Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro and Mini Wireless Charging Pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A kind person on the Tesla discord created this for me and going to try it out with my iPhone mini and report any findings for us to tweak. (2021 MYP - March Build)
IMG_20210402_173157.jpg

Hey everyone. I'm actually the guy that designed and printed this spacer for rebukv.

I'd be happy to print these for anyone here that would like one. I was really hoping the new 2021 phone dock would have some kind of metal backing or base, so that I could embed hidden magnets in this spacer that would snap into place. It sounds like there isnt any metal unfortunately. But you could hold it securely in place with some double-side foam tape.

Hey everyone. I'm actually the guy that designed and printed this spacer for rebukv.

I'd be happy to print these for anyone here that would like one. I was really hoping the new 2021 phone dock would have some kind of metal backing or base, so that I could embed hidden magnets in this spacer that would snap into place. It sounds like there isnt any metal unfortunately. But you could hold it securely in place with some double-side foam tape.
Hi! I’d love to buy one from you!

Hi! I’d love to buy one from you!
Ditto - so would I, as trying to wirelessly charge a 12 mini is constantly hit or miss.

I used these: Amazon.com: Wannap Magnetic Wireless Car Charger Metal Rings for Apple Magsafe Wireless Charger on iPhone12 Case with 3M Sticker. (3Black+3Silver)
[image]
Looks great, costs pennies, and seems to work well so far. It also holds my phone in that satisfying MagSafe way.

UPDATE: Do not do this! It didn’t end up working at all after the first time, and the sticker on the back of the ring left goop on the car fabric that I’m still trying to pick off. 🤦‍♂️

I was having the same problem - 2021 Model Y - iPhone 12 Mini not charging on the wireless charger. I found a solution to this problem.
Set the iPhone 12 mini in the charger, Twist the phone counter clockwise as far as it goes while still in touch with the charging pad. The phone will light up as charging. Then move the phone back to the standard position and charging will continue until you move the phone off the charger. I have repeated these steps over and over and the phone will charge 100% of the time. This works with both sides of the wireless charger.
What I think is happening is the car doesn't send power to the charger until it senses a compatible phone is present. The phone doesn't signal to the car it is there unless it is position cockeyed in the holder. Once the car realizes the phone is there, charging current continues to flow so you can move the phone back to the normal position. It must be some combination of polarity out of sync between what the iphone 12 mini sends out and the recognition built into the Tesla wireless charger. Hope this helps everyone who has been stuck on this issue.

Just got an iPhone 12 mini, and does not charge on the Tesla wireless charging pad (without case). Charging coil does not align. I need to prop it up a tiny bit by putting a piece of straw or something else at the bottom of the cradle so it aligns with coil. Haven’t figured out best material yet. Not a huge deal with the mini as it can be resolved, but seems to be bigger issue with larger phones as you can’t make them smaller. Charging coil seems to be in a very specific spot on the pad, only medium sized phones seem to be aligning well.
I was having the same problem - 2021 Model Y - iPhone 12 Mini not charging on the wireless charger. I found a solution to this problem.
Set the iPhone 12 mini in the charger, Twist the phone counter clockwise as far as it goes while still in touch with the charging pad. The phone will light up as charging. Then move the phone back to the standard position and charging will continue until you move the phone off the charger. I have repeated these steps over and over and the phone will charge 100% of the time. This works with both sides of the wireless charger.
What I think is happening is the car doesn't send power to the charger until it senses a compatible phone is present. The phone doesn't signal to the car it is there unless it is position cockeyed in the holder. Once the car realizes the phone is there, charging current continues to flow so you can move the phone back to the normal position. It must be some combination of polarity out of sync between what the iphone 12 mini sends out and the recognition built into the Tesla wireless charger. Hope this helps everyone who has been stuck on this issue.

Reactions: hcdavis3
There are issues with the new iPhones charging with non apple pads. .. I tried laying a golf pencil sideways to effectively raise the phone about 1/4” higher on the pad and that worked perfectly.
So I'm not the only one!

Golf pencil. Doesn't cost anything, doesnt screw up your phone, doesnt screw up the car, doesnt require a complicated installation, doesn't move around once it's in place (and wouldn't cause a problem anyway even if it does), generally perfect.