Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 5 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I guess Apple has announced now that the iPhone5 will use a new dock connector.

Roadster had the option to come with an iPhone 3 / 4 type cable for charging and such.
I wonder if Tesla will offer iPhone 5 cables with Model S, or even as a Roadster retrofit ?

283686-iphone-5-may-make-old-apple-accessories-obsolete-pictures.jpg

Last edited:
They changed the connector? What will that do to phone-car compatibility? Not that it matters to me. I neither own an iPhone nor expect to use a supercharger.

The official word from Apple is so it is smaller and more durable. So they can make the phone smaller.

The real reason is so they can sell millions of $30 adapters. If they really wanted to make the phone smaller and more durable they would have gone micro USB!

The official word from Apple is so it is smaller and more durable. So they can make the phone smaller.

The real reason is so they can sell millions of $30 adapters. If they really wanted to make the phone smaller and more durable they would have gone micro USB!

But micro USB connectors are incredibly undurable. I've broken close to a dozen of them. I can't think of any other connector that that's happened with.

But micro USB connectors are incredibly undurable. I've broken close to a dozen of them. I can't think of any other connector that that's happened with.

Well with micro USB they designed the cable to break, so that you don't damage the device you are plugging in. And at $2.50 each with free shipping from amazon you would have to break about a dozen to get the cost of a single Apple connector.

If you think their connector change, to another proprietary one, is anything more than a cash grab you are mistaken.

Amazon.com: 6 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable: Computers Accessories

one more note, I've read that the new apple adapter for iphone 5 back to the old connector, is not compatible with car audio ipod systems (not sure if that impacts the roadster integration if it had native support), if all you need is charging in the car you're fine -- use Bluetooth for audio

as for micro USB durability, I haven't had any problems with the connectors themselves, just the cheap cables where a few have gotten into a state where the cable has to be bent at a certain angle for it to work anymore -- likely because I bought the 2.50$ ones. Actually now most of my micro usbs are mini->micro adapters on a usb->mini cable, those adapters were like 1$ apiece and for my non-micro devices I don't have to carry a full cable around (my camera, external usb harddrive, etc are mini)

After going through about ten $1.50 monoprice cables, I've decided that I much prefer $19 Apple cables that never break.

While extra ones are $19, every idevice comes with one free that lasts forever. You don't need to buy something that never breaks. One of the many reasons I stay with apple products. Why buy junk?