Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro Max and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe its supposed to work, but my wife's new iPhone 12 ProMax does not charge on any of our existing Qi wireless chargers that my iPhone 10 ProMax uses, including the one in the Model Y. Apple's specs on their website for all 12 models states they only support the Mag-safe wireless protocol. It doesn't mention the Qi protocol anywhere. ONLY the Mag-safe.
It's right on the product page: "Qi wireless charging up to 7.5W"
iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max - Technical Specifications
No problems here on any Qi charger other than the Y. And even that one appears to be because Tesla slightly undersized the ledge.

Separate note, I can confirm the modified spacer model I was working on makes the Pro Max in both the Apple leather and silicone cases work in both the driver and passenger side positions with the stock charging pad. Thicker cases should also work, but I don't have any to test.

I'll post the model later this weekend in case anyone with a 3D printer wants to whip one up.

Alright, as promised, the updated spacer STL for the 2020 Model Y. Tested with a 12 Pro Max and both the Apple silicone and leather cases over bumps and rough terrain. Looks solid. Offered free for non-commercial use.

2020 Model Y wireless charging phone spacer by Gizmotoy

Attachments

• IMG_3005.jpg
    IMG_3005.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2973 2.jpg
    IMG_2973 2.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 241
To my disappointment the iPhone Pro Max does not charge with the factory wireless charger. For this reason i've created a charging "dock bar" that lowered and deeper than the factory to accept the iPhone Pro Max

The dockbar is deep enough to accept cases that are 12mm or less, so far i've tested the iPhone 12 Pro Max, Otterbox Symmetry and the Ringke Onyx case with no issues. i've uploaded the STL file to Thingiverse for those interested in printing.

Charging "Dock Bar" for iPhone Pro Max's by csin

1.png 2.png

Last edited:
Did some further testing which produced erratic results. My wife has the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I have the iPhone (10) XS Max. My phone support wireless charging on the Qi charger standard. I have only found info on the Apple.com site that indicates the iPhone 12 ProMax supports the Apple Mag Safe wireless charging. There is NO MENTION of compatibility with Qi Wireless charging for the iPhone 12 Pro Max. We found that her phone would charge if placed on the Qi wireless pad on the Model Y console cover ONLY if she removes it from her approved Apple plastic case. My iPhone 10 charges fine on the cover while its aftermarket, non authorized case is on. If we try to charge her iPhone 12 Pro Max on an indoor atomi brand Qi wireless charger, it appears to charge with the authorized Apple case off. If we try to charge with the case ON, then the charger cycles On and Off, and does NOT charger her phone. I note that this charger is rated a 10W charger. I believe the iPhone 12 ProMax has a 30W recommended charger. Thus, while wireless charging may appear to work partially, I do not believe the wireless charging pad in the Model Y is fully compatible with the iPhone 12 Pro Max charging requirements. Perhaps someone on here has further info on the Apple iPhone 12 wireless charging requirements, and can offer further comment?

I'm still not able to charge without removing my Otterbox Symmetry case...even with a spacer. I can remove the spacer/resting bar altogether, and it doesn't matter where I place my iPhone 12 Pro Max - the case simply must be just thick enough and blocks the ability to charge. Seems to charge just fine with the case off, with or without the spacer. Rebooting the phone has no impact.

The etsy spacer doesn't work either. It helped my phone, pixel 4xl consistently charge as sometimes it didn't depending on the angle I place it on with the oem trim but still no luck for my finacees iphone 12pro max with a case.

May have to give gizmotoys spacer a try, if I can find a 3D printer to use.

I'm still not able to charge without removing my Otterbox Symmetry case...even with a spacer. I can remove the spacer/resting bar altogether, and it doesn't matter where I place my iPhone 12 Pro Max - the case simply must be just thick enough and blocks the ability to charge. Seems to charge just fine with the case off, with or without the spacer. Rebooting the phone has no impact.

Does it work with the case on on any Qi charger?

i'm charging fine with symmetry case; did you try my dock bar replacement?

Charging "Dock Bar" for iPhone Pro Max's by csin