Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Mini Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an iPhone Mini and the second generation center console? Does the phone charge in the console as is or do you need to prop it up a little for it to charge correctly? I have read that it does not charge without moving it up a little on the charging pad, but that may just be for the first generation console. Thanks for your input.

I have an IPhone 8 (5.5 x 2.7 x 0.29 inches) which is a tiny bit larger than the Iphone 13/12 mini (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 inches) and the wireless charging on the 2nd generation center console is pretty unreliable but cuz the pad is too big for the phone. My phone will charge if I lay it centered and let it rest at the bottom of the pad except that the phone will slide around enough that it's pretty common for it to stop charging while driving.

I have an IPhone 8 (5.5 x 2.7 x 0.29 inches) which is a tiny bit larger than the Iphone 13/12 mini (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 inches) and the wireless charging on the 2nd generation center console is pretty unreliable but cuz the pad is too big for the phone. My phone will charge if I lay it centered and let it rest at the bottom of the pad except that the phone will slide around enough that it's pretty common for it to stop charging while driving.
Thanks. Have you tried turning the phone upside down? I heard that might work.

One trick is to put it on diagonally and then when it activates charging adjust to normal positioning. Once charging has been activated, it will allow for greater tolerances. I haven’t tested this personally.

Anyone have an iPhone Mini and the second generation center console? Does the phone charge in the console as is or do you need to prop it up a little for it to charge correctly? I have read that it does not charge without moving it up a little on the charging pad, but that may just be for the first generation console. Thanks for your input.
iPhone mini does not charge on model Y. The charging contacts do not line up, the phone sits too low. I’ve tried flipping the phone upside down and still doesn’t work. There’s a store on Etsy that sells a small adapter that has great reviews, I just ordered one for myself.

Attachments

• 646A510A-56EC-4A03-A067-AAA3173F3AF7.png
    646A510A-56EC-4A03-A067-AAA3173F3AF7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 288
Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried using the pen trick to prop my iPhone 12 mini on the wireless charger, and it works. However, the lack of ventilation around that area & the nice plush resting position causes it to overheat. With the phone turned off and no case, I soon get a notification saying it can't charge until it cools down. On warmer days, I get the attached message that the phone can't even turn on & be used. I therefore use a Magsafe charging stand attached to the screen.

Hot iPhone.jpg