Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone no longer connects automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my recent MCU2 upgrade re-pairing my iPhone via Bluetooth was easy, and all the BT functions work perfectly. However, the car will no longer connect to the phone automatically when I enter the car as it did every time for the last three years. Repeating the pairing is not necessary, but I must connect the phone manually before I can get music or telephone functioning, a major 3-step-and-wait annoyance.
I powered down the phone, rebooted the MCU, and repeated the pairing process from scratch three times, but no joy. Pairing is easy. Automatic Bluetooth connection is a no-go.
Tesla BT troubleshooting says to contact Service, but any suggestions?

Following the MCU2 upgrade, I was checking everything out in the garage with the driver's door open to keep cool.
On the Model 3 forum, I learned that automatic connection was changed to occur only when the door is closed and someone is occupying the driver's seat. This may have been done when an update started to lower the volume whenever a door is opened.
At any rate, when I closed the door, I got instant automatic connection. (I'd have discovered that sooner, but I'm driving only seldom during the pandemic.)

Reactions: captjoemcd
We also experienced lack of instant connection after an update from several months ago on our two 2018 M3. It's gotten better but still randomly connects.
Also, since that update we have experienced random glitches to the car sound. Randomly, when calls (incoming or outgoing) get routed through the bluetooth, ALL car sound turns-off. I can't hear the person on the other end, hear my blinker, etc. Has this happened to anyone else?