Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone keeps disconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's iPhone (but not mine or my son's) keeps disconnecting from the car as she's driving. This started happening a few weeks ago, and has persisted across several phone reboots, and re-pairings. It connects fine at first, and then suddenly it stops playing music and the display shows "no device connected"(?).

Anyone seen this?

Same issue, the phone disconnecting as the key is completely random. Might work fine one day and the next, she can drive to the store, come out and the phone won't connect. We just moved from Pixel to iPhone 12 and she is very frustrated. I have removed the app and disconnected/deleted everything and started over several times. I also restarted the Tesla, but nothing has fixed the instability.

The “priority device” feature was working great with my M3 & iPhone 12 until I updated to 2021.12.25.7 two weeks ago. Now every time a door is opened/closed, the priority device gets disconnected and I have to manually reconnect. Bluetooth is enabled for Tesla under privacy settings, I rebooted car & rebooted iphone, but problem persists.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I’m having the same issue. My iphone (priority) and my wife’s iphone are disconnecting from our model 3 (less than a week old). Neither of us can use any of the functionality. Could the problem be that the car is parked in an underground garage with poor internet connection? I’m hoping that’s all it is or my wife won’t be able to drive home from work today!

Our year old Model Y was requiring the key card to drive while we were on a recent roadtrip. The phone App would let me get in the car and even allowed me to reboot the car; but it would not allow me to drive. This was the case for both my phone and my wife's phone. Under Security of the IOS Tesla App, Security was indicating, "iPhone - Disconnected". We called Tesla and they could not connect to the car either. We had a strong LTE signal and could call and wait for Tesla support. I tried rebooting the phone, toggling bluetooth. The problem only got worse. We tried exiting the car and restarting...it then locked us out completely. Our key card was back at the hotel and someone had to drive it to us. Any ideas how to fix?

I had a similar problem for the past 6 months or so. My iPhone would only connect on its own about 30% of the time, I would have to manually connect it and would also disconnect randomly. I deleted the iPhone key and reloaded it, deleted the app and reinstalled it all without success. My wife for some reason would have no problem at all with her iPhone. Then I was noticing that the car wasn’t turning off when I got out and closed the door, I had to reopen the door and close it for the car to turn off. I was suspicious of the driver seat sensor, took it into the Tesla shop and sure enough the driver seat sensor was not working, they replaced it for free and now everything works perfectly and my iPhone connects instantly every time like it should.

I was able to get a hold of Tesla support. We updated the iPhone App version to 4.1.1. The problem is now fixed! For anyone else with this issue; you just need to delete the Tesla App on your phone and download latest version from the App Store. You will then need to log into your Tesla account and repair your phone with the care. That will require your card key. Problem fixed!

I am so tired of dealing with the instability of Bluetooth disconnection issues, when you spend this amount for a vehicle you should not have to deal with such issues! I believe this happened after Tesla's last update; Tesla should ensure that iPhone is compatible with an update before releasing it to the public. My friends and family are so tired of hearing these types of issues that they decided not to purchase a Tesla. Hopefully Tesla resolves this quickly.

Reactions: AquaY and Blackbart
I was able to get a hold of Tesla support. We updated the iPhone App version to 4.1.1. The problem is now fixed! For anyone else with this issue; you just need to delete the Tesla App on your phone and download latest version from the App Store. You will then need to log into your Tesla account and repair your phone with the care. That will require your card key. Problem fixed!
No this does not correct the problem. An update from Tesla needs to correct this issue.

Reactions: AquaY
I am so tired of dealing with the instability of Bluetooth disconnection issues, when you spend this amount for a vehicle you should not have to deal with such issues! I believe this happened after Tesla's last update; Tesla should ensure that iPhone is compatible with an update before releasing it to the public. My friends and family are so tired of hearing these types of issues that they decided not to purchase a Tesla. Hopefully Tesla resolves this quickly.
I figured out the problem after reading another website, here is the issue...........................there needs to be two connections to your cellphone (1) for Bluetooth for the functions such are music, streaming, etc. and this will show up on your cellphone as Tesla and the model. (2) is under "Locks" and this is for your key card access features, this connection will show numbers and letters under your cellphones Network - Bluetooth. You need to have the (2) connection in order to resolve the key card issue. So I suggest that you remove old Bluetooth connections from both your cell and vehicle, remove Tesla app, then reload the most current Tesla app and then add your cell as a new key card from the "Locks" menu. Then select the Bluetooth icon on car and add your cellphone.
Hope this helps everyone understand the issue better and how to fix it.

HERE IS THE FIX..............
I figured out the problem after reading another website, here is the issue...........................there needs to be two connections to your cellphone (1) for Bluetooth for the functions such are music, streaming, etc. and this will show up on your cellphone as Tesla and the model. (2) is under "Locks" and this is for your key card access features, this connection will show numbers and letters under your cellphones Network - Bluetooth. You need to have the (2) connection in order to resolve the key card issue. So I suggest that you remove old Bluetooth connections from both your cell and vehicle, remove Tesla app, then reload the most current Tesla app and then add your cell as a new key card from the "Locks" menu. Then select the Bluetooth icon on car and add your cellphone.
Hope this helps everyone understand the issue better and how to fix it.

Since a few weeks, my Tesla app keeps disconnecting from the car. This is quite annoying atm as I can’t switch on remotely the climatisation for cooling the habitacle. And the automatic clima protection doesnt turn on so I get up to 55 celsius in the car.
i did everything to try to fix it, from rebooting the car, switching off and on Bluetooth to deleting the app and making a fresh installation, unfortunately, nothing helps.
i never had that problem before.
The only way to wake up the application is to get close to the car and open it. Then the app awakes but get idle again after a few hours.
Any clues how to fix it? Or might it be an app update problem?

My wife's iPhone (but not mine or my son's) keeps disconnecting from the car as she's driving. This started happening a few weeks ago, and has persisted across several phone reboots, and re-pairings. It connects fine at first, and then suddenly it stops playing music and the display shows "no device connected"(?).

Anyone seen this?
I have definitely seen this over the past few weeks in a car with 20,000 miles and the same phone. Even re pairing is a spotty proposition. I assume it has something to do with a recent update to the car. If it goes on for another week I will schedule a service appointment. The “phone as key” works fine. It’s calls and data that suddenly won’t work.

Agreed on all points.

Since a few weeks, my Tesla app keeps disconnecting from the car. This is quite annoying atm as I can’t switch on remotely the climatisation for cooling the habitacle. And the automatic clima protection doesnt turn on so I get up to 55 celsius in the car.
i did everything to try to fix it, from rebooting the car, switching off and on Bluetooth to deleting the app and making a fresh installation, unfortunately, nothing helps.
i never had that problem before.
The only way to wake up the application is to get close to the car and open it. Then the app awakes but get idle again after a few hours.
Any clues how to fix it? Or might it be an app update problem?
I will answer myself and it may help others.
so, I decided to make a service appointment, it was scheduled for tomorrow. Yesterday the service center sent me a mail saying their IT guys might resolve the problem remotely. I granted them access via mail and this morning they worked on the car for about 20 min. And fixed the problem. Connexion issues are now gone.
hope It can help.

Anyone seen this?
In settings find the list of apps, then select Tesla app. Then for ‘location’ options, select ‘always’. That fixed it for me!