Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Iphone issues [issues with phone as key]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post.
I had to change my Apple ID after I had a security issue. I can still access the Tesla ID on my phone but I cannot connect via Bluetooth.
I tried turning off my phone, rebooting, etc.
I cannot connect the Bluetooth. Once to twice the car has made me use the card key rather than my iPhone.
It seems that I need to somehow delete the iPhone and then re-enter into the car software, but I'm only guessing and have no
idea how to do that. BTW - the nearest Tesla shop is 3 hours away, so I can't just drive over and ask them.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

First post.
I had to change my Apple ID after I had a security issue. I can still access the Tesla ID on my phone but I cannot connect via Bluetooth.
I tried turning off my phone, rebooting, etc.
I cannot connect the Bluetooth. Once to twice the car has made me use the card key rather than my iPhone.
It seems that I need to somehow delete the iPhone and then re-enter into the car software, but I'm only guessing and have no
idea how to do that. BTW - the nearest Tesla shop is 3 hours away, so I can't just drive over and ask them.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Remove the phone key and re pair it. Here are the instructions in the online model 3 manual

(text below copy / pasted from the manual above)

Managing Keys​

To display a list of all keys (phone keys, key cards, and key fobs) that can access your Model 3, touch Controls > Locks. An icon displays next to each key to indicate whether the key is a phone key, key card, or key fob. Use this list to manage keys that have access to your Model 3. To add or delete keys, see Adding and Removing Keys.
Model 3 supports up to 19 keys. When you reach this limit, you must delete a key before adding a new one.
Note
You can use the same key for more than one Model 3. This prevents you from having to deal with multiple keys when you switch vehicles. If you customize the name of an authenticated key card or key fob on one Model 3 (by touching the pencil icon), any other Model 3 to which the key card or key fob is authenticated also displays the changed name.

Adding and Removing Keys​

To add a new key card or key fob:
Note
When adding a key fob, ensure it is at room temperature. Pairing a key fob that is very cold can be unsuccessful.
  1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks then touch + in the Keys section.
  2. Scan your new key card or key fob on the card reader located behind the cup holders on the top of the center console. After the new key card or key fob is recognized, remove it from the card reader.Key card scanned on card reader
  3. Scan a key card or key fob that has already been paired to the vehicle to confirm new key pairing.
  4. When complete, the key list includes the new key. Touch the associated pencil icon to customize the name of the key.
To add a new phone key:
Note
You must enable Bluetooth on the phone and have the Tesla mobile app installed and connected to your Tesla account.
  1. While sitting in Model 3, open the Tesla mobile app (if you have multiple Tesla vehicles, select the appropriate vehicle), then touch Phone Key > Start.
  2. Scan an authenticated key card or key fob on the card reader located behind the cup holders on the top of the center console (see Key Card).
  3. When the mobile app notifies you that pairing was successful, touch Done. The key list on the touchscreen (touch Controls > Locks) includes the newly authenticated phone key. The name of the phone key is determined by the name used in the phone’s settings.
Removing a key:
When you no longer want a key to access Model 3 (for example, you lost your phone or key card, etc.), follow these steps to remove it.
  1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks.
  2. In the key list, find the key that you would like to delete and touch its associated trash icon.
  3. When prompted, scan an authenticated key card or key fob on the card reader to confirm the deletion. When complete, the key list no longer includes the deleted key.
Note
Model 3 requires at least one authenticated key card or key fob at all times. If only one key card remains on the key list, you cannot delete it.

Reactions: Babylove23
I shipped mine across an ocean, so was away from it for a month. When it finally got back to me, my wife's Galaxy S20 still worked on it fine, my iPhone 7 still worked fine, but the iPhone 13 Pro phone key would not work at all. Reboots, BT toggling, all the things. I finally just had to set it up new. Even now, I will occasionally need to unlock the phone before the key will engage (if all I have on me is the 13). If I happen to have the 7 in my pocket too, no issue usually.

Also, check the iOS settings for the Tesla app and make sure Bluetooth is enabled there. There are other settings there you should check too, here’s what mine look like:

6EE43C4B-A4C2-4EDA-A107-71557A784C10.jpeg

I shipped mine across an ocean, so was away from it for a month. When it finally got back to me, my wife's Galaxy S20 still worked on it fine, my iPhone 7 still worked fine, but the iPhone 13 Pro phone key would not work at all. Reboots, BT toggling, all the things. I finally just had to set it up new. Even now, I will occasionally need to unlock the phone before the key will engage (if all I have on me is the 13). If I happen to have the 7 in my pocket too, no issue usually.
Interesting. I've used a X, a 12Max and now a 13Pro and no issues, ever. Not once, in 3.5yrs.

Thank you for the replies. I removed my iPhone key and then set up again. The car starts fine without the card key, but I still can't Bluetooth my iphone to the car to play music or podcasts. The bluetooth sees the key, but not my phone. Someone else posted they thought it had to do with their Apple Watch, which I have also, so I'm not sure if that could be the problem. Mildly irritating, because I have a pretty long commute and I like to listen to Podcasts.

Thank you for the replies. I removed my iPhone key and then set up again. The car starts fine without the card key, but I still can't Bluetooth my iphone to the car to play music or podcasts. The bluetooth sees the key, but not my phone. Someone else posted they thought it had to do with their Apple Watch, which I have also, so I'm not sure if that could be the problem. Mildly irritating, because I have a pretty long commute and I like to listen to Podcasts.

Glad you got the key working!

The phone as key BT pairing is completely separate from phone for media/call/text BT pairing. The first is handled in the key section (Controls > Locks) while the second is handled in the Bluetooth section (Controls >
1651441696009.png
> add new device); on some (iPhone) devices, you need to have your phone's BT screen open (discoverable) since, when you press the start search option, that'll facilitate the handshake. At least, that's what the manual says in the section about phone and calendar.

My wife and I both have the same model of iPhone. Mine has no problem whatever when using it as the car key for our less than 1 year old Model 3. On the other hand, my wife‘s iPhone keep losing its ability to act as a phone key :-(.
I keep deleting her phone from the lock menu and resets list it anew. That will typically work for a few days and then “nada”. Totally drive me (her tech support person) up the wall! Any help real appreciated.