Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone calls get transferred to Tesla when I'm not in the car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is something that drives me nuts.

Scenario: I'm on a call on my iPhone using my AirPods in my home office. My wife gets in the MX and starts driving out of the garage. Without warning or notification, the call gets transferred to the MX. I have to then tap on the audio source icon on my iPhone and then select my AirPods to get the call back. Sometimes this works, but other times it just switches right back to the MX.

Is there a setting on the iPhone or in the MX that I can change to prevent this? This has happened on some pretty important calls and led to some embarrassing situations!

If your phone close enough to create the Bluetooth connection, and someone is sitting in the drivers seat, it will move the call.

Does she also have the MX connected via Bluetooth on her phone? You can set her phone as “priority” device and that should connect her first and not you when the MX sees both.

If your phone close enough to create the Bluetooth connection, and someone is sitting in the drivers seat, it will move the call.

Does she also have the MX connected via Bluetooth on her phone? You can set her phone as “priority” device and that should connect her first and not you when the MX sees both.
Yes, she does. I will try switching hers to priority device.

The only downside is that when we're both in the car, which is quite often, her phone will get connected rather than mine. My phone is the one with all of the music on it and I typically want it to be connected. But I guess I can just do that manually when she's in the car. It's better than this problem.

Is this a Tesla thing? Doesn't happen with our other car.

Yes, she does. I will try switching hers to priority device.

The only downside is that when we're both in the car, which is quite often, her phone will get connected rather than mine. My phone is the one with all of the music on it and I typically want it to be connected. But I guess I can just do that manually when she's in the car. It's better than this problem.

Is this a Tesla thing? Doesn't happen with our other car.
Set a driver profile for her specifically and one for yourself. Then do the priority device linked to different devices on each profile. That's what I do to deal with sharing the car.

Set a driver profile for her specifically and one for yourself. Then do the priority device linked to different devices on each profile. That's what I do to deal with sharing the car.
Thanks. I'll have to look into driver profiles.

I posted this on a Mac forum, and someone shared this advice. I'm going to try it out:

"Try Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > switch from "Automatic" to "Bluetooth Headset"

It came from this Reddit thread. I can definitely relate to what the guy who posted it went through!

• Helpful
Reactions: Harvey Danger
THANK YOU

This setting is miraculous!

And not because it solves the problem this thread is describing (although it might do that too).

IT SOLVES THE CRAPPY TESLA + BLUETOOTH + APPLE VOICE RECOGNITION PROBLEM generally!

There are other threads about this so I won't belabor the point but at least with my MX 2016, some recent iPhone/iOS change made it very hard to keep a steady high quality voice "stream" going. Either on a live call or when trying to use the phone's voice to text transcription feature (Tesla also has separate logic that tries to do this- talking about the iOS version here). And here's the kicker, getting fed up with the situation and turning off Bluetooth and just using the phone's speakerphone DIDNT FIX THINGS.

Something about having a bluetooth capable device nearby is causing the "automatic" setting referred to above to work way too hard and it trashes the intelligibility of human voice conversations REGARDLESS of which one it's using, bluetooth or speakerphone.

THIS SETTING FIXES THAT FOR ME and fills me with such joy that I want to type in all caps. Which I usually never do. Anyway thank you.

Disclaimer This is just my initial finding based on my particular situation, which may not apply to you, and even for me I'll probably want to keep testing it for a while longer of course, but if I don't come back here to update things then you can assume this really did make a difference.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
THANK YOU

This setting is miraculous!

And not because it solves the problem this thread is describing (although it might do that too).

IT SOLVES THE CRAPPY TESLA + BLUETOOTH + APPLE VOICE RECOGNITION PROBLEM generally!

There are other threads about this so I won't belabor the point but at least with my MX 2016, some recent iPhone/iOS change made it very hard to keep a steady high quality voice "stream" going. Either on a live call or when trying to use the phone's voice to text transcription feature (Tesla also has separate logic that tries to do this- talking about the iOS version here); both were affected. And here's the kicker, getting fed up with the situation and turning off Bluetooth and just using the phone's speakerphone DIDNT FIX THINGS.

Something about having a bluetooth capable device nearby is causing the "automatic" setting referred to above to work way too hard and it trashes the intelligibility of human voice conversations REGARDLESS of which one it's using, bluetooth or speakerphone.

THIS SETTING FIXES THAT FOR ME and fills me with such joy that I want to type in all caps. Which I usually never do. Anyway thank you.

Disclaimer This is just my initial finding based on my particular situation, which may not apply to you, and even for me I'll probably want to keep testing it for a while longer of course, but if I don't come back here to update things then you can assume this really did make a difference.
Glad to hear this helped!

I hope it also solves the problem I mentioned in the original post—which, according to the Reddit thread, it does. I will test it later today and report back.

Reactions: Harvey Danger