Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iphone vs android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't gotten my M3 yet, but wondering whether an iphone or an android interfaces better with a Tesla. I had iphone for years, got disgusted with the apparent planned obsolescence every time a new phone came out, changed to Samsung 9. Having difficulties with the Samsung, just not as user friendly, and worried this will translate into car function difficulties. Would appreciate input whether I should switch back to iphone before M3 arrives!
Thanks.

Unfortunately, anecodotal data suggest you will probably have "car function difficulties" no matter which phone you choose. Just more or less of them, depending. Personally, I would define a successful phone-as-key technology this way: with the phone in my pocket, does the door handle unlock as I reach for it, every time? With the phone in my pocket, will the car allow me to drive away, every time? With the phone still in my pocket, will it lock as I walk away from it, every time?
Neither phone offers that degree of reliability, and if one did, it might not next week. Or the week after.
Dial your expectations down and you will not be disappointed.
Robin

I picked up my model 3 on Saturday and like you I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. So far, i haven't had any issues with the Phone/Car interface. The walk away lock feature has been working well (locks when i get about 10 to 15 feet away) and it unlocks the car everytime. Of course, that's just my experience over the past 4 days.

Haven't gotten my M3 yet, but wondering whether an iphone or an android interfaces better with a Tesla. I had iphone for years, got disgusted with the apparent planned obsolescence every time a new phone came out, changed to Samsung 9. Having difficulties with the Samsung, just not as user friendly, and worried this will translate into car function difficulties. Would appreciate input whether I should switch back to iphone before M3 arrives!
Thanks.
I picked up my Model 3 on 7/27, and have an Android-- about 2 years old. I've had no issues so far with the M3, and even if I had some, I'd not switch to an iPhone :).

Personally, I would define a successful phone-as-key technology this way: with the phone in my pocket, does the door handle unlock as I reach for it, every time?
For me, Yes.
With the phone in my pocket, will the car allow me to drive away, every time?
For me, Yes.
With the phone still in my pocket, will it lock as I walk away from it, every time?
For me, Yes.

I have an iPhone 6 and the phone key has worked 100% of the time since I picked up my car. Not everyone is having problems with this, regardless of how it appears on the internet.

Reactions: Runt8
Unfortunately, anecodotal data suggest you will probably have "car function difficulties" no matter which phone you choose. Just more or less of them, depending. Personally, I would define a successful phone-as-key technology this way: with the phone in my pocket, does the door handle unlock as I reach for it, every time? With the phone in my pocket, will the car allow me to drive away, every time? With the phone still in my pocket, will it lock as I walk away from it, every time?
Neither phone offers that degree of reliability, and if one did, it might not next week. Or the week after.
Dial your expectations down and you will not be disappointed.
Robin

For over 6 months my iPhone has offered that degree of reliability. Many other people have had different experiences though.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
Anecdotally from reading reports here, it seems like early on, the iPhone was more reliable than Androids.

Personally, I had problems with my Pixel 2 onandroid 8.x or a while. It would fail maybe 25% of the time. However, when I got the 21.9 update a couple months ago, the failure rate went down dramatically, to less than 10%. With the 28.1 update, I've yet to have it fail, though I've only had it for a week now. Recently went to Android 9 with no problem.

Thanks.

Following the phone key thread, it sounds like the vast majority of folks having issues are using Android phones. That said, some devices are better than others, so perhaps the one you have will be fine. And switching back to an iPhone won't guarantee that you won't have issues.

No harm in waiting until you get the car and seeing how it goes.. and if you choose to switch back to an iPhone for other reasons, you can be fairly confident it PROBABLY won't make your phone key situation worse.. but who knows.

I can't speak to other functions (Tesla app, 3rd party apps you might want to use with the car) and I've not used Android apps with the car. Speaking of which, hmm, I should try them out on one of my spare Android tablets :)

For over 6 months my iPhone has offered that degree of reliability. Many other people have had different experiences though.

Let me make an amendment:
Anecdotal evidence suggests that some owners have a reliable phone key relationship. So far. The question you have to ask yourself, as Clint put it long ago, is this:
Do I feel lucky?
Well? Do you?
Robin

Last edited: