Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro and Mini Wireless Charging Pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen enough discussion to know that the 12 Pro Max, when in a case, has issues with Tesla's built-in wireless charging pad. Does anyone have experience with the stock wireless charging pad on the 12 Pro (non-Max) and the 12 Mini, with and without a case? Any issues?

I've seen enough discussion to know that the 12 Pro Max, when in a case, has issues with Tesla's built-in wireless charging pad. Does anyone have experience with the stock wireless charging pad on the 12 Pro (non-Max) and the 12 Mini, with and without a case? Any issues?

I picked my model Y today. I tried charging my iPhone 12 mini with the apple MagSafe case, and without any case, and it would not charge. The Tesla rep I called over said that his manager received an email about this today saying that the issue is “being worked on,” so hopefully a fix is around the corner.

There are issues with the new iPhones charging with non apple pads. That is supposedly being worked on by apple (you can find articles about it). That said - my new iPhone 12 Mini was not charging or at best only intermittently - so I tried laying a golf pencil sideways to effectively raise the phone about 1/4” higher on the pad and that worked perfectly. It’s been a few weeks and it charges every time.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
There are issues with the new iPhones charging with non apple pads. That is supposedly being worked on by apple (you can find articles about it). That said - my new iPhone 12 Mini was not charging or at best only intermittently - so I tried laying a golf pencil sideways to effectively raise the phone about 1/4” higher on the pad and that worked perfectly. It’s been a few weeks and it charges every time.

Just FYI. I have several cheap, made in China, no name, charging pads at home that I have used for years on various phones. And they all work fine with 12 Pro Non Max with non apple, non MagSafe cases. Doesn’t seem to require anything special.

Just got an iPhone 12 mini, and does not charge on the Tesla wireless charging pad (without case). Charging coil does not align. I need to prop it up a tiny bit by putting a piece of straw or something else at the bottom of the cradle so it aligns with coil. Haven’t figured out best material yet. Not a huge deal with the mini as it can be resolved, but seems to be bigger issue with larger phones as you can’t make them smaller. Charging coil seems to be in a very specific spot on the pad, only medium sized phones seem to be aligning well.

I can report back that the TEMAI wireless charging pad works great with the mini, both vertically and horizontally, and it’s nice it only takes up one outlet (Jeda took up two, and did not charge the mini vertically without additional items put in to prop it up). I tried to charge some wireless earbuds on the other side of the TEMAI pad at the same time, and realize I’ll have to prop them up with a credit card sized spacer. Not a big deal. More important I can finally charge my phone wirelessly.

I tried finding the sweet spot on the Tesla pad, but never quite found it. Another thing to note is that after over a week, no response from Jeda on my requests to return their wireless pad that misleadingly says in their web site works with the mini. Hope I didn’t throw away $75 for nothing.

Thanks to everyone here for their help!

Putting straw under a mini is a good hack for now, but as soon as you accelerate or hit a bump, there goes the phone flying.

I'm picking up the mini in a month or so, but this would be a big problem for me.

Anyone else hear back from Tesla about any of this?

I just got my Y this past Monday (29 March). My 12 mini charges, but very poorly due to non-optimal coil alignment. I’ve been considering adhering a MagSafe charging puck onto the charging pad and somehow running the cable down onto the center console. Still not sure how I’m gonna do that.

Update: I did it! Video here:
You can remove the soft pleather trim from the console and run the cable down into the storage area through a hole on either the left or right side. The sliding door has a convenient notch cut out of it on the right side, so I routed the cable over there.

I used a single strip of “fashion tape” on the back of the puck to adhere it to the stock charging pad.

I also unplugged the charging pad just to make sure its coils don’t interfere.

A kind person on the Tesla discord created this for me and going to try it out with my iPhone mini and report any findings for us to tweak. (2021 MYP - March Build)
IMG_20210402_173157.jpg

early 2021 MY here. Mini charges more consistently on the left side of the OEM pad. It almost never charges on the right side and is about 80% effective on the left side. Had the charger pad replaced by Tesla but the same behavior still exists. Still researching to see which aftermarket pads work best. I just don't feel like spending 100 bucks on a damn charging pad.

early 2021 MY here. Mini charges more consistently on the left side of the OEM pad. It almost never charges on the right side and is about 80% effective on the left side. Had the charger pad replaced by Tesla but the same behavior still exists. Still researching to see which aftermarket pads work best. I just don't feel like spending 100 bucks on a damn charging pad.
MagSafe puck is $40 :p

MagSafe puck is $40 :p
But but it's such an eyesore just lying there hahaha, PLUS I'm the Android guy. It's my wife's iphone mini....and my 2nd phone (iphone mini) that's is having the issue. Right now we just designate the left side as the iphone side and the right side as the non-iphone side. Worst comes to worse, we have an iphone cable in the car. Eventually I'll get one of those pucks. Is it strong enough to latch on if you try to fish an iphone out of a crevice? hehehee.