Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS app questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
After about a month with Powerwalls, I’ve come up with a few questions about the mobile app (currently running iOS app version 3.8.3):

1. Am I supposed to get an alert when I lose my grid connection? In various tests I’ve never seen this. I do get charging notifications, etc. for my Model S, so notifications do work in general for this app.

2. Related to this, under what other circumstances should I expect to get an alert for Tesla Energy products? There doesn’t seem to be a list anywhere.

3. Has anyone noticed that the Power Flow view appears to consume a lot of the iOS device’s battery? A totally uneducated guess is that it has to do with the animation...???...

None of these were addressed in the documentation, although the “Mobile App Overview” video was quite nicely done, IMHO.

Thanks for any insights,

Bruce.

On Android...
1. Yes. I get notifications for grid outage and grid restored.
2. Storm Watch is also a notification.
3. Likely the screen being on is draining your battery more than the animation. Screen on is the heaviest battery user, so if you are looking at it a lot it will drain the battery.

You may already be aware of how to turn notifications on and off on your Apple device, but if not, this may help. Notifications are turned on/off on the Apple device under Settings, Notifications. Under Notifications, find the Tesla app and make sure they are turned on and make the appropriate selections to allow the notification to display on a locked screen, and whether you would like them to make a sound.

Regarding what notifications you should be seeing, I can’t help there because I don’t have Powerwalls yet. But I would think that when you manually shut off the main breaker that a notification should be pushed.

Thanks all, I did point out earlier that I was receiving notifications for vehicle events (have been for years now), so I'm pretty sure the iOS part is set up right (iOS is indeed set to install notifications and there aren't any settings within the Tesla app with respect to the energy products). That having been said I've seen people with notification issues for their vehicle events "fix" them by deinstalling the app and reinstalling the app so I may try that.

Bruce.

Please let us know if reinstalling the app fixes the notifications. I too reliably get charging and alarm notifications on my phone and Apple Watch from the Tesla app and am hoping the notifications continue once the PWs get installed. I’m wondering if the Gateway has any notification settings that can be made when connecting directly to the Gafeway?

Thanks all, I did point out earlier that I was receiving notifications for vehicle events (have been for years now), so I'm pretty sure the iOS part is set up right (iOS is indeed set to install notifications and there aren't any settings within the Tesla app with respect to the energy products). That having been said I've seen people with notification issues for their vehicle events "fix" them by deinstalling the app and reinstalling the app so I may try that.

Bruce.

Follow-up: Deinstalling and reinstalling the app had no effect. I then called Tesla Energy / Powerwall support. We recreated the problem with an off-grid test, they escalated to second-tier support. They in turn found a configuration problem in their backend, which they fixed. I had to logout and re-login to the Tesla app on my devices to get the app to recognize the configuration changes, but the Notification section of the app now has a menu for Vehicle and Energy products and, most importantly, I am now receiving notifications properly. Note that there is about a six-minute delay between a grid transition to when the alert fires to the iOS devices...I'm told this is by design.

Bruce.

Could you please post a screenshot of the notification screen in the app that shows the vehicle and energy section? I think I'm in the same boat as you were. I only see vehicle notifications in my app and have not yet seen any powerwall notifications, even when the installers did a few off-grid tests during installation to verify the system.

Could you please post a screenshot of the notification screen in the app that shows the vehicle and energy section? I think I'm in the same boat as you were. I only see vehicle notifications in my app and have not yet seen any powerwall notifications, even when the installers did a few off-grid tests during installation to verify the system.

Sounds like the same problem. OK if I tap on Notifications from the settings screen I see this:

E5327412-5BB7-4730-BB03-2B66D4448488.png

If I tap on Energy, then I get the following screen:

3729F15B-B82B-4739-839A-E477718F8A20.png

Hope this helps...

Bruce.

Reactions: gnumeric
I have an interesting question/issue with my app. I have a 100D and my app works perfectly there. I don’t have a power wall. I have solar panels. I got an email this week that I can monitor my solar production through the app with a link to download the Tesla app. Well, since I’ve had a car, I already have it. The app simply goes to a screen that tries to sell me solar and power wall but no monitoring of my solar.

So I did some research and saw that it is working for other. But, I couldn’t find a fix. Tried deleting and reinstalling the app. Same issue.

I called customer support and got to IT and was told that there had been some talk of this but as far as they knew it hadn’t happened yet. The rep was very nice and asked her supervisor. Same response. I gave up.

Anyone have any information about this?

I have an interesting question/issue with my app. I have a 100D and my app works perfectly there. I don’t have a power wall. I have solar panels. I got an email this week that I can monitor my solar production through the app with a link to download the Tesla app. Well, since I’ve had a car, I already have it. The app simply goes to a screen that tries to sell me solar and power wall but no monitoring of my solar.

So I did some research and saw that it is working for other. But, I couldn’t find a fix. Tried deleting and reinstalling the app. Same issue.

I called customer support and got to IT and was told that there had been some talk of this but as far as they knew it hadn’t happened yet. The rep was very nice and asked her supervisor. Same response. I gave up.

Anyone have any information about this?

You should be able to see your solar production and home energy usage in the app. Like you, I just had Tesla solar and my car in the app (before getting powerwalls). I could see the solar production and home energy usage in the app when sliding right from my car. After adding powerwalls, I now see 3 products in my app: Model X, Powerwalls, and Solar. (The solar tab is kind of pointless for me now since it only shows a subset of the info in the Powerwalls tab.)

You will need to contact Tesla to have them fix it so you can see your solar tab in the app. Something isn’t registered correctly to your Tesla account if you aren’t seeing the solar tab when you slide right from your car.

71E2772B-4C08-47BD-B1F0-1522602E8D9E.jpeg

The solar tab should have this info. This is what mine looked like before I got the powerwalls:

54F2AE8C-4BB2-4263-8367-87F2F630F212.jpeg

5B0D53CD-C4B6-45EA-98B7-08BE294C895D.png

Last edited:
I have switch product with vehicles and solar. (PWs coming but that’s not the point.). You should have switch products under the gear at top left, which really does the same thing as swiping left and right.

Anyone that can’t see Solar needs to get that fixed. Also note that there is (as least for me) more detailed stats in the Solar City app. The Tesla one (for example) doesn’t do proper ‘current month’ etc counting.

BTW been using the app to monitor since September; sounds like some TE people need some training!

As for notifications, it’s a mess in iOS programming. I’ve seen many times where you do need to delete the app and reinstall (any app not just Tesla) to get them to work. Be sure when you do, you check all the settings as they reset. You will need to reset persistent, etc.

Last edited: