Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Cradle for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the chances the console offers the option of an iPhone cradle like the one offered for the BMW? The cradle holds the iPhone, integrates it into the infotainment AND boosts antenna reception by sharing the car's antenna.

They already have an iOS app, it would make sense, then, that there would be a unique and useful way to plug it into the car while driving, right?

There is no center console but we have suggested for them to make "accessory console" that can be added later. There would be plugs for 12V and phone connections and options of storage cooler cup heater pencil holder. I recently heard there are working on those now.

I would love this. To be able to hop in the car and just set your iPhone down into the cradle and get access to your songs would be great and not have to stream the music over bluetooth if you didn't want to.

I doubt it because apple is rumored to shrink the connector for iPhone 5. Even if they do not shrink it this time, they can change it at any time. Surely over a 5-7 year period of time (the time many would expect to own the vehicle, it could change several times. I would love it, but I highly doubt it's in the cards.

Whatever they do they should make it modular. Have a cradle space with their own connector. If Apple changes their connector or the size of the phone, you simply buy another drop in dock from Tesla. Good way for them to make $100 off of basically a piece of plastic too each time a new phone comes out.

How about just a bluetooth remote sim mode. Where I virtually transfer my sim card to the car, and the car's mobile hardware does all the work. Saves my data plan problem.

Well, the idea of the cradle is to have a place to physically put the the iPhone while driving, while simultaneously gaining an advantage like the car's antenna. Not to mention, a physical connection offers you things like Album Art when playing music, which is not obtainable over a bluetooth connection.

I doubt it because apple is rumored to shrink the connector for iPhone 5. Even if they do not shrink it this time, they can change it at any time. Surely over a 5-7 year period of time (the time many would expect to own the vehicle, it could change several times. I would love it, but I highly doubt it's in the cards.

I change phones about once a year and definitively vote for a modular solution.