Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IPhone integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone is connected by BT. I have a standard audio system. When I chose iPhone from the drop down list of sources, the screen only shows the song playing now (in the Music app on the phone). I don't see any way to bring up playlists, albums, artists, etc. I thought that such functionality is available on the Model S. What am I doing wrong?

also, I can barely hear any music on max volume

thanks.

you asked a few questions. First, the iPhone is a "dumb" device while connected to the MS Sound system. Its really no different that any mp4 device - just allowing basic commands and album art (but sometimes pulls the art from a different source than your phone has). Second regarding the sound...thats your iPhone config. Check two things - first, your sound volume while connected to a device - it can sometimes be low and you didn't realize. Second, check for other apps open like Facebook or Instagram in the background. If they are running it will often partially mute your phones sound output. To check if they are on, double click the home button on your iPhone; every app that is open shows as a tile in the tile view. You should probably close all of them (except for your music app of course).

That should do it!

My phone is connected by BT. I have a standard audio system. When I chose iPhone from the drop down list of sources, the screen only shows the song playing now (in the Music app on the phone). I don't see any way to bring up playlists, albums, artists, etc. I thought that such functionality is available on the Model S. What am I doing wrong?

also, I can barely hear any music on max volume

thanks.

(Unfortunately) most control of music via Bluetooth sources such as your iPhone must be done at the source. MS has no "Apple-Specific" or "iPod" connectivity that allows it to access playlists, etc. like found in many over vehicles these days via hardwired connection, and what you are describing is normal for both the standard and optional audio system.

On volume, try turning up the volume on your iPhone itself first, then ensure on your phone in Music settings, you don't have EQ or Sound Limits ON. I've not tried the former in my MS, but on most other cars I've owned, increasing the volume at the source first is necessary because the Bluetooth audio then gets ramped up or down from there with the car's amplification and volume level. Good luck!

Thank you for the answers so far. Wow, this is extremely disappointing. I don't think I've had a car in the last 5 years in our household that did not have a comprehensive apple integration. A follow up question: am I correct in assuming that connecting the phone by a cable would not make a difference? Thanks.

Thank you for the answers so far. Wow, this is extremely disappointing. I don't think I've had a car in the last 5 years in our household that did not have a comprehensive apple integration. A follow up question: am I correct in assuming that connecting the phone by a cable would not make a difference? Thanks.
Connecting by cable will charge your phone. That's it.

Indeed it is disappointing we don't have any type of smartphone integration (Apple or otherwise). It's been a widely-requested feature since the car launched, and many of us bemoan the fact that the Media Player app has seen little to no improvement since 2012 (as of 7.0 it can finally go full-screen. Yay?).

Connecting by cable will charge your phone. That's it.

Indeed it is disappointing we don't have any type of smartphone integration (Apple or otherwise). It's been a widely-requested feature since the car launched, and many of us bemoan the fact that the Media Player app has seen little to no improvement since 2012 (as of 7.0 it can finally go full-screen. Yay?).

This (media & smartphone integration) definitely seems the weakest part of the Tesla comfort experience right now.

Close second (but more minor) is the inability to pair seating profiles to key use.