Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 6 Bluetooth Handsfree

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone 6 is still not working with my Tesla. Bluetooth music and other audio works fine, but voice calls cannot be initiated from the tesla. Calls that do come in disconnect from every 30-40 seconds. I can go in and set audio back to the Tesla, but it drops again after another 30-40 seconds.

So far I've:
Removed and paired phone multiple times and before/after all the steps below.
Rebooted driver console, center console, and phone.
Disabled contact sync and tested a call, then reenabled.
Reset iPhone network settings.
Erased phone and tested without restoring backup.
Restored device (reflashed iOS 8) and tested before and after restoring backup.
Had Apple replace my iphone with a new one, all with the same results. What am I missing?

Wow...major grief. I have had intermittent glitches with my new iPhone 6/iOS8 and BT connectivity requiring power cycling BT off-on on the iPhone and reboots of MCU & Instrument display. Works most of the time....

Definitely some flaky stuff going on with iPhone 6 Plus BT. I initially got it paired, started to make a phone call, and then hung up. Somehow the car still showed it as dialing on the display. Even if I un-paired, re-paired, reset MS screens, it would continually say "Dialing..." and no other BT functions (music) would work. Finally got it to reset by un-pairing ("forget this device" on both phone and car), reboot of both screens, and resetting the "network settings" on the iPhone (which may or may not have anything to do with it, but I figured maybe BT is tied in there somehow).

Everything works great now.

My iPhone 6 is still not working with my Tesla. Bluetooth music and other audio works fine, but voice calls cannot be initiated from the tesla. Calls that do come in disconnect from every 30-40 seconds. I can go in and set audio back to the Tesla, but it drops again after another 30-40 seconds.

So far I've:
Removed and paired phone multiple times and before/after all the steps below.
Rebooted driver console, center console, and phone.
Disabled contact sync and tested a call, then reenabled.
Reset iPhone network settings.
Erased phone and tested without restoring backup.
Restored device (reflashed iOS 8) and tested before and after restoring backup.
Had Apple replace my iphone with a new one, all with the same results. What am I missing?

I had a similar problem with an iPhone 5. It ended up being fault hardware on the phone. Apple swapped it out even though the diagnostics said to was ok.

When I got my car delivered today, the DS and I tried a number of times to get the iPhone 6 BT to work properly. As other have mentioned, audio worked fine, but phone calls could not be answered with BT and outgoing calls would not work on the BT speaker in the car.

The DS checked with his team, and apparently the Service Center has already gotten bunch of calls about this issue. He said he was expecting a quick fix given how many people are buying the iPhone 6.

I haven't tried some of the remedies mentioned here yet. But I look forward to seeing if any these help.

One question, are the folks having trouble running 5.xx or 6.0 FW? My car shipped with 5.14, and my DS was speculating on whether 6.0 has the problem solved already.

When I got my car delivered today, the DS and I tried a number of times to get the iPhone 6 BT to work properly. As other have mentioned, audio worked fine, but phone calls could not be answered with BT and outgoing calls would not work on the BT speaker in the car.

The DS checked with his team, and apparently the Service Center has already gotten bunch of calls about this issue. He said he was expecting a quick fix given how many people are buying the iPhone 6.

I haven't tried some of the remedies mentioned here yet. But I look forward to seeing if any these help.

One question, are the folks having trouble running 5.xx or 6.0 FW? My car shipped with 5.14, and my DS was speculating on whether 6.0 has the problem solved already.

My car is running 6.0.

Apparently Apple has already released and pulled iOS 8.0.1, and users are discovering they can bend the iPhone 6 plus by hand... Not good. Thinking about canceling my AT&T preorder (to be delivered in mid November). Would not surprise me to find out there are Bluetooth issues as well..

Apple Pulls First iOS 8 Update Hours After Its Release | Betabeat

What????? You can bend an aluminum/glass phone if you try hard enough???? Say it's not so...

Don't believe the hype, man. This "bendghazi" is the Apple equivalent of FUD from all the Tesla haters. I have the Plus in hand and can tell you that, while it's quite a bit more slippery feeling without a case, this is a solid phone. Will it bend? Sure.. just like almost any other non-plastic phone. Also, just like an iPad mini if you sit on it.

Back to the topic at hand, though. I had issues with my Infinit every time a new iPhone came out. They would do an update within a month or two to fix it. By the time you get your phone in Nov, this will be a moot point.

Last edited:
@iadbound

Hey neighbor ;)

Had a several minute call I made this afternoon running 6.0 and my iPhone 6 using BT. Worked flawlessly.

Are you running 6.0 FW? FYI--I'm just over near the Oakton/Herndon/Reston line. We'll have to meet up at some point.

iadbound - got my MS last week running 5.14 BT has work every time. Using iPhone 6+ iOS 8.0. Just a thought. You might delete your current BT pairing and then setup the phone.

I didn't have a current pairing on the car and the iPhone was already set up. However, it's great to know that it works on 5.14. This means I probably just need to experiment some more.

I'm running 6.0 on my Model S (the .15 variant) and iOS 8.0 on an iPhone 6+. BT is working fine for me for both calls and streaming audio. The only thing I've noticed is that it takes longer for the car and phone to establish a connection when I get in the car. Previously it was instantaneous.

My advisor at our local Tesla store told me that the iPhone 6 (and 5S and 5) doesn't work through the USB ports like in other cars, and that Bluetooth is the only way to play music from an iPhone, Android, or iPod. Is this really the case??

Actually that applies to all Apple devices. It's shameful that the most technologically advanced vehicle doesn't even support basic usb connectivity for Apple devices. This is a standard feature of most cars even at the entry level.

Actually that applies to all Apple devices. It's shameful that the most technologically advanced vehicle doesn't even support basic usb connectivity for Apple devices. This is a standard feature of most cars even at the entry level.

On my 2011 LEAF, I prefer to plug just lighter plug USB charger into iPhone 5 and not plug into the USB port the car provides. If I use the car USB port, then the stereo/NAV tries to play the audio files directly from USB and offers less control than if I let the phone play the audio through Bluetooth. Another things is that getting audio playback interrupted by a phone call then going back to audio playback after the call is over works better with Bluetooth for both than having the car try to switch between USB playback and Bluetooth phone calls. I haven't noticed any tangible quality difference in audio quality between those two cases.

Anyways, point is that Model S isn't the only car where the USB phone connection leaves something to be desired.

Is this only with Apple devices, or also with Android? The salesperson made it sound like both platforms wouldn't work through USB (as if the USB port is only used for charging).

On my 2011 LEAF, I prefer to plug just lighter plug USB charger into iPhone 5 and not plug into the USB port the car provides. If I use the car USB port, then the stereo/NAV tries to play the audio files directly from USB and offers less control than if I let the phone play the audio through Bluetooth. Another things is that getting audio playback interrupted by a phone call then going back to audio playback after the call is over works better with Bluetooth for both than having the car try to switch between USB playback and Bluetooth phone calls. I haven't noticed any tangible quality difference in audio quality between those two cases.

Anyways, point is that Model S isn't the only car where the USB phone connection leaves something to be desired.

Didn't realize the Leaf had such a poor interface for connected devices. My previous cars (Infiniti M56, Infiniti FX50, Chevy Volt, Toyota Rav4 EV, and Cadillac ELR) have no problem integrating my iPhone into the user interface for easy navigation. The only hiccups were that the Infinitis didn't pause music when a phone call was received, and the ELR is unable to sort the information by the ID3 sort tag (so every song/album/artist that begins with "The" are all listed together under "T").

I don't like Bluetooth with my iPhone because I have to control all the music from my device instead of via my car's infotainment system.