Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ipace to X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am considering trading in my 2020 ipace for the 2021 model x.

The reasoning behind it (for me) is internal space (6 seat config), range, and charging.

How is the real world range for the model X? the Ipace can get to 250 miles all the time in my case but charging on the road is challenging, many times it just doesn't work, i.e no charge so i can't really get to 5% state of charge because i am scared i will be screwed.
How reliable is the supercharging network?

Any advice from owners?

thanks!

Supercharging is Super reliable. Your only real issues may be traveling during peak holiday periods in CA, the Superchargers can get crowded. Avoiding the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving is advisable, etc.

In California weather, and with the generally slower freeway speeds than some rural states, you'll come closer to the rated range on the Model X. Get the Long Range Plus with 20" wheels and you'll be good for 300 miles in CA even if you drove it like you stole it. We have a 6 seater, my favorite config.

Enjoy!

Hi,

The reasoning behind it (for me) is internal space (6 seat config), range, and charging.

How is the real world range for the model X? the Ipace can get to 250 miles all the time in my case but charging on the road is challenging, many times it just doesn't work, i.e no charge so i can't really get to 5% state of charge because i am scared i will be screwed.

Any advice from owners?

thanks!

They just upped it to 371. I have LR and I'm getting a little better than EPA "Rate" but mine was rated 326 when I got it. I drive pretty conservatively though. Rarely do I go above 70 mph.

Superchargers are super reliable. I've not had a single problem or wait in 2 years and I use them regularly.

Same goes for Tesla as iPace as far as how far you want to go down to. But some brands have larger safety margins. Tesla pushes things close to the edge on both ends and lets the user decide. I try not to ever go below 20% (since there is rarely need to). I typically charge to 80% lately because I'm not driving a ton with COVID. It's not good for battery to let it sit day in and day out at 90% and not use it. I have charged to 100% maybe 6-7 times in 2 years. I always use it immediately.

A lot matters on how you drive and where you drive. iPace should be no different in that regard.

Winter range takes a pretty big hit. Depends on length of trips. Long trips might be 20% hit, short trips might be 40% hit (due to constantly reheating the cabin). So if you reserve 20% on the bottom and 10% on the top that leaves about 70 "typical" range on a daily basis which would be about 260 miles. You can certainly push to using 90% of the battery and get 333 miles (that's from 100% charge to 10%).

Note that you rarely ever charge to 100% at super chargers and some busy supercharger site are capped at 80%. You usually use 100% on your first leg or if your trying to get a long round trip with no stops. It's also not time productive to charge to 100% while waiting because it slows charge rate down a ton as it approaches the top.

You should not push the bottom range in Winter. I think going below 10% when it's below zero is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: totoro722 and Sonus
Hi,

Any advice from owners?

thanks!
I am a Model S owner, so I cannot address the projected range of an X. But, I can bring over 150,000 miles of Model S experience to the table. In those miles, I have effortlessly completed four, over 4,000 mile road trips including travel through some rather desolate locations.
Charging on the road is so good with the Tesla Network, I rarely look for other chargers. I have used non-Tesla chargers less than 20 times in all those miles. The connected network of the Tesla Chargers that allows real time availability, which is tied in to the navigation system makes travel a breeze.
Amount of range becomes less of a factor when you have an abundance of charging locations. The rate that Tesla rolls out new chargers is amazing. See this website, on the average each location averages over 10 stalls. supercharge.info
For extended road trips, this tool makes planning trips easy. A Better Routeplanner
I have waited to charge 5 times in 5.5 years. My longest wait was 10 minutes. Many have experienced more waits, but Tesla is doing a great job of trying to stay ahead of the curve.
I am sure the "fit & finish" will not be as nice as the iPace, but the Safety, Performance, AutoPilot and Superchargers, make up that difference for me.
I mostly agree with many here ,that complain about communication and customer service, but frankly, I have a great relationship with my local Store/Service Center....communication---that is another frustrating story.

Have you also considered the Model Y?

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and E Dizzle
In California weather, and with the generally slower freeway speeds than some rural states, you'll come closer to the rated range on the Model X. Get the Long Range Plus with 20" wheels and you'll be good for 300 miles in CA even if you drove it like you stole it. We have a 6 seater, my favorite config.

Enjoy!

I don't think you can keep it from going below 20%, not charge above 90%, drive it like you stole it and get 300 miles. Nope.

Even if you want to stretch that to 10% to 90% that comes to 296 miles range and that is EPA "conservative driving" range.

10% to 90% and drive it like you stole it would be more like 250 miles range. It's very easy to chew up range if you drive it hard or fast for that matter.

Reactions: msm859
I have a total of over 130,000 miles spread over three Teslas. The Tesla Supercharger network is extremely reliable. I have never arrived at a Supercharger location and not been able to charge, with one exception; arrived at Superior, Montana, to discover the entire town was without power. 10 minutes later power came back on.

Very occasionally I have had to wait in line for a few minutes, twice for about 30 minutes during peak travel times in California. I’ve Supercharged hundreds of times.

The Tesla Supercharger network is a huge advantage for the company and for owners, and is unlikely to be equaled by any other network for the foreseeable future.

I have a total of over 130,000 miles spread over three Teslas. The Tesla Supercharger network is extremely reliable. I have never arrived at a Supercharger location and not been able to charge, with one exception; arrived at Superior, Montana, to discover the entire town was without power. 10 minutes later power came back on.

Very occasionally I have had to wait in line for a few minutes, twice for about 30 minutes during peak travel times in California. I’ve Supercharged hundreds of times.

The Tesla Supercharger network is a huge advantage for the company and for owners, and is unlikely to be equaled by any other network for the foreseeable future.

to add on to the responsiveness of Tesla and the charging network, when the major interstate 5 was closed due to weather over the Christmas holiday, traffic was diverted to Highway 101. Tesla, proactively, as quick as possible, sent a tractor trailer with chargers and batteries on the back to help supplement the load.
Also, in our area, when PG&E was giving the safety blackouts of power, the Placerville location, was out of power. They again, proactively, parked one of the semi trailers with super chargers and batteries at that location. That kind of responsiveness to the customer, really makes a difference.

Reactions: 5JMJ
Have you also considered the Model Y?

thanks for the info, the ipace is the same size as the Y so i don't see a reason to change from the I to the Y. I really need the extra room. if it wasn't for the range and the lack of DC chargers that actually work I would stay with the I which is a really good car and the interior as amazing. For me moving from the I to the X is a step down in luxury but I will gain size and superchargers network which is worth it in my case.

thanks for the info, the ipace is the same size as the Y so i don't see a reason to change from the I to the Y. I really need the extra room. if it wasn't for the range and the lack of DC chargers that actually work I would stay with the I which is a really good car and the interior as amazing. For me moving from the I to the X is a step down in luxury but I will gain size and superchargers network which is worth it in my case.

If you get a chance, drive around to some superchargers and check them out (in terms of availability/wait times). During a return trip home last Friday, I actually had a good 30 minute wait to charge in Irvine... After we pulled up into the line, our baby decided to stick her fingers down her throat and regurgitate, so, I had to get out and get her our from her car seat (wife was freaking out) - I held the baby and let the car summon along the line while we cleaned her up.

In over a year of ownership now, that's the first time I've had to wait to supercharge...

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Thanks, everybody, today Tesla came to my house with a Model X LR+ 6 seat configuration for me and my family to test drive. We all loved it so we configured the car we liked on the spot with the Tesla representative and apparently, the same configuration just came out of the Fremont assembly line this week so I got the VIN assigned to my order already and we are waiting for the final approval of the trade-in (Ipace), we should be able to go and pick it up this weekend. Excited times :)

Thanks, everybody, today Tesla came to my house with a Model X LR+ 6 seat configuration for me and my family to test drive. We all loved it so we configured the car we liked on the spot with the Tesla representative and apparently, the same configuration just came out of the Fremont assembly line this week so I got the VIN assigned to my order already and we are waiting for the final approval of the trade-in (Ipace), we should be able to go and pick it up this weekend. Excited times :)

Congratulations.
After you get to really try your X in day to day use (and long trips), gives us your opinion about it vs the Ipace

Reactions: wreighven
Congrats!! You'll love the X. I like the craftsmanship in JLR products. You'll notice the vast difference between your iPace interior quality vs the X. What do your family think of the interior during your test drive? How do you compare it to your iPac interior? The touch screen duo interface on the JLR products is really slow, software is definitely not their strongest point. Tech wise, the Tesla wins. Old world craftsmanship, Jaguar wins.

-ThinkMac-

Congrats!! You'll love the X. I like the craftsmanship in JLR products. You'll notice the vast difference between your iPace interior quality vs the X. What do your family think of the interior during your test drive? How do you compare it to your iPac interior? The touch screen duo interface on the JLR products is really slow, software is definitely not their strongest point. Tech wise, the Tesla wins. Old world craftsmanship, Jaguar wins.

-ThinkMac-

Thanks! My family loved it, bigger, and more space. The captain chairs was what made it for my kids.
We needed something bigger anyhow.

The ipace infotainment system is the worst i have ever seen, it has so many bugs and it is very slow I never touch it and use Apple car play only.
The interior is something else, can not be compared to Tesla. Pick your poison i guess :)

Reactions: wreighven
5000 miles.
All reliable, no issues. The issue (for me) is DC chargers; you go to a station and they don't work, the chargers, not the car, you get errors and stuff. it is a nightmare.

I wish the general public (and the media) understood this. Tesla is normally reviewed like every other car and the focus is on the quality of the interior and how shiny the thing is overall. Those are all nice things, but they don't do squat getting you from A to B reliably and fast. It's a CAR after all, not a show toy.

Every manufacturer has limited amount of resources they can pour into this and Tesla decided to focus on the real usability over the looks. Works for me, I take the bit less shiny interior any day if I don't have to fight with some charger support during the night to get the charger going OR best yet, sleep next to the charger with a small child (true story: happened to me after which I decided to go buy a Tesla immediately) as the bloody thing died totally.