TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

iPhone 12 Pro Max and charging

Discussion in 'Model Y: Interior & Exterior' started by rijc99, Nov 13, 2020.

1. rijc99

rijc99 Member

My charging pad doesn’t seem to charge the Pro Max. Can someone else confirm?

2. Fobia

Fobia Member

Yup I have the same issue. I have it on the apple leather case and it never recognized it.

3. Kendall

Kendall Member

I had some trouble initially but if I pushed it down a bit it started working. I have the apple silicon case on it but it’s definitely more fickle than the 11 pro it replaced.

4. bbmertz

bbmertz Model Y

Yes, it will charge (albeit slowly) without a case, however I cannot get the 12 Pro Max to charge with a case on, since the phone needs to sit lower on the charging pad. I can get it to charge in the case if I slide off the plastic lip on the bottom of the charging pad, but this would allow the phone to fall into the storage compartment below.

5. rijc99

rijc99 Member

ok. Thanks for checking. I guess I need to stick a apple MagSafe puck on top of the Tesla charging pad. I hope Tesla comes out with a charging pad that fits the new phones.

6. bbmertz

bbmertz Model Y

I did the same thing using double-sided tape so the puck stays in place. It actually charges the phone much faster than the Tesla wireless charging pad using the same USB-C outlet.

7. burn1010

burn1010 Member

This may be the reason the MY gets the new center console sooner rather than later.

• Like x 1
  8. gunthermic

gunthermic Member

I just got my iPhone 12 Pro XS-Max, and every time I have placed it in MY (Sept Build), it charges it...

9. rijc99

rijc99 Member

Do you have a case with your 12ProMax? Maybe with the Apple leather case it added just enough to render the coils out of range.

10. BreatheEasier

BreatheEasier Member

I'm having the same issue...will be trying with 2 different cases today. My vin is 9xxx. I wonder if earlier cars have more of an issue than late.

11. rijc99

rijc99 Member

My vin is 57,xxx. I don’t think it’s a matter of build date. I think the phone’s additional height just places the coils ever so slightly out of reach. I have a scosche charger in my other car that is doing the same thing. However, if I push it just a little lower on the lower arm that holds the phone it will charge. Just a mm and it made the difference between charging or not. Although I doubt it’s charging well since it’s barely in place.

12. JohnInSanDiego

13. gunthermic

gunthermic Member

14. Mo del Y

Mo del Y New Member

• Informative x 1
  15. Kaitou Dark

Kaitou Dark Member

• Informative x 1
  16. gunthermic

gunthermic Member

Of note. The new Pro Max doesn't sync contact or text messages either. Gotta love how new stuff just doesn't work...

17. seniorcitizen

seniorcitizen Member

I also got iPhone pro max 12 with leather MagSafe case and charging does not work. I will try a cup holder mount with a built in charger or a taptes charging pad next.

18. rijc99

rijc99 Member

Does the Taptes mat replace the factory one or sits on top?

19. JBauer

JBauer Member

I just got MY for a few weeks, and thinking to buy a iphone 12 Pro Max as well, so really appreciate all the insights here! For those tried and didn't get charged, I am just curious what if you place your iphone 12 pro max upside down (still in Portrait position) would it start charging?

20. rijc99

rijc99 Member

Nope. Didn’t work for me even when upside down. Currently using a Apple leather case.