Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IPhone no longer works as key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the same issue every once and while. Removing the phone from the car and adding back has been the best solution. I always keep the card key in my wallet so I don’t have to fiddle with the phone the first time it doesn’t work.

Yes I do use Apple wallet why?
Maybe something to do with the NFC configuration on your phone, and a particular card? Just thinking out of the box. If the phone key is still working after a couple of days layer things back in slowly. Add iCloud, but not your wallet. Add your watch separately (I'm assuming you have one) a few days later. Just slowly rebuild your configuration.

Or you can restore from your backup, and remove iCloud/Wallet and see if that allows your key to work. Just different approaches.

I'm having the same problem trying to use a iPhone 13 as a phone key with a refresh Model X. My wife has an iPhone 11 and it works fine. I also tried an older phone of mine (iPhone 5s) and while the latest iOS app won't run on it, it works fine as a phone key. Tried all of Tesla Service's suggestions but it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm having the same problem trying to use a iPhone 13 as a phone key with a refresh Model X. My wife has an iPhone 11 and it works fine. I also tried an older phone of mine (iPhone 5s) and while the latest iOS app won't run on it, it works fine as a phone key. Tried all of Tesla Service's suggestions but it didn't resolve the issue.
I use the 13 Pro Max, and have no issues so far (since the phone came out). Strange that this is such a headache for some.

So far I have re-added my iTunes and app account and my wallet and things are still working fine. I have a separate account for my iCloud. I’ll will wait a couple days and add that. But so far my phone is working as a key just fine again. I’m thinking it has something to do with iCloud accounts and the Tesla app not playing nice together.

So far I have re-added my iTunes and app account and my wallet and things are still working fine. I have a separate account for my iCloud. I’ll will wait a couple days and add that. But so far my phone is working as a key just fine again. I’m thinking it has something to do with iCloud accounts and the Tesla app not playing nice together.
Glad to hear there is progress. Sucks that you need to slowly rebuild your phone and not work from a backup. Have you tried a restore and just remove iTunes and wallet and reinstall the Tesla app/re-pair your phone as a key?

Glad to hear there is progress. Sucks that you need to slowly rebuild your phone and not work from a backup. Have you tried a restore and just remove iTunes and wallet and reinstall the Tesla app/re-pair your phone as a key?
So what I’ve done now is to sign back into iCloud. That caused the phone key to disconnect. I wanted to get some things back so I restored from a back up. Then went into iCloud and turned off a bunch of stuff everything but a couple of items and it stays connected longer but it still disconnects. It has something to do with iCloud. By the way I resigned and iTunes and my purchases which is a different account also rebuilt wallet in the phone worked perfectly until I signed back into iCloud. So I will just have to work through the iCloud issue and figure out what it is. I may end up having to create a new iCloud account which will be a bummer having to try and transfer everything.

Reactions: Jetpad
Apple stuff. I love it, but often when you stray from the middle-of-the-road setup things get messy.

I am still on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. For my last three Teslas and my present one I have never once had any problem at all. Yesterday suddenly my car said 'key not present' while driving. The bluetooth works Fien opening and closing and the car started flawlessly when turning on in the app, but it would not start the ca as usual. I will try resetting the car key settings first. Oddly this happened just after I upgraded to 2022.4.5.3, so I suspect some sort of upgrade glitch.

Interesting - my wife has an iPhone 13 and she had this issue yesterday. Drove the car an hour to a baby shower, using the phone as key, then when she came out to go home 3 hours later, it didn't work. She had to use her card. When she got home I deleted and re-added her phone and it's working again. Fortunately, she had her card!

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I am still on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. For my last three Teslas and my present one I have never once had any problem at all. Yesterday suddenly my car said 'key not present' while driving. The bluetooth works Fien opening and closing and the car started flawlessly when turning on in the app, but it would not start the ca as usual. I will try resetting the car key settings first. Oddly this happened just after I upgraded to 2022.4.5.3, so I suspect some sort of upgrade glitch.
My car told me to turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone and then turn it back on. I did and it worked immediately. I did not even need to reinstall. I too think it was an upgrade glitch, in my case not the iPhone but the car firmware. I hope all problems can be resolved so easily.
FWIW, this is my first such problem during, now, my 10th year of Tesla driving. O course my first two years were in borrowed cars, not mine.

For me this is deff an iCloud issue. I have been signed out of my iCloud account for over a week and my iPhone key has worked perfectl. Hope this helps others. Now to figure out how to get my stuff from an iCloud account to a different one.
Have you tried restoring from a backup and then just logging out of iCloud? Just to confirm it’s just the iCloud login causing the issue?

iCloud really should just be pushing backups, data and images to the cloud. I’m curious if a restore that is logged out also solves the issue.

Then create a new iCloud account, and login to that account. Confirm if the issue is still gone. Just to test it and let your pho be backup/sync to the new account. Then worry about moving the data over that is still missing.

I have an iPhone 13. It worked perfectly as a key for my car until about two months ago. Now it works only about 25% of the time. I’ve done everything I can think of even deleting the entire phone and setting it up as a new phone with only the Tesla app on it and it still will not work. Is there anyone else having problems with an iPhone 13? On iOS 15
Were you ever able to resolve this? I called service to come out to do a hard reboot on the car and we got it working but then after he left and I drove the car the first time it stopped working and now I can't the phone key to work. Sometimes I'm able to sit in the car and reconnect it, but then it disconnects after the first stop. I event upgraded to the iPhone 13 believing this would resolve it, but the problem persists. Very odd bluetooth related bug. Thanks for letting me know an update.

For me this is deff an iCloud issue. I have been signed out of my iCloud account for over a week and my iPhone key has worked perfectl. Hope this helps others. Now to figure out how to get my stuff from an iCloud account to a different one.
You are right! Thanks for helping me solved this headache!

Long story short, my wife’s iPhone 13 (what an incident!) stopped being recognized as phone key after flawlessly working for months during a drive. Her phone just stuck at pairing process while it looks like her Bluetooth being successfully connect to the car. I tried many ways until I saw your post. Signed out from her iCloud account and the car immediately recognized the phone! Thanks! Now I have to figure out how to get the iCloud back to work.

Reactions: OCJeff
Were you ever able to resolve this? I called service to come out to do a hard reboot on the car and we got it working but then after he left and I drove the car the first time it stopped working and now I can't the phone key to work. Sometimes I'm able to sit in the car and reconnect it, but then it disconnects after the first stop. I event upgraded to the iPhone 13 believing this would resolve it, but the problem persists. Very odd bluetooth related bug. Thanks for letting me know an update.
I have been out of the country for a while and just saw your post. I am just now signing back into iCloud to see if the problem comes back. I signed out of iCloud and it has worked flawlessly for over a month now. Will let everyone know if it stops working after signing back in to iCloud account.