Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Text Alerts are Silent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I should say that I do not text and drive....

I do, however, like to know that a text has come in so that I can check once I arrive at my destination, or have my passenger check for me. With my iPhone 4, there is no longer any sound when my phone is paired via BT. Is there any way to fix this so that the text alert sound either comes from the phone or vehicle? If I happen to be on a call at the time it does signal me via the BT connection.

I do want the safety of the BT connection so would like the phone paired while driving.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I did try a search with no results.

Thanks!

First I should say that I do not text and drive....

I do, however, like to know that a text has come in so that I can check once I arrive at my destination, or have my passenger check for me. With my iPhone 4, there is no longer any sound when my phone is paired via BT. Is there any way to fix this so that the text alert sound either comes from the phone or vehicle? If I happen to be on a call at the time it does signal me via the BT connection.

I do want the safety of the BT connection so would like the phone paired while driving.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I did try a search with no results.

Thanks!

What other cars do this? The alerts can only be heard when there is an active connection between your phone and the vehicle. If you want to be able to hear alerts, that means the car has to be in constant BT communication with the vehicle - not just when you listen to music, etc. That would be a huge drain on your mobile phone's battery. I have several vehicles that use BT, none of them allow you to hear the text tone unless you are on a call or listening to music.

You're seeing a limitation of the iphone. When it is paired and set to have its audio out to Bluetooth, all audio including text alerts and rings go through the connected Bluetooth device. Thus, to hear your text alerts you need to have the car audio set to the Bluetooth connection.

Not sure if this is the same with other mobile OS's.

What other cars do this? The alerts can only be heard when there is an active connection between your phone and the vehicle. If you want to be able to hear alerts, that means the car has to be in constant BT communication with the vehicle - not just when you listen to music, etc. That would be a huge drain on your mobile phone's battery. I have several vehicles that use BT, none of them allow you to hear the text tone unless you are on a call or listening to music.

If BT is active, then it is in constant communication, that's why you can get calls through the phone.
s the following poster states, though, is it seems that it's an iPhone issue moreso than a Tesla issue that the other alerts are muted when BT is connected. Not only do the alerts not sound through the car's audio system, but the phone itself is muted, which is the real issue.

I've partly addressed this inconvenience by turning on the visual alert (under accessibility in the settings) so the light flashes whenever a new text or email or reminder comes through. At night, in particular, that helps alert me to the fact that there's something going on, sometimes I can see it during the day too.

You're seeing a limitation of the iphone. When it is paired and set to have its audio out to Bluetooth, all audio including text alerts and rings go through the connected Bluetooth device. Thus, to hear your text alerts you need to have the car audio set to the Bluetooth connection.

This is not my experience with iPhones (4S, 5S) and other in-car infotainment systems (Pioneer after-market, LEAF factory) where I am always paired via Bluetooth but typically not using the Bluetooth audio connection. I do hear the text alert sound from the phone. The Bluetooth audio connection does not become active until it's selected via the car system or via a phone call. Siri responses come through the phone as well unless the Bluetooth audio connection is active. One exception is starting nav guidance on the phone, then everything is routed to Bluetooth but you have to manually tell the car system to switch to hear it. Can't speak to Model S behavior but it sounds like it's not implemented properly – sounds like they're holding the Bluetooth audio connection open even when not in use.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if this is true. When I use Waze, I can listen to the radio or Slacker and the iPhone will occasionally interrupt these sources to give me GPS directions or audio warnings about driving conditions.

I'm not sure if this is true. When I use Waze, I can listen to the radio or Slacker and the iPhone will occasionally interrupt these sources to give me GPS directions or audio warnings about driving conditions.

Is the interruption played through the Bluetooth audio source or the iPhone's own speaker? I've used these apps and in my experience the audio interruptions from nav apps plays via the currently active output device: headphone, iphone speaker, or Bluetooth device/car. Thus, it's still the same problem: unless you have the car tuned to the Bluetooth input you won't hear other audio prompts.

Is the interruption played through the Bluetooth audio source or the iPhone's own speaker? I've used these apps and in my experience the audio interruptions from nav apps plays via the currently active output device: headphone, iphone speaker, or Bluetooth device/car. Thus, it's still the same problem: unless you have the car tuned to the Bluetooth input you won't hear other audio prompts.

Waze plays instructions/etc,. through the car's audio system. It interrupts the radio or slacker.

Waze plays instructions/etc,. through the car's audio system. It interrupts the radio or slacker.

Are you listening to the car's radio/slacker, or an app on your phone?

This is not the behavior I've experienced*. Granted, I generally don't like my phone making much noise, so SMS only vibrates, but when I've used Google Maps for navigation on my phone, I can only hear the turn-by-turn directions if I select my phone from the car's Media app.

*Though it is how I would like to have the car operate if possible.

[FONT=&amp]I realize this thread is a year old (exactly BTW) but I thought I would post here to see if anyone has figured out a way to have various alert sounds from a bluetooth-connected iPhone 6 interrupt the MS radio or slacker (the same way an incoming telephone call does).

I don't use Waze, but from GasDoc's post above, it seems that Waze alerts already interrupt the radio or slacker. The Apps I use don't do it (such as Voxer). An iPhone "Redirection" App that could redirect selected alerts would be great. Doing it with on-screen messages like the CallerID would be even better.

In my[/FONT] searching, I've realized this is also a problem with bluetooth-connected smart watches, which are getting much attention lately. [FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

@Bill D

Interestingly, Siri DOES speak over Bluetooth even if you are listening to Slacker.

So this says it should be possible to route alerts through Bluetooth in theory. There used to be an option for the Maps app that would route prompts over Bluetooth when the iPhone is not the audio source, but that seems to be missing now.

Looks like something that Apple need to provide; time for a suggestion.

@Bill D

Interestingly, Siri DOES speak over Bluetooth even if you are listening to Slacker.

So this says it should be possible to route alerts through Bluetooth in theory. There used to be an option for the Maps app that would route prompts over Bluetooth when the iPhone is not the audio source, but that seems to be missing now.

Looks like something that Apple need to provide; time for a suggestion.
Yes, Siri or any iPhone app that uses a bluetooth mic & speaker will mute the radio and take over the car's mic & speaker while that app is actively displayed on the iPhone. This will let you receive notifications from only one app over the car's speakers if you drive with that app displayed on the iPhone, which keeps the radio muted.

What I want is to play the radio, but have it briefly interrupted by the notification tones that the iPhone generates for multiple apps while they are closed. Also having the iPhone's notification banners display on the dash would be even better. This seems to be the same requirements that smart watches have while they are coupled via bluetooth to a closed iPhone in your pocket or purse. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that will let me get what I want, but I haven't found it.

As pointed out above one "work-around" to do this is to have vibrate set and keep the iPhone under your leg.