Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Charging using Rear USB-C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a USB-C to USB-A adapter from Amazon but it won't work charging our iPhones although it worked when plugged into a PC. Aside from the official iPhone USB-C to lightning cables, has anyone have any success with adapters or 3rd party USB-C to Lightning cables?

I have those exact adapters in my MY and it works fine charging iPhones in the back. I'm using Apple Lighting cables. Have you tried another cable? if so, maybe the rear USB-C ports are not working your car?

Reactions: rvnc
I have those exact adapters in my MY and it works fine charging iPhones in the back. I'm using Apple Lighting cables. Have you tried another cable? if so, maybe the rear USB-C ports are not working your car?
The rear USB-C Ports are working as it worked with my son's Galaxy S20. I have tried 3 cables and I am sure at least one of them is an Apple lightning cable. I have a mobile service appointment coming this Friday so I will ask the technician to take a look at it. Thanks for replying.

Yes, Anker sells great quality USB C to lightning cables.
Thanks for the reply. I have a mobile service appointment coming this Friday and I will ask the technician to take a look at it first before making another purchase. I hope he would not mind looking at it even when it wasn't in my original list of issues.

Reactions: rxlawdude and rvnc
I wanted to like all of the posts above (except mine, of course), however, I guess being new to the forum, I don't have those options yet. I've read the posts on How do I like / dislike a post? that the options appear when the mouse hovers over the "+QUOTE REPLY" links. Once I get that option I will return to this thread and do so. The Anker USB-C to Lightning cable will be delivered tomorrow and I will post the result here. Thank you all for your responses/help.

I just got my MY back from a Service Appointment, and had told them that the USB-C ports were not working. I had tried to plug in two different kinds of iPads and my iPhone 11, and none of them would charge.

When I mentioned to the Service Advisors that the ports still weren't working (I checked before driving away) she went to go talk to a tech. She came back and said that these ports are not "compatible" with iPhone, but works properly for Android devices. The technician likely tried their personal phone and saw it working for them.

So, I don't know what the actual issue is, but I wanted my car back and decided to let it slide. I'd be happy to buy a different cable if I thought that would fix the issue, but the cable I have works perfectly well when I plug it into the front USB-C port.

I just got my MY back from a Service Appointment, and had told them that the USB-C ports were not working. I had tried to plug in two different kinds of iPads and my iPhone 11, and none of them would charge.

When I mentioned to the Service Advisors that the ports still weren't working (I checked before driving away) she went to go talk to a tech. She came back and said that these ports are not "compatible" with iPhone, but works properly for Android devices. The technician likely tried their personal phone and saw it working for them.

So, I don't know what the actual issue is, but I wanted my car back and decided to let it slide. I'd be happy to buy a different cable if I thought that would fix the issue, but the cable I have works perfectly well when I plug it into the front USB-C port.
Try the original Apple USB-C to Lightning cable if you haven't yet.