Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Iowa to begin electric vehicle taxes and charging fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it isn't an additional tax it is closing a loophole.

For the "trucks should pay more" crowd, you know there is no money fairy? Those trucks are moving the goods you buy, so you would just pay more for all that.

The government doesn't make anything, their only source of income is to tax you or your neighbors, thing is we are all someone's neighbor. So maybe rather than worrying about how to put the burden on your neighbors we should be all worry about government efficiency.
That brings me back to the EV registration fees which are a simple way to close the alternative fuel road use tax loophole we were enjoying. Tracking mileage and all introduces cost and bureaucracy, which might make it cost more.
Do i think $150-200 flat fees are ideal, no, but it is an effective compromise.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
But it isn't an additional tax it is closing a loophole.

For the "trucks should pay more" crowd, you know there is no money fairy? Those trucks are moving the goods you buy, so you would just pay more for all that.

It doesn't matter whether it makes goods more expensive, it only matters whether it's an accurate pricing system. We should neither subsidize nor overtax shipping costs.

The government doesn't make anything, their only source of income is to tax you or your neighbors, thing is we are all someone's neighbor. So maybe rather than worrying about how to put the burden on your neighbors we should be all worry about government efficiency.
That brings me back to the EV registration fees which are a simple way to close the alternative fuel road use tax loophole we were enjoying. Tracking mileage and all introduces cost and bureaucracy, which might make it cost more.
Do i think $150-200 flat fees are ideal, no, but it is an effective compromise.

It's not an effective compromise.

It's not good for the government to make people overpay, whether through poor efficiency, or cross-subsidy.

It's either:
1) Correct: the cost of making roads available for your use doesn't significantly depend on what or how much you drive. In that case we should _all_ pay fixed fees, and fuel taxation should only be related to fuel use, not road use.
2) Incorrect: the cost of making roads available for your use does significantly depend on what and how much you drive. In that case we should _all_ pay variable fees, and we need to agree on a reasonable system that isn't so inherently broken that price shifts and technological advances has politicians crying woe.