Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro Max and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Apple Mag Safe charger on iPhone 12 devices is NOT compatible with the former Qi wireless charging specification. They must be plugged in, or install a MagSafe compatible charger device. I have not seen a Tesla specific MagSafe charger accessory offered by anyone as yet.
This isn't true. All iPhone 12s are Qi compatible up to 7.5W.

iPhone 12s, including the Pro Max, can work just fine on the Y's Qi charger if you solve the mechanical fit issue by either using no case or a slim case, or by inserting a spacer into the ledge that holds the phone.

This isn't true. All iPhone 12s are Qi compatible up to 7.5W.

iPhone 12s, including the Pro Max, can work just fine on the Y's Qi charger if you solve the mechanical fit issue by either using no case or a slim case, or by inserting a spacer into the ledge that holds the phone.

Unfortunately with the mini iPhone 12 I have not found it charges even without a case on the wireless charging pad that comes installed in the Tesla. I’ve held it everywhere on the pad possible, and maybe once out of 10 tries I’ll get a momentary flash of a charge connection. As posted above, the mini charges horizontally on the Jeda pad (or vertically if you prop it up higher on the pad), but I can’t figure out why Tesla’s wireless pad is totally useless with the mini. If it was just that the mini is shorter, you’d think pushing it up a bit higher on the pad would work (like with the Jeda), but it doesn’t help.

Unfortunately with the mini iPhone 12 I have not found it charges even without a case on the wireless charging pad that comes installed in the Tesla. I’ve held it everywhere on the pad possible, and maybe once out of 10 tries I’ll get a momentary flash of a charge connection. As posted above, the mini charges horizontally on the Jeda pad (or vertically if you prop it up higher on the pad), but I can’t figure out why Tesla’s wireless pad is totally useless with the mini. If it was just that the mini is shorter, you’d think pushing it up a bit higher on the pad would work (like with the Jeda), but it doesn’t help.
A friend charged a 12 mini on mine a week or so ago. He put a pencil on the ledge and then put the phone on top of that. Not super stable, but it worked. No case, though. The phone does have to be quite still for a few seconds for the charging to start. Maybe that's all it was?

Unfortunately I don't personally have a mini to figure out what sort of spacer you need to get it to line up correctly.

Just got my MY. I have the iPhone 12 pro max with a thin case and it doesn't charge, I have to take the case off for it to work. I don't mind it much as I have the Qi phone mount on the screen itself. My wife has the base iPhone 12 and it works for hers with a case.

Taptes with USB C. 12 Pro Max on left and 12 Mini on the right. Both with Apple leather case.

Attachments

• 3401F38E-BD23-47AB-9DD1-FE2D02E891E8.jpeg
    3401F38E-BD23-47AB-9DD1-FE2D02E891E8.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 612
Reactions: DennyL
My fiancee just bought a pro max. Has anyone found a case on amazon that will work with the charger? I'm hoping some of those thin cases will work.
Torras case ( TORRAS Diamonds Series Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro Max Case 6.7 inch 2020, Slim Fit Thin Shockproof Hard Plastic Back & Flexible Bumper Case, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZCMQJN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_RZUZFbT2ZK70W) on Amazon works but only after installing the Jeda spacer. Interestingly my wife has same phone but bought the Spigen case and it won’t work even with the spacer.

SMH
What a mess.

I bought the spacer on Etsy; however, my 12 Pro Max with the Apple Leather Case still does not charge with the stock Tesla charging pad.

If I remove the case, or if I place the phone with the case on the passenger half of the charging pad just right, then it charges.
At least it charges? My wife is the one with the pro max, I still have my pixel 4xl. I guess it being on the passenger side is better then having to replace the whole pad / nothing. Could also maybe be the Leathercase. Wife has a thin bumper case. Even my pixel 4xl sometimes gets finicky when it wants to charge depending on placement.

Any problems with closing lid?

Last edited:
I bought the spacer on Etsy; however, my 12 Pro Max with the Apple Leather Case still does not charge with the stock Tesla charging pad.

If I remove the case, or if I place the phone with the case on the passenger half of the charging pad just right, then it charges.
My leather case is still on backorder, but due to arrive next week. I've also modified the spacer model the Jeda and Etsy offerings are based on to be more applicable to the Y. If the leather case doesn't charge reliably in the driver side slot, I'll adjust the model to fix it. I do know the the model as I have it today works in both slots with the Apple silicone case.

My leather case is still on backorder, but due to arrive next week. I've also modified the spacer model the Jeda and Etsy offerings are based on to be more applicable to the Y. If the leather case doesn't charge reliably in the driver side slot, I'll adjust the model to fix it. I do know the the model as I have it today works in both slots with the Apple silicone case.

Did you ever consider making the spacer such that it actually drops the phone DOWN by maybe half an inch or so? Seems like it would be easy enough to design, but I also don’t know anything about 3D printing

Also, do you mind sharing your version and how I would acquire it? I also have a iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Apple silicone case

Did you ever consider making the spacer such that it actually drops the phone DOWN by maybe half an inch or so? Seems like it would be easy enough to design, but I also don’t know anything about 3D printing

Also, do you mind sharing your version and how I would acquire it? I also have a iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Apple silicone case
Due to the design of the thing, you can't move it down a half inch. The internal structure of the connection mechanism prevents this. Based on tolerances, I think you could move it down by about 3mm and still be able to connect all the pieces together. Perhaps a little more. But it's a big enough change to the model that I'd probably only do it if necessary.

I'll share the model hopefully next week once I can confirm it works with both leather and silicone Apple cases in both driver and passenger side slots. I'll make whatever changes necessary to meet those two requirements.

Maybe its supposed to work, but my wife's new iPhone 12 ProMax does not charge on any of our existing Qi wireless chargers that my iPhone 10 ProMax uses, including the one in the Model Y. Apple's specs on their website for all 12 models states they only support the Mag-safe wireless protocol. It doesn't mention the Qi protocol anywhere. ONLY the Mag-safe.