Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone key issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After trying even a factory re-set on my iPhone SE 2020 I found the same problems continuing so booked at session at the Apple Store to look into it. My phone is out of warranty so I fully expected to get short shrift and to be sold a new phone. To be fair to them, they did seem to take it seriously and never mentioned 'upgrading' as a solution.

The 'genius' I met did point out that even the factory re-set may not have done the job anyway, as I had selected to 'restore data from back-up' which in his words could have re-imported the problem. His suggestion was to do the re-set again without importing backed-up data, so I went with that. Guess what - still not working reliably.

He did also acknowledge that there are 'known problems' with BT following recent updates and looking into it further myself it seems we are not alone with this issue. The expectation was that after OS 14.x problems updates would cure it, but I am now on 15.3 with no sign of a fix. In the wider context, I also get occasional messages from my Apple watch to tell me I've left my phone behind despite it being in my left pocket about 6 inches from my watch and my Apple BT earphones also loose connection from time to time.

As I mentioned previously, my wife's phone (SE 2020 OS 14.8.1) still works faultlessly so she won't be updating the OS on hers anytime soon.

TL/DR - needs a further update from Apple to fix 'known' BT problems. OS 15.3 doesn't cover it.

Solution - I've bought a key fob (cheaper than a new phone).
I read where I and several others have had to purchase a key fob for reliability. I think Tesla should provide one fob to every new purchaser and refund the money to any single purchaser.

I read where I and several others have had to purchase a key fob for reliability. I think Tesla should provide one fob to every new purchaser and refund the money to any single purchaser.
As the proud owner of a new key fob, I agree completely.

In the way of an update, I have also bitten the bullet and bought a new phone - IPhone 13. Well, surprise, surprise; it is just as unreliable and exhibits exactly the same failings. Also loses connection to my Apple Watch and Apple earphones from time to time as well. Looks like IOS 15.3.1 is the common theme here.

Of course my wife’s iPhone SE still works perfectly as a key, never misses a beat, at least while it remains on IOS 14.xx.

I have found the Tesla keyless access a real pain. I have the same issue with Bluetooth not reliably 'seeing' me. It works best when i take my phone (android) out of my jeans pocket. Its disappointing that this simple system is so bad with Tesla. I also purchased the key fob and that was even worse. I ended up returning it. Tesla even did a service call out for the issue. They ran a diagnostic on the car and it all seemed fine. I thing this is more of an issue with the strength of signal / communication in the car rather than specific issues with a users phone.

I have found the Tesla keyless access a real pain. I have the same issue with Bluetooth not reliably 'seeing' me. It works best when i take my phone (android) out of my jeans pocket. Its disappointing that this simple system is so bad with Tesla. I also purchased the key fob and that was even worse. I ended up returning it. Tesla even did a service call out for the issue. They ran a diagnostic on the car and it all seemed fine. I thing this is more of an issue with the strength of signal / communication in the car rather than specific issues with a users phone.

I thing this is more of an issue with the strength of signal / communication in the car rather than specific issues with a users phone.
I think it is a combination of both.

The car does seem to have very poor BT and Wi-Fi antenna but I think there are definitely problems with the later IOS software versions too.

I’ve had no problems at all with the key fob and to be fair the key fobs I had with my previous MS also worked perfectly from within the depths of my pockets.

What's weird to me is there are 3 modes:

1. No connection, locked out.

2. Allows me to open car, but does not set my profile (seat position).

2. works correctly (unlocks car and sets profile).

#2 is by far the most common mode, like 50%, and the other 2 are IDK, 25% each.

Whether wife's phone is in range or not makes no difference. Seems to go in waves, where it works for a little while, fails for a long while, no obvious reason.

(ok, there's a 4th mode, where it lets me in the car, but I can't start it, need to use the card key, or start with the app, quite rare.)

After trying even a factory re-set on my iPhone SE 2020 I found the same problems continuing so booked at session at the Apple Store to look into it. My phone is out of warranty so I fully expected to get short shrift and to be sold a new phone. To be fair to them, they did seem to take it seriously and never mentioned 'upgrading' as a solution.

The 'genius' I met did point out that even the factory re-set may not have done the job anyway, as I had selected to 'restore data from back-up' which in his words could have re-imported the problem. His suggestion was to do the re-set again without importing backed-up data, so I went with that. Guess what - still not working reliably.

He did also acknowledge that there are 'known problems' with BT following recent updates and looking into it further myself it seems we are not alone with this issue. The expectation was that after OS 14.x problems updates would cure it, but I am now on 15.3 with no sign of a fix. In the wider context, I also get occasional messages from my Apple watch to tell me I've left my phone behind despite it being in my left pocket about 6 inches from my watch and my Apple BT earphones also loose connection from time to time.

As I mentioned previously, my wife's phone (SE 2020 OS 14.8.1) still works faultlessly so she won't be updating the OS on hers anytime soon.

TL/DR - needs a further update from Apple to fix 'known' BT problems. OS 15.3 doesn't cover it.

Solution - I've bought a key fob (cheaper than a new phone).
Everything you have said, I’ve been through. I started having the same problem in December with my then-iphone 12 Pro and my 2021 Y. My husband’s (iPhone SE)and son’s(13 Pro) phones both connect right away. Had Tesla out to check the car and that was inconclusive. I took my phone to Apple and they recommended wiping it to factory settings. I did and only loaded the Tesla app to test. Still didn’t work so I wasn’t downloading any corruption from the Cloud. By this time, I was convinced it was my phone, so I upgraded to the 13 Pro and went through the process again. Same thing. Another blog mentioned the BLE (the long alph/numeric ID under Bluetooth connection) staying on all the time and my car only shows up after I toggle the Bluetooth on my phone. I’m throwing my hands in the air every time I have to toggle the Bluetooth and it’s really a pain when my hands are full.

Yesterday, I couldn't use my iPhone as a phone key. I updated iOS on my phone to 15.4 just now, walked out to my car and it works again. Hopefully, it is really fixed and not some sort of fluke. Now I just need to resolve the problem with the door popping slightly open when I walk by it in the garage and it not being able to close itself all the way if I don't get in.

Yesterday, I couldn't use my iPhone as a phone key. I updated iOS on my phone to 15.4 just now, walked out to my car and it works again. Hopefully, it is really fixed and not some sort of fluke. Now I just need to resolve the problem with the door popping slightly open when I walk by it in the garage and it not being able to close itself all the way if I don't get in.
My phone seems to working properly again now as well, following 15.4 too. Wider bluetooth connection problems with Apple watch and earbuds also seems resolved.