Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is already being discussed here. Searching for iPad would get you there.

Uh, yeah, there's one mention of it in that thread.

iPad is different enough from a typical "mobile device" (e.g. phone) that it really deserves a separate thread. The iPad has a 1024x768 screen, which is larger than most netbooks. So why should the netbook get the full site and the iPad get a bastardized screen meant for a telephone?

Uh, yeah, there's one mention of it in that thread.

iPad is different enough from a typical "mobile device" (e.g. phone) that it really deserves a separate thread. The iPad has a 1024x768 screen, which is larger than most netbooks. So why should the netbook get the full site and the iPad get a bastardized screen meant for a telephone?

because someone was lazy with the user agent strings :biggrin:

iPad Fix - Free!

I downloaded the free "Atomic Web Browser" app. It can be set up up to look like the Mac version of Safari to web sites. Works great!

"Perfect Browser" has the same capability, but I have not tested it yet.

GSP

Fix for video on iPad

Now that the Atomic Web Browser has got the site formatting just like on a real PC, I would really appreciate new video embedding to be done in an iPad friendly format. No need to redo the old videos.

Thanks,

GSP

Atomic Web Browser

By the way, appadvice.com reviewed five browsers for the iPad. Atomic Web Browser was #1, and they called it "essential." Unfortunetly, it looks like they raised the price from free to 99 cents. Still affordable:cool:, and worth ten times more.

GSP

Now that the Atomic Web Browser has got the site formatting just like on a real PC, I would really appreciate new video embedding to be done in an iPad friendly format. No need to redo the old videos.

Thanks,

GSP

problem is, the browser would need to identify itself as an iPad (I believe), which would then revert you back to seeing the mobile site...

problem is, the browser would need to identify itself as an iPad (I believe), which would then revert you back to seeing the mobile site...

The browser lets you configure it to identify itself as other browsers. It seems to work great for normal full screen displaying on the iPad if you set it to identify itself as "Safari Desktop". I have only played around with it briefly, but it works great so far.

Thanks for the info GSP.

Isn't the problem that the videos are going to be in Flash as it is embedded Youtube and thus the issue is with Youtube and not TMC? (or Apple for not supporting it)

Right, Apple in the end. Youtube did what they could by displaying HTML5 versions of videos to iPad users. But if you have a browser that's going to identify itself as something other than an iPad, it's likely going to show you the Flash player (which the iPad naturally can't handle)

The browser lets you configure it to identify itself as other browsers. It seems to work great for normal full screen displaying on the iPad if you set it to identify itself as "Safari Desktop". I have only played around with it briefly, but it works great so far.

Thanks for the info GSP.

Yes, and as a FULL browser, youtube will assume that you can see full flash and NOT show the HTML5 version of the player (or the one that opens in the youtube app). So you may still be stuck seeing no videos.

Yes, and as a FULL browser, youtube will assume that you can see full flash and NOT show the HTML5 version of the player (or the one that opens in the youtube app). So you may still be stuck seeing no videos.

I don't watch the videos much and mostly look at the posts and the linked articles, so this browser will help me a lot until/unless a better solution comes along.

I tried watching some videos and there is a mildly annoying workaround: the several videos from posts that I tried opened a new browser tab that complained and didn't run, but I was able to copy the URL, open the YouTube app, paste the URL into the search and select and watch the video. Along with this it helps to change the settings so that the browser opens with all of the previous tabs instead of just the last active one, so you don't lose your Tesla Motors Club tab.

Last edited: