Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone "Max Volume bug" and fixes yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
This morning I got blasted again with the speakers on max volume. Not only that, but I saved myself several times as I get a feeling when the phone/car swaps the volume to MAX.

I've seen this on many threads, and people say that its a Tesla bug, but its been months with no fix. I think that it is a bug on the iPhone because it happens especially when I lock the phone while music is paused.

Also, just found this on a non-Tesla article: "On your device, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and see if Attention Aware Features is enabled or now. If it is enabled, turn it off to see if your issue is fixed."

Reactions: MYoohMY
This morning I got blasted again with the speakers on max volume. Not only that, but I saved myself several times as I get a feeling when the phone/car swaps the volume to MAX.

I've seen this on many threads, and people say that its a Tesla bug, but its been months with no fix. I think that it is a bug on the iPhone because it happens especially when I lock the phone while music is paused.

Also, just found this on a non-Tesla article: "On your device, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and see if Attention Aware Features is enabled or now. If it is enabled, turn it off to see if your issue is fixed."

I'm also experiencing this issue on my new Model Y... picked up on Dec 26 2020

Has anyone had any luck with this? Nit sure my heart can take more volume at Max scares.

It is an iPhone "feature" called "Attention Aware Features".

Reactions: MYoohMY

I have a theory supported by your observation about locking the phone. I have a M3 and my wife has a MY. We also both have iPhones. We both experience this volume problem. Here is the theory:
- The iPhone has a volume setting for music and a separate volume setting for the system sounds, like the lock sound.
- - The indication that there are separate settings is at “Settings > Sound & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts > Change with Buttons”
- When your phone is paired with an external Bluetooth device, like the car, it shares volume settings with the device.
- - By share I mean the device can be used to turn the volume up and down. And turning the volume up and down on the phone changes the volume on the device.
- Theory: If your ringer volume is much higher than your music volume, sudden jumps in volume will occur in the car.
How it works: The lock sound is “ringer” volume so you lock your phone, the phone makes the lock sound and volume loud in the car. Now your music is blasting because the car sends the now louder volume setting back to your phone which has gone back to the music volume setting being active.

This theory holds true for me. I keep my ringer volume low, at the risk of missing calls and alerts.

6706C43E-50D7-4AF9-83C8-CAF0D94FE773.jpeg

Set your ringer volume independent of the volume buttons on the phone. Do this by setting “Change with Buttons” off, as above, and then use the slider to set your ringer volume lower. This has helped me keep from killing my ears in my car.

Last edited:
I have a theory supported by your observation about locking the phone. I have a M3 and my wife has a MY. We also both have iPhones. We both experience this volume problem. Here is the theory:
- The iPhone has a volume setting for music and a separate volume setting for the system sounds, like the lock sound.
- - The indication that there are separate settings is at “Settings > Sound & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts > Change with Buttons”
- When your phone is paired with an external Bluetooth device, like the car, it shares volume settings with the device.
- - By share I mean the device can be used to turn the volume up and down. And turning the volume up and down on the phone changes the volume on the device.
- Theory: If your ringer volume is much higher than your music volume, sudden jumps in volume will occur in the car.
How it works: The lock sound is “ringer” volume so you lock your phone, the phone makes the lock sound and volume loud in the car. Now your music is blasting because the car sends the now louder volume setting back to your phone which has gone back to the music volume setting being active.

This theory holds true for me. I keep my ringer volume low, at the risk of missing calls and alerts.

View attachment 654759

Set your ringer volume independent of the volume buttons on the phone. Do this by setting “Change with Buttons” off, as above, and then use the slider to set your ringer volume lower. This has helped me keep from killing my ears in my car.
Dude! Brilliant. Thank you.

Reactions: adayley

View attachment 654759

This seems to be the best solution I have seen so far, and it makes sense. Now I actually make it “change with button” such that I can turn it up when I leave the car.
Thanks for your post!

I have the same problem and I just set my iPhone as @adayley suggested. Still have to see if it works - I wonder if it also works the other way around, i.e. now that I have the ringer volume turned way down, will it turn my audio volume down when I get a notification while music is playing?

I had this happen to me so many times... I get in the car, put the phone on the charging pad and it makes such a loud chime sound when the charging kicks in that I almost jumped off my seat a few times.

Change your "Ringer and Alerts" volume is not a solution to this problem. If you change that volume, you are lowering your ringer all the time. Since most of the time I am not driving a Tesla, it makes no sense for me to choose a volume level for when I'm in my car. I just got my M3 last week, but I may end up exercising the lemon law if Tesla can't address this simple bug that doesn't affect any other brand of car.

Change your "Ringer and Alerts" volume is not a solution to this problem. If you change that volume, you are lowering your ringer all the time. Since most of the time I am not driving a Tesla, it makes no sense for me to choose a volume level for when I'm in my car. I just got my M3 last week, but I may end up exercising the lemon law if Tesla can't address this simple bug that doesn't affect any other brand of car.
I agree that changing the volume setting on the phone, making the phone less useful, is not a solution. It is a work-around for a failing in the car.

I may have found something that works (at least with the current firmware). Set the Device Type to Speaker (and disconnect and reconnect if you were connected to your car at the time). Your iPhone will only send normal audio (music, etc.), but not alerts, lock noises, charging chime, etc. If someone calls you, the car still plays its own incoming call sound.

IMG_8AA739380A14-1.jpeg

I may have found something that works (at least with the current firmware). Set the Device Type to Speaker (and disconnect and reconnect if you were connected to your car at the time). Your iPhone will only send normal audio (music, etc.), but not alerts, lock noises, charging chime, etc. If someone calls you, the car still plays its own incoming call sound.

View attachment 773627
This is a good find with possibility! I’ll try it.

View attachment 773627

Looking at the device type choices, one is “Car Stereo.” Any thoughts on why one would choose Speaker instead of Car Stereo?

I’m going to try Car Stereo.

Looking at the device type choices, one is “Car Stereo.” Any thoughts on why one would choose Speaker instead of Car Stereo?

I’m going to try Car Stereo.

With the speaker setting:
Your iPhone will only send normal audio (music, etc.), but not alerts, lock noises, charging chime, etc
It's the "but not" part that makes it different. Those other sounds, if they occur when no other audio is being played, will cause the car to randomly switch to the "Ringer and Alerts" volume level.