Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPace charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been keen on the iPace ever since it was announced since my wife loves Jag interiors, but finding out info on the Jag charging connector in Australia has been like getting blood out of a stone.

Anyhow, there has been one on display at Chadstone Shopping Centre this week, and I managed to get a photo of the chart port.

iPace Charging Plug AUS_cleaned.jpg

Looks like a Menneke's Type 2 with a dummy panel where the DC fast charge pins would go.
i.e. a CCS Combo Type 2.

Not sure of the public infrastructure in place at present for this sort of connector - is there much?

(Note to mods - if this is more appropriate in another forum, feel free to move).

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
More likely a secondary protector than a dummy panel - I don't think Jaguar is making DCFC optional like GM did, and most CCS cars seem to have rubber protectors for the DCFC pins alone in addition to the chargeport cover.

Yep I'd say its a cover for the CCS/DCFC pins. The new (and still being built out) NRMA charging network supports this connector natively for DC fast charge.

Oh and FYI I hate this connector - it takes up way too much room for no reason. If they'd set the DCFC pins to the left and right of the Mennekes Type-2 (ie horizontal not vertical) it would be able to be supported in far more car designs vs this.

Not sure of the public infrastructure in place at present for this sort of connector - is there much?

I would suggest to look on Plugshare, but unfortunately they don't differentiate between CCS1 and CCS2 (which the i-Pace uses), which is a real pain because a car will only support one or the other! Most of the time you need to look at the description or photos of each location.

However: As others have said, the i-Pace will work with the NRMA chargers being installed (40 across New South Wales), the Queensland Electric Highway chargers up the coast to Cairns. (All these locations are Chademo + CCS2). So that's a pretty broad geographic territory to start with. I also seem to remember Jaguar installing chargers at 45 of their dealerships but I'm not sure if these will be DC or not.

The RAC WA Chargers are, unfortunately, Chademo + CCS1. A side effect of them being at the leading edge, and building the highway before there was a clearly defined standard. Other individual sites you need to check each location on Plugshare, but generally any new DC charger site being installed is Chademo + CCS2.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I would suggest to look on Plugshare, but unfortunately they don't differentiate between CCS1 and CCS2 (which the i-Pace uses), which is a real pain because a car will only support one or the other! Most of the time you need to look at the description or photos of each location.

However: As others have said, the i-Pace will work with the NRMA chargers being installed (40 across New South Wales), the Queensland Electric Highway chargers up the coast to Cairns. (All these locations are Chademo + CCS2). So that's a pretty broad geographic territory to start with. I also seem to remember Jaguar installing chargers at 45 of their dealerships but I'm not sure if these will be DC or not.

The RAC WA Chargers are, unfortunately, Chademo + CCS1. A side effect of them being at the leading edge, and building the highway before there was a clearly defined standard. Other individual sites you need to check each location on Plugshare, but generally any new DC charger site being installed is Chademo + CCS2.

I know the new fit-out of the Jaguar Land Rover showroom at Mascot, Sydney will contain a 50kw DC Tritium charger along with 4x 22kw type 2 chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T and Chuq
My wife was tossing up between and X and an iPace....after seeing the iPace in real life (in Chadstone Shops) she's now 100% set on the Model X. Whilst the interior is very nice on the iPace functionally the X is vastly better is every other way.....along with the fact that you actually drive it out of town and any other EV is a ways off from having this luxury....

I saw the ipace and model x today at Chad stone too, an interesting comparison having them close enough to compare sitting both so quickly. The ipace drivers position feels cosseted / surrounded by dash etc , where the model x is spacious. The boot on the ipace seems a tad smaller than the X.
The ipace is a looker - definitely, and a good option for anyone wanting jaguar heritage / design / quality and ‘regular rear doors’.

Just not sure I can fit a hard cased cello in the ipace ...

Wonder how many of us parked our Teslas in the dedicated spots at Chadstone and then strolled around the corner to the iPace to have a look?

What was interesting to me was how they initially tried to talk it up as "faster than a Tesla Model X", just like in that disingenuous video comparison. Err, no.

This is an electric Jag, with a luxurious Jag interior, not a Tesla killer. Sell its strengths, not its weaknesses. It now means that there are THREE attractive and desirable electric cars in Australia instead of two. Choice is good.

as I’m not aware of any cars being imported with CCS1 ports.

To my knowledge the BMW i3 was the only vehicle in Australia that ever used CCS1. It was an option, so many buyers choose not to get it (dealers told people "you don't need that because their aren't any fast chargers" except in WA, where the RAC Electric Highway existed and people were more likely to get it.

Fortunately since the middle of last year BMW have been supplying the i3 with the CCS2 socket. But there are still a small number of i3s in the eastern states who have the CCS1 socket. There are workarounds though: E-Station Australia

New Zealand had a similar issue, and Charge.Net.NZ and BMW NZ jointly announced they would change all their sockets, cables etc. to CCS2. BMW Australia has not been as helpful :(

I saw the ipace and model x today at Chad stone too, an interesting comparison having them close enough to compare sitting both so quickly. The ipace drivers position feels cosseted / surrounded by dash etc , where the model x is spacious. The boot on the ipace seems a tad smaller than the X.
The ipace is a looker - definitely, and a good option for anyone wanting jaguar heritage / design / quality and ‘regular rear doors’.

Just not sure I can fit a hard cased cello in the ipace ...
Agree Jag is nice, but I'm not sure "heritage" counts for much with an electric motor.
I'd definitely consider iPace one day, but for now my S is just so damn good, and the Y will be out by the time I'm ready to change cars.

After looking at the i-Pace in Chadstone (my wife was very disappointed in it, she had high hopes) I can say from a tech perspective is had nothing on my near on 3 year old Model S. Wife is very serious about a Model X now.....

I think if you've not had an EV before the i-Pace is going to be very attractive, if comparing to a Tesla it would be hard to "go backwards" (especially when it costs just as much ;))

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
If I was Jaguar, I would at least put in 3phase charging to take advantage of the Tesla Destination chargers and other 3 phase opportunities in countries where DC charging is not yet rolled out such as Australia. At the moment I'm only seeing single phase 7Kw charging strictly limiting road trips for a few years, so I can't see iPace sales taking off anytime soon. If Renault can afford to fit 22Kw charging to a $52,000 car Jaguar should be able to do the same for a car costing double that and more.

Reactions: Big Earl and Mark E