Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone/Apple Watch & Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only time I have this issue is when the car doesn't have signal so it won't wake up. What happens if you go into the Tesla app when it fails?
Sometimes the car is asleep, other times it’s awake. The state of the car doesn’t seem to directly relate to whether the shortcut fails. I was trying to run one of the shortcuts whilst stood next to the car just after getting out of it and it kept failing at the “awaken” action.

I've just got a MY this week and installed Tesla Watch App which looks great so far! I'm a bit paranoid at the moment about phantom drain and forgetting to turn off background mode when the car would be left at, say an airport car park for 2 weeks.

Do people tend to turn off background mode and leave it off, or toggle it on/off as needed? Appears there is both a watch and an iPhone setting for background mode from a brief play this morning!

I've just got a MY this week and installed Tesla Watch App which looks great so far! I'm a bit paranoid at the moment about phantom drain and forgetting to turn off background mode when the car would be left at, say an airport car park for 2 weeks.

Do people tend to turn off background mode and leave it off, or toggle it on/off as needed? Appears there is both a watch and an iPhone setting for background mode from a brief play this morning!
Yes, you have to turn it off (both in phone and watch) if you do not want any drain on your batteries. You can set different time interval if you want the watch app to reflect the exact percentage etc., I use one of the complication to have the Tesla battery percentage etc., on watch face. I have never turned it off fully as I have not left the car in airport etc., but that is what I am planning to do if I am away for 2 weeks - turn off background updates and allow wake in background. But otherwise they advice to set it up to 1hr interval and say it will normally keep the car in sleep while you are asleep. Unfortunately I do not wear the watch while I am in bed, so can't guarantee what it does. But you can check the hours and figure out whether it is asleep. I am yet to do that.

Yes, I find it very helpful - especially the apple watch torch (for light - to solve the charge port conundrum) and Siri commands to open the port and unlock it. Yes of course preconditioning from your watch without looking for the mobile, the best way to heat your car!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl