Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS in the Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the car supports A2DP with AVRCP, my steering wheel controls can navigate my playlist on my phone via bluetooth (i have a galaxy note 2)

did you need MORE functionality than that?

I like to simply plug my iPhone in and control it from the touchscreen. On my previous car, I could access songs, playlists etc. as well as navigate them from the steering wheel controls. For example, I had a playlist called "All New Podcasts" which I could call up on the touchscreen, then play the one I want. If there was a commercial, I could fast forward through it using the steering wheel buttons.

The way it is in my Tesla, I have to start the podcast on my phone, and all the steering wheel button will do is skip to the next episode... I can't fast forward. When the podcast is done, I can't select another random one, or go to another song or playlist from the touchscreen.... I have to go back to the phone which isn't great to do when you're driving.

I'm actually pretty surprised by this. There's USB, so you could access the iPhone directly through that. Since the car is Linux-based, they could set up Zero-conf to enable AirPlay support. While this isn't better than Bluetooth streaming from a usability standpoint, it would have significantly higher audio quality. Hopefully in a future update, I guess.

Yep. That needs to happen. I imagine Tesla is probably balking at the licensing fees.

I agree this is a nature fit as a future software upgrade for the Model S. Hopefully in a few years we will at least have iPhone integration as good as a Kia.

Couldn't agree more. Right now my Hyundai puts most other cars to shame in the phone/music integration area. It's amazing that I'll be taking a major step backwards when my MS arrives.

How do things work for Android devices? I've never used one.

My read is this is simply a way to get the iphone to display on a remote screen and handle remote button/touch events. Tesla could implement this by making a new "half screen"

I will be shocked if they don't offer this. They already make a big deal about firmware updates. Imagine if they could market "We've implemented iOS 7 Car for all Tesla Model S cars - even those built before the service was announced!" ?

This would be a very impressive deat but is still with in reason considering the technology in the Model S from before the service was announced.

Anyone have any insight/updates on iOS integration? The big touchscreen is not a driver distraction, but fumbling around with my iPhone to pick out a playlist sure is. My only real frustration with the car. I'd really like to see some integration with the touchscreen - like so many other cars already have.

yes, this really needs to happen. my last exchange with cust service on this point ended in them saying there were no concrete plans to integrate iOS in the car at this point. i noted that that seemed foolish. no response on my comment, :)

my point is, write to ownership and express your desires, so they know what the demand is.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. At this time, I have not heard of plans to integrate iOS in the car into the Model S in the near future. I am of course happy to record your thoughts with our software team for review. We appreciate your feedback!

Best Regards,

Derek Shu | Ownership Experience Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
[email protected] | (877)79-TESLA

Last edited: