Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro Max and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone 12 Pro won’t charge on the driver or passenger side with or without a case. My wife’s iPhone X with a leather case will charge on the passenger side but not the driver side.

Removing the lip doesn’t help.

I opened a service ticket.

Last edited:
2 Iphone 12 minis here. driver's side charges better than the passenger but it's still hit or miss with or without a case. I'm tempted to get a 3rd party wireless charger to replace the OEM (which has been replaced by Tesla once already) or just get a magsafe puck and put it on there to guarantee that it charges. What 3rd party wireless charger is the best that works with the iphone 12 mini?

I think with the new console, it charges. I could be wrong though. I have the old console on a '21 Model Y Long Range and my iPhone 12 Pro Max will not charge with the case I have on.

I'd probably agree, the newer batch does seem improved quite a bit; and HotIce above confirmed it too. My VIN is 61xxx although it is a '21 MY, so I am still looking for a solution to get my 12promax charged wirelessly.

Alright, as promised, the updated spacer STL for the 2020 Model Y. Tested with a 12 Pro Max and both the Apple silicone and leather cases over bumps and rough terrain. Looks solid. Offered free for non-commercial use.

2020 Model Y wireless charging phone spacer by Gizmotoy

I just wanted to say thank you! Works absolutely perfect with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and silicon case. My local library offers 3D printing services and for $3.50 they were able to print this without issue. Very pleased!

thank you!!!

Just picked up my MY on Thursday and my iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn’t charge if the phone is naturally placed down. If I push down really hard, to try and slide it as low as possible it will charge. But it’s very finicky, and only works about half the time.

I’m curious as to how others above are saying it charges fine? This is with my phone without a case and with a symmetry case which is very thin.

Did they change something?

Only works on the passenger side when put in normally and with no case. Any case at all, and it doesn't work on the right side. The left side I have to push down hard to make it work and hold it there. Again with no case at all. It barely fits in there anyway and this is for an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have given up and just ran a cable to it now.

Just picked up my MY on Thursday and my iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn’t charge if the phone is naturally placed down. If I push down really hard, to try and slide it as low as possible it will charge. But it’s very finicky, and only works about half the time.

I’m curious as to how others above are saying it charges fine? This is with my phone without a case and with a symmetry case which is very thin.

Did they change something?

Only works on the passenger side when put in normally and with no case. Any case at all, and it doesn't work on the right side. The left side I have to push down hard to make it work and hold it there. Again with no case at all. It barely fits in there anyway and this is for an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have given up and just ran a cable to it now.

Edit: Didn't realize what thread this was so I assumed everyone was talking about the 2021, updated console. My response below is my experience on the updated console.

Not sure what you mean by naturally, but when I put mine in I HAVE* to have it perfectly straight up and down. Because of the curve of the charging pad, this means it will be right up against the divider in the center.

And for those that are blaming Apple for making it not charge on anything but a MagSafe charger, that's not the problem. My wife and I use ours on four different Qi chargers (bedside, my home office, her work office, my work office). Until last week, I hadn't had to use my work office and found that it didn't work on that one because the charger was too short (it is an upright charger). The bedside and her office are both lay flat ones and my home office is an upright one and it worked find on those, however for the ones that lay flat, the phone does have to be placed differently than my work iPhone 8. It appears that the charger is higher up (in relation to the bottom of the phone) in the iPhone 12 Pro Max than in the other phones.

I haven't tried my iPhone 8 in the car, but others have used their pre-12 iPhones in the car without any problems

*I HAVE to from a little bit of OCD -- since it won't align to the outside edge, it HAS to align to the inside edge. Didn't try to move it just to get it to charge, but my guess is that it is that.

Last edited:
Edit: Didn't realize what thread this was so I assumed everyone was talking about the 2021, updated console. My response below is my experience on the updated console.

Not sure what you mean by naturally, but when I put mine in I HAVE* to have it perfectly straight up and down. Because of the curve of the charging pad, this means it will be right up against the divider in the center.

And for those that are blaming Apple for making it not charge on anything but a MagSafe charger, that's not the problem. My wife and I use ours on four different Qi chargers (bedside, my home office, her work office, my work office). Until last week, I hadn't had to use my work office and found that it didn't work on that one because the charger was too short (it is an upright charger). The bedside and her office are both lay flat ones and my home office is an upright one and it worked find on those, however for the ones that lay flat, the phone does have to be placed differently than my work iPhone 8. It appears that the charger is higher up (in relation to the bottom of the phone) in the iPhone 12 Pro Max than in the other phones.

I haven't tried my iPhone 8 in the car, but others have used their pre-12 iPhones in the car without any problems

*I HAVE to from a little bit of OCD -- since it won't align to the outside edge, it HAS to align to the inside edge. Didn't try to move it just to get it to charge, but my guess is that it is that.
I have 3 Mophie QI chargers (of various configs such as a watch and phone charger, small disk one, etc.), a Samsung QI one, a few generic ones and not a single one works with any of the 3 iPhone 12 Pro Max phones we have in the household. They will initially show a charge but after about seconds, stop charging. It hasn't improved regardless of IOS version.

Each of these chargers works fine with the 4 iPhone XS Max phones and every Samsung phone that supports wireless charging. My latest Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra works with no issues in my MY, on either side, even in its case.