Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 5 cable for Alpine unit in v2.5 Roadsters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-_- nvm it is not usb inside for 2.0

Attachments

• 3ACA97E8-B335-4FF3-9290-48FFB3EA127F.jpeg
    3ACA97E8-B335-4FF3-9290-48FFB3EA127F.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 88
You could either pull the radio and just run a simple USB extension from the back of the unit so you can use any adapter for any phone/ipod. If you can solder you could chop the 30 pin off and it’s only 4 wires to connect a usb female plug on the lead.

Reactions: unixphone
You could either pull the radio and just run a simple USB extension from the back of the unit so you can use any adapter for any phone/ipod. If you can solder you could chop the 30 pin off and it’s only 4 wires to connect a usb female plug on the lead.

The JVC doesn't have a USB port on the unit. The iPhone cable is run from an adapter box in the area to the left of the driver's footwell and run under the carpeting to the center console.

Ohhhhh... im dropping off the car to swap the single din car audio stereo.
I took out the jvc and bought another single din jvc with rear camera view function. -_- i thought they are both jvc no adapter needed. I was wrong..

Do you think they can handle swapping the usb cable? Im also thinking ask them to put the ovms antenna under the window dash. But i dont really trust third party...(the owner drives model S)

Attachments

• 3C4A022C-A80C-4080-A69D-F8151DE060C0.jpeg
    3C4A022C-A80C-4080-A69D-F8151DE060C0.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 7BA529F4-4BD7-4F71-B071-A5098C522926.jpeg
    7BA529F4-4BD7-4F71-B071-A5098C522926.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I recently had my dash apart and swapped in a single slot unit from pioneer with a large 8” screen.

I’d say anyone with decent interior trim expertise should be able to do it (and route the cables while they are at it)

Two watch outs:

(1) the passenger airbag cover requires single use clips. I understand they are only available through Tesla or Lotus so your shop may not have them on hand. But they can do what I did - attach the cover with blue tape until they arrive from Lotus :)

(2) There are A LOT of wires in there unser and behind the dash, and Tesla has used a bunch of electronics (non automotive) style connectors - it’s a recipe to dislodge something and create a weak contact when poking around there and pulling wires through. I got errors related to the airbag and ABS along the way, and fixed them by cleaning and repeatedly unplugging and replugging connectors on the airbag control unit and the switch pack. The ABS error only cleared after a short drive - Something to watch out for when you’re chasing it down.

But overall - all doable for a skilled and diligent individual.

Good luck!

wow good job; did they change out the ipod charger cable?
nah i didnt ask. I thought about it. My single din does not have navigation system. I will need to a good vent mount to hold the phone for navigation. The good news is the stereo system has an USB port to charge my phone.
Any suggestion on a phone holder that works on the roadster’s vent? I tried a few but the vent is too thick.

nah i didnt ask. I thought about it. My single din does not have navigation system. I will need to a good vent mount to hold the phone for navigation. The good news is the stereo system has an USB port to charge my phone.
Any suggestion on a phone holder that works on the roadster’s vent? I tried a few but the vent is too thick.

i use this one from Bestrix.

i think it's a standard ball mount size, if you wanted to swap for something other than the magnetic.