Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ipad charging on rear USB-C ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on first road trip with kids in the back seat and bought some anker USBc to lightning cables to charge the kids ipads but they would not charge. When I got home, tried my original apple usbc to lightning and it also didn't charge the ipad from the rear usbc ports but could charge my iphone. Anker cable also charges the iphone...not sure what the issue is, is it a power issue and that the rear ports do not have enough to charge an ipad? Is there a workaround other than using the 12v outlet in the center armrest? my VW atlas rear ports charge just fine...this seems like an oversight on tesla's part as the rear passengers likely kids using tablet devices not iphones..

FWIW: Try flipping the connectors over. Both lightning and usb-c are reversable, and cables/ports can fail (and engineering teams can misdesign!) in one orientation where they work in another. Likewise try more cables from different manufacturers. Device compatibility remains a real sore spot with usb-c, it's a very complicated standard.

nothing mentioned here about ipads... was hoping for someone who has used ipads in the rear seats.
This thread confirms there is an issue with some (most?) Model Y when attempting to use the Tesla Model Y rear facing USB-C ports when charging Apple devices; iPhone, Apple Watch charger etc. (This probably also applies to charging iPad devices.)

Per Post #26 - "had the same issue which first came up when I was unable to charge my Apple Watch using the the rear usb-c ports. I even bought an Apple usb-c watch charger. I then had the same issues with my iPhone. I was able to plug those cables into the front usb-c ports, and they worked perfectly. I had mobile service out and he confirmed that indeed the ports are not compatible with the iPhone, and we can easily charge a Samsung phone.

It turns out that not all Model Y’s are the same. The early model y cars have open usb-c ports and work. Those built in June 2020 or later have something called usb-c PD (power delivery) in the rear ports. That’s why some owners are able to charge their device. The standard allows for up to 20 watts for fast charging. However, either the cables or the devices themselves need to comply. Still doing some research on this, and my Technician is trying to reach Tesla engineers on this matter. I feel we should take it more public to Reddit or the Media like a Musk vs Apple .. new Tesla’s are incompatible with Apple devices."

Reactions: Krock65
The early model y cars have open usb-c ports and work. Those built in June 2020 or later have something called usb-c PD (power delivery) in the rear ports.
That doesn't sound like the whole story. In fact the usb-c connector was co-developed with the PD v3 spec. Essentially all usb-c devices support PD in some form or another. The problem is that PD is a mind-bogglingly complicated standard, and basically no one (including big players like Apple!) gets everything right per the spec, so it's pretty routine to find a pair of devices that won't charge even though they should.

I can't say anything about Apple hardware, but I did put a tester on the ports in my brand new Model Y and can confirm that all four ports (I didn't look at the USB stick port in the glove box) are PD ports with the CC line wired that will deliver the 3A max current (more is available as part of the spec, but requires a special cable which I don't have and I'd be surprised if Tesla supported the active cable stuff since no one else does) at 5V and 9V. Basically it looks like a very capable phone fast charger and seems to work with everything I plugged into it.

The 27W max won't charge a laptop very well if you're using it simultaneously, but it does work to power the 45W and 60W laptops I tried.

It's possible that earlier Model Y's had less capable ports, but I'd be pretty surprised if the iPad wouldn't work with this one.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I've had some similar issues ..... but related to USB-C to A converters. They don't seem to work in rear C ports ....... but work fine in other C ports elsewhere in my house. I just figured it was the usual random occasional incompatibility with electronic stuff using competing and evolving standards of various kinds.

My MY SR was built in April of this year. I use the rear USB-C port exclusively for charging my iPhone 12 Pro Max because I don't want to have to leave the door open of the front compartment. I've never had a problem charging in this manner.