Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IPhone no longer works as key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an iPhone 13. It worked perfectly as a key for my car until about two months ago. Now it works only about 25% of the time. I’ve done everything I can think of even deleting the entire phone and setting it up as a new phone with only the Tesla app on it and it still will not work. Is there anyone else having problems with an iPhone 13? On iOS 15

Hate to ask the obvious, but do you fiddle with Bluetooth settings a lot? Or Airplane mode? Maybe check if Bluetooth headphones or a Bluetooth keyboard will work with it.

I rarely have issues with iPhone as a key and then solving it usually involves unlocking the phone.

Maybe an interference issue? I carry two phones (one dedicated for work) and when in my pocket it will sometimes block the signal where it's not detected immediately. Maybe a recent change in where you carry the phone (back pocket?)? Have you tried backing up your phone, and doing a factory reset and see if that resolves the issue? Just some ideas... Also, maybe "Clear Network Settings" on your iPhone may also clear up Bluetooth issues.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ve done the Bluetooth on and off multiple multiple times I have made sure that locations is always on. And I’ve completely erased the phone and started it over and set it up with a new phone with only the Tesla app on it and it still does not work. I’ve had this car for over 18 months never had an issue until about three months ago. Thank you guys for all the recommendations and the help that’s why I love forums. If you can think of anything else please let me know. I’ve done all the above multiple times. Hello and my wife’s phone works perfectly. And I have a coworker that has the identical iPhone 13 that I have and his works fine. We set it up on my account.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ve done the Bluetooth on and off multiple multiple times I have made sure that locations is always on. And I’ve completely erased the phone and started it over and set it up with a new phone with only the Tesla app on it and it still does not work. I’ve had this car for over 18 months never had an issue until about three months ago. Thank you guys for all the recommendations and the help that’s why I love forums. If you can think of anything else please let me know. I’ve done all the above multiple times. Hello and my wife’s phone works perfectly. And I have a coworker that has the identical iPhone 13 that I have and his works fine. We set it up on my account.
total long shot here since you've tried everything. Special characters in a contact name has been known to cause connectivity issues. Any chance you've added a contact with parentheses, ampersand, etc.? Good luck forward...

So strange. 13 pro max here and been working fine for the last 4 months no problem.

Does your phone show "connected" in the Bluetooth settings for the Tesla Key (some long characte string in Bluetooth devices (15 characters or so)? How about in the Tesla app under the security settings? With the Tesla app open it forces the connection, but I’m curious?

Try this. Delete iPhone as a key in Locks. Set up iPhone as a key in the Tesla app. I’ve had to do this a few times when my iPhone doesn’t work as a key. Bluetooth will say its connected to the car, but iPhone as a key didn’t work. Hope this works for you.

Tried all the above even eliminating congacts with special characters. Also the other recommendations I have unpaired it and re-paired it to the car several times I’ve deleted the key in locks and put it back in several times none of the above works. I’ve been dealing with this for several months and have done everything from what has been suggested to completely erasing my phone starting from scratch as a new phone and only downloading the Tesla app and it still does not work. I’ve restarted the car a couple times that did not help either. I’m thinking it might have something to do with iCloud.

Tried all the above even eliminating congacts with special characters. Also the other recommendations I have unpaired it and re-paired it to the car several times I’ve deleted the key in locks and put it back in several times none of the above works. I’ve been dealing with this for several months and have done everything from what has been suggested to completely erasing my phone starting from scratch as a new phone and only downloading the Tesla app and it still does not work. I’ve restarted the car a couple times that did not help either. I’m thinking it might have something to do with iCloud.
Have had this happen several times since upgrading to the iPhone 13. Simply taking it out of my pocket and waking the phone works. Seems like a phone setting that puts the phone to sleep or disables it so it doesn’t activate in your pocket. My guess is it’s an Apple power saving thing to disable transmitting to save battery life. No clue

completely erasing my phone starting from scratch as a new phone and only downloading the Tesla app and it still does not work. I’ve restarted the car a couple times that did not help either. I’m thinking it might have something to do with iCloud.

If the phone was completely erased there should not be any icloud configurations. Did you try to just download the Tesla App, and nothing else (don't add your icloud account to the phone). Honestly, been a while since iOS and iCloud have been mixed this may not be possible on the latest iOS.

Maybe the bluetooth on the phone is not working? Have you tried to do a warranty swap or tried another phone?

Last edited:
If the phone was completely erased there should not be any icloud configurations. Did you try to just download the Tesla App, and nothing else (don't add your icloud account to the phone). Honestly, been a while since iOS and iCloud have been mixed this may not be possible on the latest iOS.

Maybe the bluetooth on the phone is not working? Have you tried to do a warranty swap or tried another phone?
Today I signed out of iCloud and my iPhone key has worked all day will check in the morning again. What do you mean by “iOS and iCloud have been mixed”?