Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Text Alerts are Silent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem here is that Bluetooth is not one thing. It's a whole set of protocols (profiles in BT speak). Most implementations have only a small subset of the possible profiles, which makes BT a pain in the posterior for most people because there's always some function that doesn't work.

The problem here is that Bluetooth is not one thing. It's a whole set of protocols (profiles in BT speak). Most implementations have only a small subset of the possible profiles, which makes BT a pain in the posterior for most people because there's always some function that doesn't work.
That explanation makes sense. The iPhone probably supports the necessary BT protocols because smart watches and some cars exist that work with an iPhone exactly the way the MS should, including the notification sounds and the on-screen alert messages.

The MS seems to only implement a subset, such as the ringing for incoming calls and displaying the CallerID on-screen alert message. I guess we'll just have to sit tight (on our vibrating iPhones) and wait for those additional BT protocols to be added by Tesla in a future software update.

Last edited:
I think a good option would be to add a mixer in the sound setting area, that would let you mix in the sounds from your phone, like 0 to 100%. Also adding a mixer for the microphone might also be a good idea. I suggested something like this maybe a year ago.

I posted this in the firmware thread. The easiest fix for this common problem is when the Audio source is *not* the bluetooth mediao audio connection, then disconnect just the Bluetooth media connection, but leave the BT phone connection active/connected. This would have the affect of the text and email sounds being routed to the phone's internal speaker until the audio source is set to BT, then they'll be routed through along with the music, so you'd still hear them. But now, the text sounds are still going to the BT output, but the car isn't switched to play those.. so they go nowhere.

The problem is that the Model S keeps the Media Bluetooth profile connected all the time, even when it's not being used.

The reason that Waze and other apps do punch through is that they simulate a phone call on the BT Phone connection, which will interrupt whatever else is playing.

The only drawback would be a very short delay when selecting the BT Audio connection while it re-connects with the phone, but that's a small price to pay to be able to hear all the native sounds when no listening to BT audio.

I found a solution to this very old post because obviously still a problem unless you know how to fix. its not the best fix as you probably have to do this every time you get into your car, but at least a fix for when you really need to hear sounds on your phone while driving

This if for iPhone on iOS 12...

When paired with your bluetooth in your car do the following:
1. swipe down from right corner if iphone X or newer (or swipe up from bottom for older phones) to get to command center (where flashlight is for example)
2. in upper right corner is the music controls, touch the upper right hand corner of that music box
3. when in the music box you will see the Tesla linked to the phone and an option to select your iphone instead
4. select sounds to come to your iphone instead of your Tesla

after doing this i tested streaming music and that worked immediately. phone remains connected through bluetooth this way

the only down side if that you might need to do this every time you enter the car

My Droid Turbo 2 and previous Turbo worked great with text messaging. Motorola had an app that when a text message came in it would announce over the car speaker that a message came in from xxx an ask if I wanted it to read the message. It would then read the message that came in followed by asking if I would like to reply. I could either cancel or reply. It worked great. Than my phone gave it up and I had to get a new one. I ended up getting a Pixel 3 XL. This phone does not handle text messages like this. I have tried a couple of apps that are supposed to do the same thing.. they don't work. While I am diving, or when the phone is paired to the MS, I can't hear messages come in. So, I am experiencing the same thing that most of the posters here are talking about. So far, I have not found a viable workaround other than just giving up on text messaging when the phone is paired to the car.