Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 14 Pro Max in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you got a New iphone 14? Think it was just released for them as i do have it on my 14PM
No, 13 Pro Max.. only found out that 16.0.1 was iPhone 14 only yesterday. Thanks.

Update to say that a slimmer Torras case without MagSafe and the 14 Pro Max has resumed wireless charging in the Model 3.
MagSafe cases add a big magnetic ring on the back of the phone, so it's hardly surprising they impede regular Qi charging.

You don't strictly need a MagSafe case, unless you're planning to mount the phone vertically or something. It just makes the connection to a MagSafe charger stronger, means you don't have to think about where you're putting it really as it'll get pulled towards the magnet. The phone itself has a magnet inside though.

14 Pro with Apple silicone case is mostly OK in a facelift Model 3, but occasionally stops charging due to high temperature.

It’s extremely picky about where on the pad it goes. Not tried it upside-down actually, but seems like a good idea.

Anyone had success with a clear plastic case for the iPhone 14 Pro Max that will wirelessly charge on the Model Y? Tried this one Mkeke for iPhone 14 Pro Max but unfortunately the extended frame/lip around the camera lenses caused the case to not lie flat against the center console charging pad on the, so as the phone not lying flat and making sufficient contact with the wireless charging pad, the phone will not charge. If I remove the case, the iPhone 14 Pro Max phone charges fine.

I still have not been able to find a clear silicone/tpu case for the iPhone 14 Pro Max that will work on the Tesla OEM charging pad (2021+ refresh) and have not come across any posts that specifically identify a clear case that works with this configuration (have tried 4 so far). This issues seems to be unique to the iPhone 14 Pro Max due to the size of the phone and the extended camera cut out lip. My wife has the iPhone 14 Pro and we were able to find a clear TPU case that works on that phone (1 out of 3 clear TPU cases we tried on her phone worked). Looks like iPhone 14 Pro Max owners are SOL for now with a clear case?

Last edited:
I have a 14 pro max with a Spigen Ultra Hybrid MagFit Case, works perfectly in my Y
Was it this one Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit? The OEM Tesla wireless charging pad doesn't support MegaSafe, but utilizes Qi and as mentioned by Durzel earlier in the thread the "MagSafe cases add a big magnetic ring on the back of the phone, so it's hardly surprising they impede regular Qi charging" But I guess the design of the Spiegen case with the MegaSafe charging ring allows the back of the phone to make contact with the charging rings on the charging pad? It would be interesting to know the difference in the rate of charge with the Spiegen and/or Apple MegaSafe Case on vs off(Tesla's OEM Qi-enabled inductive phone charger should be able to charge at up to 15W of power). I also noticed that when charging with the case off, the back of the phone gets quite warm (I don't remember that being the case with my previous iPhone 11 Pro Max). There is another thread going on this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/iphone-14-wireless-charging-pad.280117/page-3

Last edited:
My iPhone 12, 13 pro max and my 14 pro max haven’t been great on my M3 wireless charging pads. The 13 pro max never worked, the 14 pro max only works if I take off the apple clear case. When it does work, the phones get hot and it adds very little charge, it would stop a phone switching off, but it wouldn’t charge it up from 50% to full. Hopefully models later than my 09/20 M3P are better.

I have no issues charging my 13 Pro Max on the wireless charging pad in my 2020 car.

It doesn’t charge it amazingly quick, about what I’d expect it to, and it doesn’t get warm so I don’t think it’s being lost though heat.

Perhaps your cases are too thick? If you’re using a case with a MagSafe ring then that’s probably not helping.

Received the Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit graphite case yesterday and tested it out but unfortunately it does not charge so its back to the drawing board. This is the 4th clear plastic/tpu case I have tried and so far none of them have worked (although this was the only MegaSafe version). Perhaps the charging rings on the wireless charger are defective as this case worked for Finnster (although the iPhone 14 Pro Max charges fine with the case off?). With the case off I also measured the charging power using Charge Master on the wireless charging pad and USB-A connector and here are the results.
IMG_0745.jpg

Received the Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit graphite case yesterday and tested it out but unfortunately it does not charge so its back to the drawing board. This is the 4th clear plastic/tpu case I have tried and so far none of them have worked (although this was the only MegaSafe version). Perhaps the charging rings on the wireless charger are defective as this case worked for Finnster (although the iPhone 14 Pro Max charges fine with the case off?). With the case off I also measured the charging power using Charge Master on the wireless charging pad and USB-A connector and here are the results.
Hi sorry for the late response, I ordered the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Magfit Case it works perfectly for me in the Y - I don't know why 2 Spigen cases would be different in terms of charging, maybe fine margins?

Hi sorry for the late response, I ordered the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Magfit Case it works perfectly for me in the Y - I don't know why 2 Spigen cases would be different in terms of charging, maybe fine margins?
They both look to be the same case to me. One from the UK Amazon store and one from the US amazon store. Only difference is white vs graphite? Can’t understand what the difference could be?