Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS app not connecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're out-of-town away from both our Teslas and the iOS Tesla apps on both of our phones have only been very rarely connecting to either car for the last week. The apps spin and say "Waking car..." even though both cars are set to "Always Connected" and both have strong WiFi signals in the garage together back home. The apps eventually say "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not be Made".

Before calling Tesla, since we are having this problem on 2 phones and 2 Teslas, we thought we would ask here to see if it might be a system-wide problem. Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossy
We're out-of-town away from both our Teslas and the iOS Tesla apps on both of our phones have only been very rarely connecting to either car for the last week. The apps spin and say "Waking car..." even though both cars are set to "Always Connected" and both have strong WiFi signals in the garage together back home. The apps eventually say "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not be Made".

Before calling Tesla, since we are having this problem on 2 phones and 2 Teslas, we thought it might be a system-wide problem. Is anyone else but us was having this problem?

Im connecting fine, just recently can't get to notification settings.

Do you have any other cloud connected internet devices on your home network?

Like a Nest Camera or a SmartThings?

What it sounds like to me is your home network is down, and so you can't connect to your car. I've had that happen on occasion, and I have to reboot my home router.

Reactions: Rossy
Do you have any other cloud connected internet devices on your home network?

Like a Nest Camera or a SmartThings?

What it sounds like to me is your home network is down, and so you can't connect to your car. I've had that happen on occasion, and I have to reboot my home router.

Thanks. Have tried the reboot of my routers and switches, as well as using both WiFi and LTE on the MS, my iPad and iPhone, rebooting the iPhone, signing-on/off the app, and even reinstalling the Tesla App on my phone - all with the same response. The network is up, as Slacker works in my MS when its sitting in my garage connected to WiFi. The odd thing is MS reports correctly on everything else via the Tesla App and I can bi-directionally communicate with it e.g. to do a trip charge as I started a few minutes ago before I leave. Alas, Notifications remains a rotating icon in every scenario. I truly believe Tesla has introduced a bug of some sort somewhere along the line.

I'm confused. You said your cars are parked in the garage and you're away, but then in a follow up post said you were able to set the car to range charge for your trip, implying the car isn't at home and the app is now working?

I'm confused. You said your cars are parked in the garage and you're away, but then in a follow up post said you were able to set the car to range charge for your trip, implying the car isn't at home and the app is now working?
I believe your confusion is between my problem and Bert's problem. I'm the OP.

My problem is that we're out-of-town and both of our phones have only been very rarely connecting to either car back home in our garage. I have many other things on my home network that are working solid, including a Slingbox streaming TV. When I first open my app, the initial attempt to connect is more likely to work, but subsequent attempts almost always fail. This is true for both our phones and both our cars.

I've had a similar "Waking car" issue as the OP intermittently yesterday and today and I also have mine set to "Always Connected." However, if I kill the app on the iPhone and start it back up it will usually work for me. Also, if I just try again later it will sometimes work (and sometimes not).

I've had a similar "Waking car" issue as the OP intermittently yesterday and today and I also have mine set to "Always Connected." However, if I kill the app on the iPhone and start it back up it will usually work for me. Also, if I just try again later it will sometimes work (and sometimes not).
Thanks. That's exactly what I'm seeing. I wonder how widespread this is? Anybody else seeing this problem?
It's painful enough to be away from our Teslas, but it really hurts when they ignore our calls:smile:

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm seeing. I wonder how widespread this is? Anybody else seeing this problem?
It's painful enough to be away from our Teslas, but it really hurts when they ignore our calls:smile:

Note that there are several stages in connecting to the car.

The first spinning circle is connecting to the Tesla servers. This has nothing to do with the car.

Then there is the "waking car" message. That is the Tesla servers connecting to the car. I've found that sometimes when the car is asleep it doesn't wake up all that well (I set to energy savings on and always connected off). Slow waking seems to be encountered more frequently as the weather gets cooler. Because the car wakes up periodically to do self checking and charging, it's going to be more receptive during those times.

After that there is "establishing connection". The car has sent an acknowledgement to the Tesla servers and a handshake is established.

I think the problem is the number of intermediate hosts that are all required to work perfectly in order to make a connection. Note that the Leaf isn't any better in this regard. It can take a very long time for it to answer.

I've had this problem multiple times since I got my 85D in July. Most often I have to reset the car. I think it has issues connection to 3G, even though we live in the heart of a big city.

It does seem to happen a lot when I'm out of town, but a few days ago I was sitting in the car and couldn't get the app to "wake" it.

My notifications was just spinning for the past two days but seems to be working now. Other parts were working fine.

Yes... Notifications still wasn't working for me when I last checked sometime around 6PM last night while I was away from home and my car was parked a mile or so away, but after having later received several notifications from the Tesla App on my iPhone last night, the Notifications screen magically appears immediately when I checked it, and is still working this morning. (I won't take this thread off-track with what all those notifications were. ;)) Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but remains an odd anomaly for my record books.

Solved :cool: (hopefully) - We're still out-of-town and since I originally posted this problem 5 days ago, the iOS Tesla apps on both our iPhones only rarely connected to either of our Teslas back home, including this morning. However, my wife's sister was checking on our house an hour ago and I asked her to flip my two outdoor main circuit breakers off and back on 10 seconds later. As soon as every piece of networked gear in the house rebooted (none are on a UPS), both our iPhones now are able to connect to either car 100% of the time (a dozen times so far).

My next step was going to be a reboot of the car's center console as Tamar suggested, but this "House Reboot" may have been the ticket. This is strange because everything else that I've connected to in the house over the net has been solid, including a Slingbox which streams up from the house at 1.5 Mbps. I've previously restarted the router remotely and that didn't help. I have many wired GigE switches and 3 WiFi networks in the house, so the culprit could be any of them or any of the networked devices (wired or wireless). After the house reboot, I asked her check both cars and they re-connected to the same WiFi network they were connected to before.

If any Ethernet experts are tuned-in here, I'd appreciate and tips on how to track down the culprit lurking in my network.

I'll post again if the problem reappears or continues to be solved.

Last edited: