Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS Tesla App and Location Services

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reviewing my Location Services settings on my iphone and I noticed the Tesla App was set to allow access to location "always" so I set it to "While using" becaue I couldn't figure out why it would always need to know my location...

As far as I can tell, I haven't lost any functionality. Walk-up/away unlock/lock works perfectly etc.

I did notice that when set to "always" it does set up a geofence (as indicated by the "hollow" navigation symbol).

So a few questions:

- Does anyone know if there is a reason to leave it set to 'always' vs 'while using'? Don't tell me it's so when I open the app it shows me where I am relative to the car ... because that falls under "while using"

- When set to always.... Is there some action the app takes when you are "near" your car (and geofence near is something like a 100m or more, so it's not that near).

I've had it set to "while using" from the beginning and haven't noticed any downside. Opening the car and walk-away locking is near 100% reliable, and Summon works too (obviously, since that requires opening the app). No idea what the geofencing might be for, but it seems safe to restrict location access for now.

Edit: You might find this interesting:

iOS 13 cracks down on location permission settings - 9to5Mac

The screenshot at the top shows the app's official explanation why it asks for background location access (which I find unconvincing).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ModLTh3
I've also have my location settings set to "while using" and have no issues with bluetooth key. The only issue I've been having which is a hit or miss is if I have my iPhone XS Max in the back of my pocket, sometimes the car doesn't detect my phone as a key when walking up to my car.

It works 100% if my phone is in my hand while walking up to my car. I'm also running Beta 2 of IOS 13 with no issues.

The only app on my iPhone that has Location Services set to Always is Apple’s own Weather app. Everything else is either set to Never or While Using. The Tesla app has always been set to While Using on my iPhone.

I’ve sent many developers feedback that I personally refuse to enable Always on any iOS app. Some developers only gave you a choice between Always or Never, so they got Never or would get uninstalled altogether if Location Services were required for the app to be functional.

Like you say, Tesla (all 3rd party vendors for that matter) has no business tracking my location at all times.

Reactions: KerryOH
Always-on can allow the app to wake up more often due to receiving location updates. I have it set that way on my phone - maybe I'll change to only in-use and see if it is slower to respond to unlock when I walk up to the car..

I also have background app refresh on as well, mostly cause I didn't turn it off like I do most apps.. it too could be related to responsiveness when approaching the car in theory

Disclosure - I do iOS programming sometimes

So some feedback I received over on reddit seems to make the most sense:

With location services set to always, it allows the phone to be "started" by the OS - even after a reboot without you having to open the app. It also keeps "pinging" the app with location updates which helps make sure it's listening for the bluetooth phone-key stuff.

But like others here, I had it set to "while using" with seemingly no negative side effects, but I haven't done extensive testing either.

So some feedback I received over on reddit seems to make the most sense:

With location services set to always, it allows the phone to be "started" by the OS - even after a reboot without you having to open the app. It also keeps "pinging" the app with location updates which helps make sure it's listening for the bluetooth phone-key stuff.

But like others here, I had it set to "while using" with seemingly no negative side effects, but I haven't done extensive testing either.
Yeah. My theory is that this "optimization" consists of using iOS location services to detect the car's four BLE beacons a bit earlier (this is normally used to determine the device's indoor location inside stores or other buildings where beacons are deployed). But it doesn't really require this for the phone key function to work.

Awhile back i reset all of my permission and when it asked me for “always” or “only while using” I accidentally set it to only while using and that was the only time I had issues using with unlock on approach. When trying to fix it I even attempted to set it to always but the option wasnt listed so I didn’t immediately notice it was the possible problem. Reinstalled the app and set it to always and now its back to working the way it always has.

i think it was mainly an issue if the car was asleep, after it was awake it was fine.

I have been having trouble with "open upon approach" for the last two weeks. I had deleted the app about two weeks ago because I got a message on the app stating the car had been removed from my account. Prior to that I have never had a problem and now it is hit or miss. I am able to listen to music via bluetooth, make calls and send/receive messages...just unlock on approach has been a problem. I just switched to always on and am hoping that solves my problem...please god let it fix the problem. It is so frustrating having to bust out the phone an open the app to get into my car.