Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 mini won't charge wirelessly or with the four USB-C ports in brand new SR+.

Mac00kemdanno

Jan 5, 2019
Garner, NC
I'm having a problem where my iPhone 12 mini isn't charging on the wireless charger or via the USB-C ports in my week-old 2021 Model 3 SR+. The green battery icon with a lightning bolt through it lights up on my iPhone, but it doesn't charge. It just sits at whatever percentage that it was on prior to connecting. It won't go any higher or lower.

I've also tried all four USB-C ports (two in the front and two in the back) and it's the same story. All it does is maintain the battery at the current percentage and does not add to the charge level. I've tried resetting the phone, difference USB-C to lightning cables, and even read about using LEGO bricks (as I saw in another thread) to allow the iPhone 12 mini to sit up higher on the charging pad to no avail.

I have my son's iPad mini in the car "charging" right now, and I'll see what charge level it's at in about 20 mins. It was at 42% when I plugged it in. If that doesn't work, I'll try a cigarette adapter with a USB-C port on it to see if they charge that way.

rpiotro

Aug 18, 2021
42°57'34"N 88°3'35" W
I'm having a problem where my iPhone 12 mini isn't charging on the wireless charger or via the USB-C ports in my week-old 2021 Model 3 SR+. The green battery icon with a lightning bolt through it lights up on my iPhone, but it doesn't charge. It just sits at whatever percentage that it was on prior to connecting. It won't go any higher or lower.

I've also tried all four USB-C ports (two in the front and two in the back) and it's the same story. All it does is maintain the battery at the current percentage and does not add to the charge level. I've tried resetting the phone, difference USB-C to lightning cables, and even read about using LEGO bricks (as I saw in another thread) to allow the iPhone 12 mini to sit up higher on the charging pad to no avail.

I have my son's iPad mini in the car "charging" right now, and I'll see what charge level it's at in about 20 mins. It was at 42% when I plugged it in. If that doesn't work, I'll try a cigarette adapter with a USB-C port on it to see if they charge that way.
I had the same problem with my 12 mini in my son's 6 month old model Y. It would not charge wirelessly and just got quite warm. I works in my new model 3 just fine. USB C charger works in both cars.

sightman

Jul 25, 2020
Quakertown, PA
Do you have smart battery conditioning turned on in your iPhone? The phone when above 80% may not charge right away or trickle charge slowly. Wireless charging generates more waste in the form of heat, which the iPhone algorithm will also modify the charging process

Reactions: MaskedRacerX

Mac00kemdanno

Jan 5, 2019
Garner, NC
Do you have smart battery conditioning turned on in your iPhone? The phone when above 80% may not charge right away or trickle charge slowly. Wireless charging generates more waste in the form of heat, which the iPhone algorithm will also modify the charging process
I do. I'll try to run the battery down today and see if I can get it to charge from about 20 percent later today. As a side note, my son's iPad Mini charged just fine yesterday when I left it in the car. It went from 42% to about 66% in about 30 mins. So it appears that it's my iPhone 12 mini that's the limiting factor.

Reactions: sightman

Mac00kemdanno

Jan 5, 2019
Garner, NC
I had this same problem. The Qi charging coil in the Tesla charging pad doesn't line up. You have to "lift" your Mini about 2cm. Many people have used legos, pencils, 3D printing, etc. There are also custom-manufactured higher end products that will help. Here's one of the more popular ones I have found:

I already solved my problem. Sold my iPhone 12 mini on eBay and bought an iPhone 13 Pro. :D

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and rpiotro

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC