Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone not charging on wireless charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your phone doing while on the charger? It is probably only getting 7.5W or so from that wireless charger before any losses, so if your phone was busy with GPS on, BLE streaming music or talking away, etc. then the power used versus power in from charging could be a wash.

Last edited:
My iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn't work every on the wireless charger. My Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra does. The ONLY wireless charger that seems to consistently is the overpriced Apple magsafe one. I have tried at least 10 other with the phone. I swear they do something so it won't work. Even the one that worked on my iPhone X and iPhone 11 won't work with the 12.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn't work every on the wireless charger. My Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra does. The ONLY wireless charger that seems to consistently is the overpriced Apple magsafe one. I have tried at least 10 other with the phone. I swear they do something so it won't work. Even the one that worked on my iPhone X and iPhone 11 won't work with the 12.
I have a 2021 Y and my iPhone 12 Pro Max charges on the wireless charger.

VIN 209XXX

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I decided to just check and see if that was the case since I last tested it. It works on the passenger side of the charger if I hold it to the left of that spot as much as possible. I can't seem to find the sweet spot on the driver's side. I also tested on the passenger side and if I have anything other than the bare phone, even a very thin case, it doesn't work.

I tried it both ways. It only charges on the passenger side and without a case. I have a very thin case that I use and it will charge with the magsafe charger just fine. It isn't a major issue for me as I can't easily see what I need on the phone anyway and use Waze the most so I have a phone mount off of the center screen. I'll just run a power cable for my phone if on a trip.

I just installed the Tesla QI charger on my 2018 Model S. My iPhone 12 Pro Max is in a Tech 21 case which charges fine on my home QI charger. When I put it on the Tesla wireless charger, it begins to charge with no problem, but during the charge cycle, it will just stop charging. I remove it, reinsert and same cycle all over again. Anyone else have same issues? Trying to determine if it's the charger or I need a thinner case.

I just installed the Tesla QI charger on my 2018 Model S. My iPhone 12 Pro Max is in a Tech 21 case which charges fine on my home QI charger. When I put it on the Tesla wireless charger, it begins to charge with no problem, but during the charge cycle, it will just stop charging. I remove it, reinsert and same cycle all over again. Anyone else have same issues? Trying to determine if it's the charger or I need a thinner case.
What happens when you remove the Tech 21 case, does the iPhone 12 Pro Max charge without the case? QED.

What happens when you remove the Tech 21 case, does the iPhone 12 Pro Max charge without the case? QED.
When I remove the case, it charges fine. I went to Apple Store today, and they didn’t think that my case was a problem, but I bought an Apple branded silicone case and will try it and see if it makes a difference. I’ve got 14 days to return. If no improvement, then to my Tesla service center for them to figure it out.

Coincidentally, my significant other has the same exact phone and case, and I’ll try hers as well and see if the same results.

When I remove the case, it charges fine. I went to Apple Store today, and they didn’t think that my case was a problem, but I bought an Apple branded silicone case and will try it and see if it makes a difference. I’ve got 14 days to return. If no improvement, then to my Tesla service center for them to figure it out.
When I purchased my iPhone SE2 I contacted Otterbox and asked which model case was compatible with wireless charging. Until then I had been using the Otterbox Defender. Otterbox support advised me that the Otterbox Commuter case was compatible with wireless charging but not the Defender case as it was too thick. I purchased a Commuter case and have had no issues with wireless charging.

The lower charger edge is curved and lifts the lower part of the iPhone. Pushing the iPhone a little upwards, solves the problem. I’ll try to insert something at the lower edge of the charger to permanently solve the problem.

I know this is an old thread... I just picked up a 2023 MYLR and my iPhone 14 Pro max doesn't charge. The salesman put his phone on the pad and it did charge. He had an Apple case while I had a cheap Amazon knockoff. Apparently, the mag ring in the case makes a difference. My son has a SPECS case and also has no problem.