Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS Mobile App Missing VENT option, has DEFROST instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a 22 MY LR last week and have been getting it configured over the weekend. I was surprised that I am unable to open or close the windows via the iOS Mobile App in either the CONTROLS or CLIMATE sections. What I discovered is that what my mobile app shows me is inconsistent options from my wife's as her app shows VENT in both CONTROLS and CLIMATE menus, but not DEFROST.

Does anyone know why mine would show DEFROST and my wife's would show VENT? It'd be great if we each both options in our respective apps.

Troubleshooting attempted to so far:
  • Checked every option/setting in the car, my profile, and my mobile app
  • Forced close app
  • Reboot phone (iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16, fully updated OS and app)
  • Uninstall/reinstall Tesla app (which requires re-paring the phone as key...)
Tesla's support site has been useless for this and I haven't found anything good in the forums yet. Anyone see this and resolve? Is there a setting or config I've overlooked?

I took a look at my app (MYLR delivered Sept 15) and I remember having vent a couple days ago. Mostly because I was considering using it as it was a little warm out (36C) and the car was reaching 40C. But just now it says defrost.
Current outside temp is 18C, so maybe it has something to do with that? 🤷‍♀️

I took delivery of a new Y a few days ago and I have the same problem. No button for Window Close on lock in the menus. i do have a vent button on the iOS app but it fails with "Window Control Failed - Unsupported window command"

As delivered, the firmware is on 2022.23.101.1 - there are no release notes on this that I can find so I'm thinking it must be a factory build. My M3 LR which I had for 3 years and just sold had the feature which I used and relied on daily.

I've opened a service appointment for 4 problems which I'll make a different post on - but I included this issue.

Anyone know when I'll get an update for a publicly available version? or how to get one pushed?

This is pretty bad from a Tesla delivery/ownership experience - the manuals say it's an available feature but it's not present and nor is there any communication on when one would receive a normal firmware version.

I took delivery of a new Y a few days ago and I have the same problem. No button for Window Close on lock in the menus. i do have a vent button on the iOS app but it fails with "Window Control Failed - Unsupported window command"

As delivered, the firmware is on 2022.23.101.1 - there are no release notes on this that I can find so I'm thinking it must be a factory build. My M3 LR which I had for 3 years and just sold had the feature which I used and relied on daily.

I've opened a service appointment for 4 problems which I'll make a different post on - but I included this issue.

Anyone know when I'll get an update for a publicly available version? or how to get one pushed?

This is pretty bad from a Tesla delivery/ownership experience - the manuals say it's an available feature but it's not present and nor is there any communication on when one would receive a normal firmware version.
I’m on firmware 2022.23.101.2.

Could you share your other post with me after it’s up? I’m interested to know what other issues I should be aware of or may have overlooked. Thanks.

I’m on firmware 2022.23.101.2.

Could you share your other post with me after it’s up? I’m interested to know what other issues I should be aware of or may have overlooked. Thanks.
here you go:

I’m also experiencing this issue. I took delivery 3 days ago and my dad was showing me around the app and on his it has vent under controls and on mine only defrost. I live in Las Vegas and definitely don’t need defrost. I need vent! Hope this changes with a software update.

Attachments

• 41F0EDE1-1580-4338-8236-0106B637A342.png
    41F0EDE1-1580-4338-8236-0106B637A342.png
    405.4 KB · Views: 1,185
Reactions: ziptbm
Tesla customer service finally got back to me on this when I requested service for software. Here's what they said:

"your vehicle will be in islanded factory mode for the first 30 days after delivery. You need to wait until after October 14th as your vehicle will keep downloading updates until that time to make your vehicle up to date with the latest firmware. Once your vehicle is up to date with all of the firmware on October 14th you can make a Service Center visit request and they will be able to resolve any issue. We cannot proactively work on this issue as your vehicle firmware is already scheduled to be deployed in the first 30 days as it is with every newly delivered Tesla vehicle. Other customers that had delivery at the same time as you will have the same issue as you all will have to wait until 30 days after delivery for your vehicle to be up to date. Your owners manual explains this process and most likely is the reason that the system is referring you back to the manual."

I find it interesting they're pointing back to the owner's manual...especially given my vehicle is on 2022.23.101.2 and the app refers me to the owner's manual for 2022.28.

Last edited:
I got my MYP two weeks ago and the vent function doesn't work for me either but my wife's Model 3 vent function works. I actually brought it to the service center for other issue and even noted in the service request about the vent issue but they never even looked at the issue. I spoke with some girl at the pick up lobby and she said there was some new law that prevents Tesla from allowing that feature anymore due to safety issues....I don't know how true that is sense all the existing owners can still use the vent function.

I got my MYP two weeks ago and the vent function doesn't work for me either but my wife's Model 3 vent function works. I actually brought it to the service center for other issue and even noted in the service request about the vent issue but they never even looked at the issue. I spoke with some girl at the pick up lobby and she said there was some new law that prevents Tesla from allowing that feature anymore due to safety issues....I don't know how true that is sense all the existing owners can still use the vent function.

I scheduled a mobile service appointment and they canceled it after letting me know the following:

“The features that are missing from the app were removed as part of a software update to comply with federal regulation….as of right now the features had to be removed per the government mandate.”

The app on my spouse’s phone has the vent option…

I took delivery of a 22 MY LR last week and have been getting it configured over the weekend. I was surprised that I am unable to open or close the windows via the iOS Mobile App in either the CONTROLS or CLIMATE sections. What I discovered is that what my mobile app shows me is inconsistent options from my wife's as her app shows VENT in both CONTROLS and CLIMATE menus, but not DEFROST.

Does anyone know why mine would show DEFROST and my wife's would show VENT? It'd be great if we each both options in our respective apps.

Troubleshooting attempted to so far:
  • Checked every option/setting in the car, my profile, and my mobile app
  • Forced close app
  • Reboot phone (iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16, fully updated OS and app)
  • Uninstall/reinstall Tesla app (which requires re-paring the phone as key...)
Tesla's support site has been useless for this and I haven't found anything good in the forums yet. Anyone see this and resolve? Is there a setting or config I've overlooked?
Vent Defrost both there👇
9A2E1483-D0EC-4F49-835B-CDB53B83A626.jpeg

I’ve now had multiple Tesla techs tell me a government mandate will be rolling out to all Teslas. The option is now gone from my authorized driver’s phone.
This is a strange one though.
Normally, it's Tesla's style to say "Hey, here's an issue we uncovered, and by the way, in the time it took to file the paperwork, we've already fixed it on 95% of the fleet via OTA updates."
However, in this case, multiple vehicle software and app updates have been released in the time since the announcement - and the vent feature still works for me.

I could be wrong, but to me, this makes me think a larger change of some kind is being tested and validated. Perhaps a rework of the window control or force sensing algorithms. Because simply removing features (the vent option) could have been done very quickly for the wider fleet, but wasn't.