Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone not unlocking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past 2 updates, my iPhone is no longer opening my model Y, when I approach the car. makes me use by Tesla card to unlock car/start the car.

How have others addressed? Does reinstalling the Tesla App work? or something else? Re-pair my iPhone with my MY?

Curious if others have similar issues?

Reactions: C-Bus Y
Here's what they made me do at the SC.
  1. Delete the phone key from the car
  2. Delete the bluetooth device from the car
  3. Delete the mobile app from the phone
  4. Download and install the mobile app on the phone
  5. Sign in to Tesla Account using the mobile app
  6. Create new phone key
  7. Pair new bluetooth device
Seems to have worked for me, but don't know for how long though.

Hope that helps...

Have you tried turning off the bluetooth stack in your phone, waiting say 5 sec and turning it back on? Or rebooting your phone. Could be out of sync with the security handshakes, needs to be reset. I have had similar type of bluetooth related issues with other non-Tesla gear lately, and that fixed it. Worth a shot.

Sometimes when I don't launch the app on my iphone I can get inside, but it won't allow me to start my car or switch gears. It shows a giant green circle and some text. I need to launch the app from my iphone then I can switch gears to drive.

This happened before the 35.5 firmware update as well.

Over the past 2 updates, my iPhone is no longer opening my model Y, when I approach the car. makes me use by Tesla card to unlock car/start the car.

How have others addressed? Does reinstalling the Tesla App work? or something else? Re-pair my iPhone with my MY?

I just now realized that I didn't have these issues (only the first 5-6 days of ownership) prior to the past 2 updates.

Hope Tesla fixes this. It's a royal pain.

I made a service appointment via the app and the next day I received a message in the app asking for additional detail (times and events) because the logs in the y are massive (no surprise).

I called and was able to give exact time because my iPad had a notification when my phone was removed as a key. The next day I provided information exactly when the phone key did not work because it happened two additional times after.

The person I spoke with said they would remote in and view the logs. Not sure (and don’t care) if they fixed things behind the scene because ever since I submitted the last time I was locked out, it’s been working flawlessly.

Will cancel the service appointment if everything works as designed.

I am having the same problems. Sometimes car opens when I approach it and not other times. Sometimes walk away lock works and sometimes it doesn’t (scary). When in the car, sometimes it will operate and other times I get directed to hold key card to console ( at least that does work without taking it out of my wallet). Suggestions ?

Now my wife and I are having this issue. Started yesterday and it's not working for either of us. If we open the app and unlock, hit the climate, etc. the Y unlocks. I wonder if the latest version of iOS hosed this up for us. Sounds like not though after reading the comments here. Has been flawless until yesterday.

I just posted the same issue. Sounds like not the only ones and seems to be Iphone only.
For our Model Y, Phone key works fine on Iphone 12 for a few weeks, then is lost. Samsung android works fine, so far.
It's not the bluetooth, Tesla app on Iphone 12 shows its connected, shows vehicle status, and can manually unlock/lock car.
But no Iphone key!

I just now realized that I didn't have these issues (only the first 5-6 days of ownership) prior to the past 2 updates.

Hope Tesla fixes this. It's a royal pain.
And THIS is why ALWAYS have your Tesla keycard. At one point, my wife didn't think it was so important to have it since the phone worked perfectly for a few months. Well yesterday, her Iphone suddenly stopped unlocking and starting the vehicle and she was in a hurry. Keycard saved her!