Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro Max and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's micro USB... So I'm glad I got the USB C to micro USB cable. View attachment 612403

Ok. So. Got mine today. Also got a USB C to micro USB cable like you suggested; thanks. However, this wireless charging pad is NOT good for the iPhone 12 mini. It says it works with all iPhone 12 models. Not so much. First off, the wireless charging pad doesn't clip or secure in place. But ok. Second, I tried just connecting the left side, which would connect just the left side of the charging pad. Doesn't charge. But I noticed if I hold it up 1 inch higher on the pad, it charges. Then when it drops down, it stops charging if I let go. So, I put the spacer in. I still have to hold it up 1/2 inch to engage the wireless charge, and it stops when I let go and it drops down. Then I tried unplugging my USB for sentry and plugged in the other side too. It did the same thing on the right side. The only way I could get it to charge regularly was to lay it horizontally, which is not how I want to use it. I realize I could get something 1/2 inch thick to raise my phone up, but for $75, it should work as intended. Pretty disappointed. Debating whether I should order and try the TEMAI version that Mr. Big said works with his iPhone 12 Pro. But I'm starting to feel like the mini is just not supported by these chargers.

I bought the taptes wireless charger. Works great, but needed some double sided tape because it’s not as hefty. I like that it’s usb C both ways, and most importantly it has little indication lights that the device is charging.

Wireless charging is inherently slow, but it works.

Ok. So. Got mine today. Also got a USB C to micro USB cable like you suggested; thanks. However, this wireless charging pad is NOT good for the iPhone 12 mini. It says it works with all iPhone 12 models. Not so much. First off, the wireless charging pad doesn't clip or secure in place. But ok. Second, I tried just connecting the left side, which would connect just the left side of the charging pad. Doesn't charge. But I noticed if I hold it up 1 inch higher on the pad, it charges. Then when it drops down, it stops charging if I let go. So, I put the spacer in. I still have to hold it up 1/2 inch to engage the wireless charge, and it stops when I let go and it drops down. Then I tried unplugging my USB for sentry and plugged in the other side too. It did the same thing on the right side. The only way I could get it to charge regularly was to lay it horizontally, which is not how I want to use it. I realize I could get something 1/2 inch thick to raise my phone up, but for $75, it should work as intended. Pretty disappointed. Debating whether I should order and try the TEMAI version that Mr. Big said works with his iPhone 12 Pro. But I'm starting to feel like the mini is just not supported by these chargers.

Just checked it this morning when the GF and I commute to work. She has an SE2, guess what? the wireless connection is not good on the Jeda V3. It comes and goes, and you have to fiddle with it. Not happy. Maybe the TEMAI version?

I'm just thinking about going back to the stock one and have her plug hers in.

I believe he means the power button on the phone. The mount does not have power.
Just checked it this morning when the GF and I commute to work. She has an SE2, guess what? the wireless connection is not good on the Jeda V3. It comes and goes, and you have to fiddle with it. Not happy. Maybe the TEMAI version?

I'm just thinking about going back to the stock one and have her plug hers in.

Well, in the thread Mr. Big mentioned above, the TEMAI rep said theirs definitely works with the mini. I’m going to order one. Jeda had better send a full refund. Bad on them for saying it works with the mini. Fingers crossed for the TEMAI wireless pad.

^^^ The Temai vendor has started a thread here and has been very responsive to all inquiries. They'll probably be able to answer your question.
Vendor - TEMAI HEPA N98 air filter, 2nd week winner announced. FREE giveaways continues

Mr. Big, what adaptor did you need to plug the TEMAI pad into your Y? It looks like you only have to plug in one cable, which would be great since I could leave my USB drive in for Sentry. Just not sure what adapter I need. Many thanks for all your help.

My charging pad doesn’t seem to charge the Pro Max. Can someone else confirm?
Are you using a case? The Apple silicone case I have works with other wireless chargers, but is too thick to fit under the lip at the bottom of the charging pad of the Model Y. It causes the phone to sit up higher and thus not align with the charging portion of the pad. If I remove the phone from the case it fits under the lip and charges fine.

Perhaps a thinner case though I equate a thinner case with less protection and already have the Apple one which I like. I think someone on this thread shared a case that worked for them. https://amzn.to/3obZeiY

There are some replacement charging pads on Amazon that allow bigger phones to sit horizontally which I think looks much nicer as well and have wished that Tesla would have offered this as well. I have not tried any of the replacement charging pads on Amazon, but I am considering it. If anyone has one that they recommend, please post. I think one person on this thread recommended the TAPTES charger (link below), but I found one with a charging coil that also allows for charging AirPods as well (Farasla 4 coils, link below). Perhaps Tesla will update this soon and offer an option for upgrading. Ideally Tesla would offer a MagSafe option that would allow15w charging.

Farasla 4 coils wireless charger (supports AirPod charging as well)
https://amzn.to/33w4c1V

TAPTES Wireless Charger
https://amzn.to/2JzvRIi

Motorbe Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger Pad
https://amzn.to/33C02FQ

Are you using a case? The Apple silicone case I have works with other wireless chargers, but is too thick to fit under the lip at the bottom of the charging pad of the Model Y. It causes the phone to sit up higher and thus not align with the charging portion of the pad. If I remove the phone from the case it fits under the lip and charges fine.

Perhaps a thinner case though I equate a thinner case with less protection and already have the Apple one which I like. I think someone on this thread shared a case that worked for them. https://amzn.to/3obZeiY

There are some replacement charging pads on Amazon that allow bigger phones to sit horizontally which I think looks much nicer as well and have wished that Tesla would have offered this as well. I have not tried any of the replacement charging pads on Amazon, but I am considering it. If anyone has one that they recommend, please post. I think one person on this thread recommended the TAPTES charger (link below), but I found one with a charging coil that also allows for charging AirPods as well (Farasla 4 coils, link below). Perhaps Tesla will update this soon and offer an option for upgrading. Ideally Tesla would offer a MagSafe option that would allow15w charging.

Farasla 4 coils wireless charger (supports AirPod charging as well)
https://amzn.to/33w4c1V

TAPTES Wireless Charger
https://amzn.to/2JzvRIi

Motorbe Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger Pad
https://amzn.to/33C02FQ

I ended up ordering the Taptes one.

Stock versus Taptes. Both are USB C. I haven’t confirmed charging speed yet but it does charge in vertical position. iPhone 12ProMax with Apple MagSafe leather case.

The Taptes one feels so flimsy compared to the oem one though. Hopefully it’ll hold up.

Attachments

• FCF54644-66C1-4186-93E4-D9D099588321.jpeg
    FCF54644-66C1-4186-93E4-D9D099588321.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 132
My iPhone XS Max always worked fine in the Apple leather case, so I was sad to hear the Pro Max has a problem. My leather case is on backorder, but my wife's silicone case arrived. I was able to confirm it kind of worked. If you get it in there just right, it works fine. But it's almost impossible to simply drop the phone in there and have it work, it takes some finagling.

Upthread someone posted a link to the STL of a spacer, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's for the Model 3, and some stuff has changed since that model was made. The tolerances are off by a mm or so, and there is no longer a little nib to hold the piece in. That said, with some effort I was still able to get it to fit. Here's a few pics:

View attachment 613000View attachment 613002

I'm happy to confirm that, at least sitting still, this is enough to fix the issue (at least for the silicone case). I want to make some design changes for the Y, including removing the wired cable passthroughs so the whole ledge is a flat surface, and remove the little retention nibs that are no longer used on the Y. I'll check back in when I have more info, but this seems a relatively inexpensive fix (if you have a 3D printer).

(I'm not sure why that thumbnail is broken: the full-size image works fine)

Great news. I was able to modify this design to work a little better in the Model Y and printed a new spacer. This one works great. I'm pretty happy how it came out, and was a cheap and easy fix. Some bumpy roads showed no signs of toggling power, but I'll keep an eye on it. I'd post new pictures, but they look pretty much the same, it's just a better fit. It's completely invisible once installed and you lower the charging panel. I'll post the remix to Thingiverse once I check a few final things.

I recommend you install the faceplate to the spacer, and then the spacer to the car. For some reason I had a lot of difficulty getting it to fit when attaching in the reverse order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Big