Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 13 Pro (and Pro Max) -- does wireless charging work in Plaid / Refresh S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

Seeing sporadic reports that the new iPhone 13 Pro models (regular and Pro Max) are not working in Tesla's newer car's wireless charging bays, due to the larger camera bump. There's also a report that it does work -- but only if you lay the phone screen-side-down.

Can any of you early Apple adopers confirm this specifically on the Model S Refresh?
I will let you know---I pick up my new plaid this week!

Reactions: planetary
On the front charging pads I felt as if my iPhone 12 would say it was charging, but unless the battery was low it just got hot and would not really charge so I stopped using the charging pad. Will have to test the iPhone 13 to see if it gets juice, but it does connect to wireless charging when placed on the pad.

I have a Spigen clear case, and my iPhone 13 Pro Max will not charge normally on my 2021 Model 3. If I take the case off, it works. If I leave the case on and flip the phone upside down (face up, just opposite direction) - it does charge.

Would be nice to know exactly what cases are working for iPhone 13 Pro Max's in Teslas, without flipping them upside down.

Hmmm, I posted about this in the Model 3 sub. I have a 13 Pro Max and I tried the upside down (not face down) approach... didn't work with my Mous case on.

I suspect the thickness of the camera lens is pushing the phone just a few mm away from the wireless charging surface and not letting the induction work. Since we're talking about only a mm or two, it's possible the assembly spec on the actual OEM wireless charging surface would vary between cars enough to throw this for a loop.

On the front charging pads I felt as if my iPhone 12 would say it was charging, but unless the battery was low it just got hot and would not really charge so I stopped using the charging pad. Will have to test the iPhone 13 to see if it gets juice, but it does connect to wireless charging when placed on the pad.
This has been my experience! It would not take much charge at all when the phone SoC was above 75%, it would just get blazing hot. My car is in service since the 23rd, so I have not yet tried it with my 13 pro max.
I was wondering if everyone notices this, and have you found a way to set the phone alignment such that it spends less time heating up the phone and more time charging it.

Reactions: nilesborg
I can also echo the M3/Y sentiments. My 13 pro max with a slim case will not charge unless it is up against the center divide and even then, not consistently. Turning the phone upside down seems to do the trick.

For the record, our iPhone 13 pro max’s having such a large camera bump that it hinders the wireless charging in our Tesla’s is the most first world problem I’ve heard :)

Its weird in my MY. I just got the car back from first service to fix the front fenders alignment, paint issues, and also the charging pad. On my documentation they said they tested it with an iPhone X and it worked fine but i tried my 12 pro max again and it did the same thing: charges then 10-20 seconds later, it stops charging. Then it repeats this. Its very distracting having the screen go on and off all the time every time charging engages or not. I tried it upside down and same thing, off then on. Its terrible that a costco charger has no problems than an installed charger. Its great it fits the phone but just doesnt work for me.

I made a makeshift charger instead. I had already bought the Jowua Magsafe charger. I refused to use the 3M tape on the back of the screen and removed the tape and plastic mount plate. I used the aluminum swingarm of the Jowua charger and screwed it under a tightening screw of the suction cup mount arm and it works great. I have the mag mount under the screen so not to block my view or get hit by my leg.

• Informative
Reactions: planetary
Hey folks,

Seeing sporadic reports that the new iPhone 13 Pro models (regular and Pro Max) are not working in Tesla's newer car's wireless charging bays, due to the larger camera bump. There's also a report that it does work -- but only if you lay the phone screen-side-down.

Can any of you early Apple adopers confirm this specifically on the Model S Refresh?
Mine works perfect. Just got the note on the air bag recall. Mine is one of the cars---says they will call me for total replacement.