Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

iPhone 13 Pro (and Pro Max) -- does wireless charging work in Plaid / Refresh S?

planetary

Dec 29, 2018
Danville, CA
Hey folks,

Seeing sporadic reports that the new iPhone 13 Pro models (regular and Pro Max) are not working in Tesla's newer car's wireless charging bays, due to the larger camera bump. There's also a report that it does work -- but only if you lay the phone screen-side-down.

Can any of you early Apple adopers confirm this specifically on the Model S Refresh?

Reactions: impastu
Upvote 0

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Hey folks,

Seeing sporadic reports that the new iPhone 13 Pro models (regular and Pro Max) are not working in Tesla's newer car's wireless charging bays, due to the larger camera bump. There's also a report that it does work -- but only if you lay the phone screen-side-down.

Can any of you early Apple adopers confirm this specifically on the Model S Refresh?
Where are you hearing these reports?

Reactions: WhiteWi and impastu
I have a Spigen clear case, and my iPhone 13 Pro Max will not charge normally on my 2021 Model 3. If I take the case off, it works. If I leave the case on and flip the phone upside down (face up, just opposite direction) - it does charge.

Would be nice to know exactly what cases are working for iPhone 13 Pro Max's in Teslas, without flipping them upside down.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut

planetary

Dec 29, 2018
Danville, CA
I have a Spigen clear case, and my iPhone 13 Pro Max will not charge normally on my 2021 Model 3. If I take the case off, it works. If I leave the case on and flip the phone upside down (face up, just opposite direction) - it does charge.

Would be nice to know exactly what cases are working for iPhone 13 Pro Max's in Teslas, without flipping them upside down.
Does your case perhaps not have Magsafe? That might be the issue.

eusebio2

Sep 27, 2021
SBA
Hey folks,

I am having this issue. Upside down it appears to have some contact but it’s not optimal.

Does your case perhaps not have Magsafe? That might be the issue.
The case does not have Magsafe, it's a "Spigen Ultra Hybrid". I do not believe Magsafe affects regular Qi charging. It only comes into play if you use Apple's magsafe accessories to hold onto the back of your device strongly, and to better align the coils for the faster "Magsafe" 15W charging.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC