Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone case advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm due for a new phone and want to make sure that whatever case I get for my new iPhone 13 Pro Max works with the Qi charger in my new MYLR. Might those with success stories please share info about their cases? FWIW, I'd rather not give Apple $50 for a case when I could get one for a bit more than half the price that meets my needs!!

Thanks in advance!
David

I had a co-worker with a 12 Pro max and another co-worker with an IPhone 13 pro try the wireless charging pad in my car before I bought a new IPhone 13 Pro. The Pro Max doesn't charge w/ the case on, although I heard others can get it to work if they place their phone upside down on the pad. But the IPhone 13 Pro works w/out issue with the apple case so I just went with that.

Upvote 0
I had a co-worker with a 12 Pro max and another co-worker with an IPhone 13 pro try the wireless charging pad in my car before I bought a new IPhone 13 Pro. The Pro Max doesn't charge w/ the case on, although I heard others can get it to work if they place their phone upside down on the pad. But the IPhone 13 Pro works w/out issue with the apple case so I just went with that.
Which case was it that didn't work?

Upvote 0
Spigen, that's almost always the answer for iPhone cases :)

Just get something like a Liquid Crystal (all TPU) or a Hybrid (TPU sides with an acrylic type rear), they're plenty thin enough for the charger to work, while still providing outstanding protection (their corner bumper design is terrific).

Pretty minimal, a lip to prevent the display and cameras from touch a [flat] surface, work with screen protectors, a several colors, excellent Spigen quality and customer service, and under $15 at Amazon :)

1633723851749.png

Reactions: drschwartz
Upvote 0

Just get something like a Liquid Crystal (all TPU) or a Hybrid (TPU sides with an acrylic type rear), they're plenty thin enough for the charger to work, while still providing outstanding protection (their corner bumper design is terrific).

Pretty minimal, a lip to prevent the display and cameras from touch a [flat] surface, work with screen protectors, a several colors, excellent Spigen quality and customer service, and under $15 at Amazon :)

View attachment 719310
Got this case and it works like a champ!

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Upvote 0

View attachment 719310
Interesting. I am on my second silicon spigen case and neither seem to work.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I am on my second silicon spigen case and neither seem to work.

Seems a bit weird, maybe a slight difference in fabrication tolerances in your charging "mat". Which specific case and phone?

Pardon the dumb question, but I'm assuming you've tested without a case and it works consistently? Like it's not just a position thing that's maybe compounded by the case[?]

Upvote 0
I have a Model Y, and my old iPhone 8 Plus in an Otterbox Commuter case worked fine on the charging shelf. I traded it in for an iPhone 13 Pro Max in an Otterbox Defender case. The new phone does not contact the charging surface and will not charge. It is a very tight fit top and bottom. My wife got an iPhone 13 Pro (smaller), also in a case, and that fits fine.

Perhaps if I had gotten an Otterbox Commuter case it would have worked. I don't know.

Upvote 0
Perhaps if I had gotten an Otterbox Commuter case it would have worked. I don't know.
I contacted Otterbox support before purchasing a case. Otterbox support advised me that the Otterbox Commuter case would work with most wireless chargers but the Otterbox Defender was too thick, would not work reliably when wireless charging. The Otterbox Defender case was my previous go to case but I now use the Otterbox Commuter. I can't speak to the fit of the iPhone 13 Pro Max but the Otterbox Commuter Case has worked well with my iPhone SE II in my 2020 Model Y's charging tray and with my two home wireless charging pads.

The Otterbox Commuter case has saved my phone several times when I accidentally dropped the phone. The exterior shell of the Otterbox is hard plastic and not grippy like the soft rubber cover on the Otterbox Defender case. I prefer the non-slip exterior cover of the Defender case over the hard shell of the Commuter case.

Upvote 0