Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS app logged me out & "forgot" my key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to re-enter my login credentials only to discover the key functionality on the app was deleted. I had to use the card to get back in the car, delete the key (which the iOS app just forgot) and re-add the key to the app.

This isn't the first time this has happened. It seems to happen once every few months. I can't be the only one...

Always keep a backup key card with you!

Actually, You can unlock and start the car and drive with just the app in the "Controls" section of the app so you don't need the keycard or the app setup as a phone key. Not as smooth as having the app setup as your key, but you won't be stranded.
Heck, even if you somehow lose both, just text/call your significant other and have them open and start the car and you need neither. No significant other?...text/call a friend and give them your password to sign in as you and unlock and start the car (then remember to change your pwd pretty quick).

You won't be able to add the phone key without the keycard, but at least there isn't a ever situation where you would be stranded (unless you don't have your phone, your keycard, and there is no-one around with a phone or a phone nearby).

Actually, You can unlock and start the car and drive with just the app in the "Controls" section of the app so you don't need the keycard or the app setup as a phone key. Not as smooth as having the app setup as your key, but you won't be stranded.
Heck, even if you somehow lose both, just text/call your significant other and have them open and start the car and you need neither. No significant other?...text/call a friend and give them your password to sign in as you and unlock and start the car (then remember to change your pwd pretty quick).

You won't be able to add the phone key without the keycard, but at least there isn't a ever situation where you would be stranded (unless you don't have your phone, your keycard, and there is no-one around with a phone or a phone nearby).

Is this really true? Would the car really let me put it in gear and start driving if I didn't have the key card and if my phone was only paired over Bluetooth and not activated as a key? This seems like a huge security breach to me.

Either way, the app shouldn't spontaneously reset itself and delete the key without warning.

Yes it will. Try it for yourself.
As far as the security is concerned....it’s as secure as your password is. If you think it’s too much, you always have the PIN to drive.
And yes, I agree with you about the losing your phone key association. I had that happen last week but attributed it to the server issues tesla had.

[edit] oh. And check your notifications in the app.One were reset last week around the same time.

Is this really true? Would the car really let me put it in gear and start driving if I didn't have the key card and if my phone was only paired over Bluetooth and not activated as a key? This seems like a huge security breach to me.
The bluetooth pairing doesn't matter. If the app is logged in, you can use the unlock button and the start button to drive - assuming you have a network connection. (Cellular or WiFi)

I keep my key card in my wallet. I have had my phone die on me during the day, and having the keycard made it a non-issue.

Eventually we should be add our keycard into iphones and apple watches.... and then iOS lets you specific emergency cards that you can use when the phone is out of power....

good thing iOS remembers my passwords so re-logging into the Tesla app twice a year isn't a big deal.

I had to re-enter my login credentials only to discover the key functionality on the app was deleted. I had to use the card to get back in the car, delete the key (which the iOS app just forgot) and re-add the key to the app.

This isn't the first time this has happened. It seems to happen once every few months. I can't be the only one...

Always keep a backup key card with you!

Never had that happen, but i'm on Android.

I believe forcing users to reenter credentials is a security feature. We can count ourselves lucky that it doesn't happen more often. It's always at the worse moment too...
The part about the phone not being authenticated as a key anymore is weirder. Did you uninstall and reinstall the app? That will lose association.