Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 5 cable for Alpine unit in v2.5 Roadsters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this question in another thread in a different way. Apparently, the 32pin cord ends in a USB connection. So all you need to do is unplug it and plug in the new USB to lightning cable. I haven't tried it yet as I stream by BT but it should work.

I had a discussion about this with one of my OVMS users.

My suggestion to him to try was that there is one screw behind the iPhone on the centre console - once you remove that, the centre console comes loose, and you can swap the cable.

His response was:

I took off the screw and indeed it wasn't top bad to take the center holder bracket off and reveal the USB wire connection. I tried plugging in the iPhone 5 cable and the head unit did recognize the iPhone and I could use the head unit search and play commands etc to control the music lists. For some reason I couldn't seem to search for videos on my iPhone. I seem to to remember being able to do that with the iPhone 4 and play their audio but whatever. At least the audio input with the new iPhone 5 connector seems to work fine.

On a related note, I got a note from ProClip that they should be shipping their iPhone 5 mounts soon and they are up for pre-order:

Dual Select Listing - ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

First, thanks for the info.

Any reason why the 5 won't fit in the space that's there today? It's a bit narrower than the 4 and 3GS (which is what I have), so if I put it in a case it should be about the same width.

It will fit just fine. Only reasons I use the proclip mounts are that (a) they hold the phone securely, (b) no messing around with wires, and (c) just drop the phone in and pull it out when leaving - painless.

It will fit just fine. Only reasons I use the proclip mounts are that (a) they hold the phone securely, (b) no messing around with wires, and (c) just drop the phone in and pull it out when leaving - painless.

You will love the ProClip iPhone 5 mount. Just got mine in (I had one of the first preorders) and works great! Not quite as easy as the drop in iPhone 4 ProClip mount but still didn't realize how much I missed my ProClip mount until I got the new one in.

Anyone got any tips for getting access to the USB cable?

I lifted the rubber pad and removed the screw, but the that's just for a trim "ring" - and I couldn't even remove the that because it appears to still be attached below the seat seater buttons. I tried twisting and tilting to no avail. Since I don't know how it attaches, I didn't want to force it. Anyway, I assume the cable runs up the center console to the dash somewhere. So, how do I get access?

I just stopped by Tesla this morning. There's a hidden "S" clip at the rear of the tray/ring/thingie. The procedure is to twist the tray side to side as you pull up. One side of the "S" clip will slide off. That will scratch and wear the side it slides off of, so you don't want to do this too often.

Anyway, the stock iPhone cable has both USB and analog 1/8" headphone connections. I just used the Apple standard USB Lightning cable and everything seems to work, including control, auto-mute on calls, and display of album art.

just did this and it was super easy. When reading the threads I thought the complete center console came out. But it is just the tray that has the seat warmer buttons. The connector is just underneath. iPhone 5 plugged in and charging/playing without a problem.

Are you guys using the single-DIN or double-DIN head unit? I have the single-DIN Alpine iDA-X305 in my Roadster, and using the Apple USB to Lightning cable definitely does NOT work. There is a note about the incompatibility issue on Alpine's website (as well as other forums). According to the notice on the website, using the Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter does work. I have a non-Apple adapter that results in the same "USB Device Error" message as the USB to Lightning cable, and I would like to verify that the Apple branded adapter works before wasting another $20. The resulting stack of adapters is not pretty, so I hope this is just an interim issue.

Based on the details, I would hypothesize that the X305 Alpine head unit doesn't support digital audio over USB, only analog (which the 30-pin to Lightning adapter provides via an onboard DAC).

I had the double din unit installed in my 2.0 roadster. As I have a new 5 iPhone, tesla service just asked that I give them the standard apple USB connector. Good thing as its longer than old tesla cord and I can rest phone on seat or in cup holder. A pocket or pro clip would probably be better. The new unit and double din are a much needed improvement.

bringing this back alive because i dont want to break anything hahaha

can someone share where shall i hold the tray when i twist left and right and pull? I feel like im about the break the plastic. If someone can attach the back of the tray it will be perfect.

Attachments

• 3615E634-0F56-408B-B7BE-B0E4195320E0.jpeg
    3615E634-0F56-408B-B7BE-B0E4195320E0.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 71