Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Music Auto Playing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's an action just called 'Play/Pause' which controls the current media. You can pick that action - go into it and switch it to explicitly be a 'pause' action'. I have it set so on Bluetooth connect to my Tesla, Pause media. If there's a timing issue where the car starts the media after it pauses, (or the phone does - not sure which one does it - it appears to be the phone doing it) then you can add a 'wait' action as well before the pause.

I also found this automation, and it worked great for a while (except for the notification every time it ran) but since the last ios update it requires the manual confirmation to run. Before it didn't. This makes the automation more or less useless..

I also found this automation, and it worked great for a while (except for the notification every time it ran) but since the last ios update it requires the manual confirmation to run. Before it didn't. This makes the automation more or less useless..
It doesn't really matter to me whether or not it requires confirmation, although I have personally seen no difference in its behavior between iOS 13.1.1 and 13.1.2. The existence of the automation seemingly prevents the music player from starting, as if the automation interferes with the starting of the music player. Although the notificiation of the automation (which cannot be disabled) is an annoyance, the music player never starts on my phone, so I never get it showing on my lock screen. This notification is way more tolerable than the music player starting every time I open a door.

It doesn't really matter to me whether or not it requires confirmation, although I have personally seen no difference in its behavior between iOS 13.1.1 and 13.1.2. The existence of the automation seemingly prevents the music player from starting, as if the automation interferes with the starting of the music player. Although the notificiation of the automation (which cannot be disabled) is an annoyance, the music player never starts on my phone, so I never get it showing on my lock screen. This notification is way more tolerable than the music player starting every time I open a door.
Well, shoot! My iPhone is now starting music again every time it connects to the car. Now I have that panel AND the notification of the automation popping up every time. Since the automation doesn't really accomplish anything (the music player always starts up paused anyway), I disabled it. I wish I could figure out why is wasn't starting up and now does.

• Informative
Reactions: Decibelle
Well, shoot! My iPhone is now starting music again every time it connects to the car. Now I have that panel AND the notification of the automation popping up every time. Since the automation doesn't really accomplish anything (the music player always starts up paused anyway), I disabled it. I wish I could figure out why is wasn't starting up and now does.
Well, I have a better understanding of the sequence of events now that leads to whether the music player starts automatically or not.

I noted that immediately after my update to 2019.32.12.2 that the music player ceased starting again whenever the phone connected to the car via Bluetooth. However, after I had answered a call on the car, the music player once again began to automatically start the next time the phone's Bluetooth connected to the car.

I realize now that the automation really did nothing to affect whether the music player started. I had made the automation as soon as I upgraded to iOS 13. But this was immediately after I had updated my car to v10. Because of the v10 update, the audio connection between the phone and car had not been "established" following the v10 update. That made it appear as if the automation was the cause. I used Siri while I was in the car and that reestablished the audio connection and led to my posting quoted above.

My current theory is that if the car's software is updated, the audio connection between the iPhone and car is lost and will not be reestablished merely by a Bluetooth reconnection with the car. However, the next time the phone tries to play audio on the car (via the Bluetooth connection) for any reason (i.e. Siri, phone call, selecting "Phone" on the car), an audio link with the car is established and, from that point on, the music player on the phone will start every time the Bluetooth reconnects to the car. Right now, I don't know how to undo that association that the car is selected as the audio device for the phone other than a software update to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: _jal_
What "Disconnect button"?
The effect is only good for the day.
3893A4C5-959F-4B51-9ACF-D7C38C6B1716.jpeg

What "Disconnect button"?
For iPhones anyhow, if you go to the Bluetooth device list, click the (i) next to the device, a menu appears allowing you to disconnect or forget the device. (You have to be connected to the device) I do that when I want to disconnect from my speaker and let someone else connect without having to turn it off and turn it back on. Just as an experiment, I wonder if you did that if it would return the connection to the state it is in right after an OTA update to the car.

If I leave the range of my little Bluetooth speaker while playing audio, it starts playing from my phone. Then when I reenter the range of the speaker, it automatically reconnects and it starts playing from there. If I disconnect before leaving the range of the speaker, it doesn't automatically reconnect when I reenter the range. It appears as if it is designed that way. So I wonder if when we're leaving our cars it's doing the same thing and then picking up where it left off when we reenter range. Just an experiment; not really a fix.

It's frustrating as hell

Even if you quit those apps? I have never had any of those start playing if I deliberately force quit the app, but it has happened with the music app.
Just tested this. Result was not auto-play but “Choose medium from phone“ appeared in the media player. That is an improvement. Earlier today the podcast app did start playing the arbitrarily “next” one when I got in the car with the app having been open but not the last active app. Not great but I’ll take it.

Last edited:
Just tested this. Result was not auto-play but “Choose medium from phone“ appeared in the media player. That is an improvement. Earlier today the podcast app did start playing the arbitrarily “next” one when I got in the car with the app having been open but not the last active app. Not great but I’ll take it.

This usually works, but sometimes the iphone launches the music app and starts playing something even though I haven’t run the music app for weeks. Very frustrating.

I got my new MS about six weeks ago. It doesn’t have this issue. I don’t know if it is a new software version, or that I have mcu2 now instead of mcu1, or some other variable, but it definitely doesn’t auto play like my old ms did. Fwiw