TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

iPhone 4 adapter

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ravng, Mar 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ravng

ravng Member

IMG_1472_preview_featured.jpeg

My first attempt for a iPhone 4(and 5 if it fits) adaptor for my Roadster, fresh from my 3d printer. Fits very well.
    The original alpine iphone 3 dock connector is just hidden in the console, and the new cable just goes to a standard car charger (I only use BT for audio anyway).

I am working to add some holder arrangement, so the phone stays in place during "fun driving" :)

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

The Lightning connector was introduced with the iPhone 5. The 4 and 4s have the old 30-pin connector.

3. ravng

ravng Member

You are of course quite right, I was one off.
    So this is for Iphone 5, it might fit iphone 6 :)
    Thanks for the correction.

4. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

I like it. Nice job - just one suggestion/question: Did you think of painting or printing it black? It would blend in a lot better. If you want to send one my way, I'd be happy to test it further :wink:

5. ravng

ravng Member

This is just a "draft" print.
    I have allready changed the design, and made a larger model that works like a dock. It holds my iphone 5 perfectly in place, and it is easy to insert and remove the phone.
    But I need to modify the new design a bit for a better fit into the available space.

I do have black ABS for the printer, so I will print it in black when I am done with the design.

I'll keep you updated, when I am happy with the design I can send you one, no problem.

6. ravng

ravng Member

#6 ravng, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Here is a render of the new version, very happy with the functionality.
    I now use a white draft version. The phone is easy to insert and stays in place. Best phone holder I have ever had!

Will share a better picture once I have compleded it in black.

tesla3_preview_featured.jpg

Both versions are available at thinigiverse for those with access to a 3d printer:
    New holder: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:710124
    Adapter only: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:708088

7. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

That's pretty neat, but will it work with a case? I actually just realized you're designing for the iPhone 5. I have a 6, which is significantly wider so while I appreciate the offer of sending me one, I doubt it would work with my phone.

Keep up the good work, though. I like it. I should take a picture of my set up, but I currently have a lightning cable coming out of that space with some extra slack. Your version is much cleaner.

8. ravng

ravng Member

Would be easy to make a wider version for iphone 6, but then I need to raise it up higher, then it will obstruct the Drive button maybe?
    I can try it out afterwards.

9. ravng

ravng Member

10. ravng

ravng Member

Final version, very happy with the result.

image1_preview_featured.JPG
    bilde_1_preview_featured.JPG

11. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Beautiful! I love it. Clean look and very usable. Well done. I'd love try an iPhone 6 version! Send me a PM. I'll pay for shipping, materials cost, and whatever you feel is fair for your labor, of course.

I do use this ultraslim case. I guessing that will make a slight difference:

Tech Armor iPhone 6 SlimProtect Case Ultra Slim - White/Light Grey

12. ravng

ravng Member

Can you take a measurement of total width of the phone with the cover, as well as the thickness, and I'll have a go

13. tvuolo

tvuolo Supporting Member

Hey Shrink, you might check with your local library. I know several of them in Colorado have 3D printers. You can send in your CAD drawing in various formats, select some options, and pick up your printout a day or two later. All for free with a library card. It might be cheaper and faster to get the file from ravng than have him ship the final product.