.

There are best practices for a reason, right?

It's an easy process improvement fix. I imagine they'll get to it before someone wraps their car around a tree and wonders of it had something to do with an update that they were directed to install blind without the benefit of documentation before or after. Might as well just push the release without user involvement if that's the case.

The company is based in California - you'd think they'd know better :) - which is in part why Apple recommends notes with every release.

It's an easy process improvement fix. I imagine they'll get to it before someone wraps their car around a tree and wonders of it had something to do with an update that they were directed to install blind without the benefit of documentation before or after. Might as well just push the release without user involvement if that's the case.
The user involvement with the install process, as I'm sure you know, is because the car can't be used while it's updating. When the UI or a function changes, the release notes say so. If it's just a bug fix I don't see the issue in not having a release note. I don't wonder if something functional is changing because I know if it was something important, Tesla would say so in a release note.

Honestly pretty disappointed in the official Tesla app and very disappointed that this update didn't come with iPhone 6/6+ screen support. It's just embarrassing at this point that they can't get that updated. I thought Remote S was a bit steep at $10, but it's all I use now and the more I use it, the more I find it's worth the money. Amazing that Remote S, using an unofficial API, is able to offer far more features (with more likely coming soon), run significantly faster, and provide far more frequent updates. I love just about everything about my Tesla, but the app is a bit of a sore spot.